Vanilla+ - Press Release

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019

! :p

Understand the vision of the pack. Somewhat don't personally understand why someone would play it(or vanilla) instead of a "fuller" pack if they had the choice.

Might serve as a good stepping stone/introduction pack for people new to modded MC or MC in general. I remember being rather overwhelmed by being dumped straight into a 1.4.7 DW20 pack.
I personally would play it because I like vanilla but not enough to ACTUALLY play it for longer than a few hours, this seems like the next best thing.

Umbrakinetic

Jul 29, 2019
Now that I think about it, maybe runic dungeons? I think that adds a sort of end for the people who have already killed the ender dragon.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
WHOOO! The hype is real! :D
Some thoughts I had:
This is a really good idea. I've tried to do stuff like this myself, but I get carried away easily. :p
I'd *kinda* like to see Battlegear in the pack, as I've found dual wield to be a lot of fun. I think there are people who would disagree with me, though.
I'd like to see Tinker's in the pack, as others have said - if it were up to me, I'd disable the smeltery entirely have have tool parts made of metal crafted directly, as in vanilla. While I do really LIKE the smeltery, I don't think it belongs in a "vanilla" environment. Similarly, I'd disable slime islands and maybe blue slimes as well. :)
I'd love to see Roguelike Dungeons. Vanilla "Dungeons" are incredibly boring. 'Nuff said.
It looks like you are NOT going to ruin the pack by including any "conversion" mods like Thermal Expansion, Thaumcraft, or anything else that sends players down a new progression. Again, I LOVE those mods, but they don't belong in vanilla.

Finally, something a bit more philosophical:
I'd say this isn't *exactly* a gateway to mods for vanilla-lovers. While this enhances the vanilla experience, I think something like Thermal Expansion or Thaumcraft or IndustrialCraft or Botania is necessary to really pull them in (again, this pack looks fantastic, but something similar if slightly different is necessary to attract new people). I have a pack ready for publishing with a whopping total of 10 mods (gotta remember those potato-computer users), including Thaumcraft, Thermal Expansion, and Twilight Forest, as well as some addons to "complete" them. I'm just waiting on some cover art. :)

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'd like to see Twilight Forest in Vanilla+. I really love it, but I don't get to play with it very often due to my own strict theming rules. :p I think it's very vanilla-esque, but I'm not sure what others think.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
argh, people, why do these new-pack threads always have to turn into a "please add my favorite mods." Type1, you seriously took the cake with the number you suggested. Its not even remotely vanilla+ by that point.

Finally, something a bit more philosophical:
I'd say this isn't *exactly* a gateway to mods for vanilla-lovers. While this enhances the vanilla experience, I think something like Thermal Expansion or Thaumcraft or IndustrialCraft or Botania is necessary to really pull them in (again, this pack looks fantastic, but something similar if slightly different is necessary to attract new people). I have a pack ready for publishing with a whopping total of 10 mods (gotta remember those potato-computer users), including Thaumcraft, Thermal Expansion, and Twilight Forest, as well as some addons to "complete" them. I'm just waiting on some cover art. :)
Those mods you list here are the polar opposite of what the pack is trying to accomplish. Those are "fun mods". The ones we, as MODDED players, like to play. This pack is supposed to appeal to VANILLA players. Boring people, ya know? Those mods are terrifying to these people. Let them get their feet wet with stuff that is closer to what they're familiar with.

That's why this makes such a perfect gateway.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
argh, people, why do these new-pack threads always have to turn into a "please add my favorite mods." Type1, you seriously took the cake with the number you suggested. Its not even remotely vanilla+ by that point.

Those mods you list here are the polar opposite of what the pack is trying to accomplish. Those are "fun mods". The ones we, as MODDED players, like to play. This pack is supposed to appeal to VANILLA players. Boring people, ya know? Those mods are terrifying to these people. Let them get their feet wet with stuff that is closer to what they're familiar with.

Hey, the only mods I suggested were TiCon and Twilight Forest, and I know TF is maybe not something people think is vanilla. My point was that Thaumcraft, Thermal Expansion, etc. do NOT belong in this pack. :p

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019

Vanilla players aren't necessarily boring, maybe they just like staying true to the game ya know?

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Another annotation to my previous post:
Thermal Expansion and company belong in a pack that isn't Vanilla+, but rather designed to be an introduction to the coolness of mods. To me, "Enhanced Vanilla" and "Introduction to Modding" are two awesome but fundamentally different ideas, and should be separate packs. :p

Reactions: 1SDAN

HazDS

Jul 29, 2019
This seems a great pack for people who want to explore modded. I remember myself starting back in the original Tekkit days even then feeling overwhelmed with the packs as small as they where back then. I know quite a few people who don't play modded for this reason and I might try and get them to give this a go, nice work guys!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm thinking the pack may serve as an excellent gateway pack for vanilla players who are curious about modded play but too intimidated/overwhelmed by the options to try it out.

This seems a great pack for people who want to explore modded. I remember myself starting back in the original Tekkit days even then feeling overwhelmed with the packs as small as they where back then. I know quite a few people who don't play modded for this reason and I might try and get them to give this a go, nice work guys!
I'm just going to pompously treat myself to a congratulatory pat on the back at this point, thanks.

Reactions: 1SDAN and HazDS

maxtrax

Jul 29, 2019
StevesWorkshop ? seems alittle out of place, dont you think?

would also recomend, latblocks, open blocks, project red and railcraft

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
StevesWorkshop ? seems alittle out of place, dont you think?
if I had to pick a single mod from the list that was probably out of place, this was the one.

Its an awesome mod and I love it, but I feel like the gui in particular is miles away from anything the vanilla player is accustomed to.