Want to get a FTB hosting for me and my friends, what hosting should I pick up?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys! Posting it here, because it seems like questions like this don't fit in Servers section. If I am wrong, please tell it to me.
Som the title explains everything for me. I'm looking for a server for 3-5 players that is capable of holding a FTB Unleashed/Uninged server with no lag. My internet, sadly, can't do that, have to look for a hosting :p
So, any advices?

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
I can't speak from any sort of experience as I just do SSP. So take my opinion with a grain of salt as I'm just trying to be helpful and relaying what I've heard.

FTB is sponsored by Creeperhost and they rent out servers for that. I don't know how good they are compared to their competitors, but from what I gather you would prob want to get their Zombie or Spider package for @ $15/mo for decent performance.

To be fair I have heard a few arguments as it's a virtual computer about CPU allocation. This can be an issue if the company oversold their hardware and causes it to bog down during prime-time. The arguments I have read seem to be mostly academic and not 'real' in nature as I haven't read anyone stating they have that issue. If that is a concern then you can do physical server, but expect to pay a good chunk more for it.

------ edit -----

I have also heard PTOHost is pretty good ... you'd prob want stone to iron.

Ytramx

Jul 29, 2019
All I can say is that I do NOT recommend CreeperHost. We've been running a zombie server with them for a couple of months now, and have had several outages, and random server stops. There's only two of us, and we're rarely on at the same time, and we've only got about 4 active chunk loaders at one time.

Reactions: DZCreeper

iwishiknew

Jul 29, 2019
Creeperhost has been working the server that I'm on. I'm not sure of the package, but we have anywhere from 2-6 people on at the same time on average. We had some issues at first with random server reboots/resets but they worked with the admin and fixed the issue, I think they even looked at config files.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
How technically competent are you? A good VPS or dedicated machine is under $50 a month and will destroy a GSP like CreeperHost in terms of performance.
You would have to setup everything yourself though, no fancy control panel unless you buy something like McMyAdmin or code your own.

Jammie

Jul 29, 2019
If i were you I wouldn't go with Creeperhost as I've heard bad things about them. I'm currently using HostHorde and their service is great so far. However, as creeper says above me if you're competent then a VPS or Dedi would be best bang for your buck. If you're only ever looking to host 3-5 people then a GSP would probably be your best option as it's the least hassle. Most will be fine for such few people.

Luke_H

Jul 29, 2019
If i were you I wouldn't go with Creeperhost as I've heard bad things about them. I'm currently using HostHorde and their service is great so far. However, as creeper says above me if you're competent then a VPS or Dedi would be best bang for your buck. If you're only ever looking to host 3-5 people then a GSP would probably be your best option as it's the least hassle. Most will be fine for such few people.

What bad things?

Reactions: Eyamaz

Jammie

Jul 29, 2019
What bad things?

Honestly I can't remember now, but your company was my first choice for a host and as I kept looking at forum posts and reviews i decided against it. I understand forum posts aren't always truthful but I was just put off.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
If you are technically literate enough, I know of some people who choose to run their own server. I am not sure what this would involve in terms of monthly costs, but it would take the control of the server, completely into your hands. It might even be a worthwhile project for you to get into, learn something about servers, etc. It'll give you the opportunity to become literate in a very important part of the gaming community.

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I know how to forward ports. That's a lot right?... Right?... :p
Well, maybe I will. I just want to play with friends for now.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
You can make it work on a budget, you just will have to settle for not having a server equivalent to what government agencies use (joke). Even outfitting a computer with all your old parts can serve as your server hub. You just need to make sure it has enough (whatever) to run as a server rather than a client.

Jul 29, 2019
My machine is powerful enough to host a FTB server, but my upload speed is really slow(50kb/s), so it lags like hell for my friend

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well I don't know what is good practice with server hosting and what not, but I think it'd be better to dedicate a machine that is specifically tuned for server-hosting, for hosting. This is simply because of all the tweeking you must do. You might have to make adjustments to the OS, etc. to account for that fact that you are running a server, instead of a personal computer.

This is just theory though, I actually don't know.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, if you want to go VPS go creeperhost. Not a single person that has "issues" with them has been able to produce any kind of argument once asked "what issues?" Downtime? It happens, report it and they'll fix it.

If you want to go with a dedicated go with OVH. They are probably the best dedi provider I have ever seen, but you have set up most of the server yourself. Something I prefer anyway.

Just my 2 cents, but play nice. If someone asks a question about providers, don't talk bad about a provider unless you can give details about the bad experience.

Reactions: Hambeau
Jul 29, 2019
Thanks man! I think I'm gonna go with creeperhost. And I'm not saying my provider is bad, I just live in a rather old section of town, so the network cables are pretty old and can't handle high down/up speed. There is an option avilable that would give me like 20 down and 2 or 3 down, but again, my cables can't handle that.
So, the next question is, what option should I pick up if I want, say, Unleashed for 3-4 people?