Using Steve cart tree farm for boiler

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
What are the methods for using this as a fuel for low or high pressure boiler? Do you use charcoal from logs or planks or what?

Right now I have a 3x peat farm powering a 36lp boiler with stacks and stacks of extra peat, and I have a very small Steve cart tree farm with nothing being done with the logs but storage and some charcoal being made from the logs.

Anyone done a new forestry peat farm?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming you use the standard "E" shape farm (easy guide): Logs sent to sawmill. The planks are enough to keep up 2 36HP boilers with plenty to spare.Saplings sent to fermenter and then the biomass sent to still to make Biofuel. Makes enough to power at least 2 36HP boilers. I think I saw someone claim 3, but I like having a buffer. The excess planks and charcoal (made w/ the sawdust) from the solid boilers can also probably run another boiler, but again, I like having a buffer.

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
Aww very nice. Just regular planks powering a boiler? Very nice I will have to try this, much simpler than my auto peat farm was to set up

Reactions: LORD_STRONGHOLD1

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
Any tips on biofuel? I'm not sure how to make renewable fertilizer or what makes the process more optimal.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
There is no such thing as renewable fertilizer anymore. There's apatite you dig from the ground, or saltpeter you dig from the ground, or saltpeter you process from something you dig from the ground.

Until somebody writes a mod to farm bat guano, this isn't likely to change.

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
You can make renewable fertilizer. Pulverize Sandstone to make Niter (20% chance), then pulverize that to make 2 Saltpeter. You can use Igneous Extruder to make Cobble to pulverize into Sand, then craft into the Sandstone.

You only need 3 Pulverizers, the Igneous Extruder, and an Auto-Crafting Table to get what you need.]

Edit: Forget I said anything. Did a test world. Wiki is not up to date with info.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
A tree farm will manage a boiler quite nicely. You may think at first it wont, due to the warming up stage, but once the boiler is up to max temperature, you'll have plenty of excess planks & charcoal.

Plus also don't forget that you can turn the saplings into biogas/biofuel, so you can also run some biogas engines at the same time.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
There is no such thing as renewable fertilizer anymore. There's apatite you dig from the ground, or saltpeter you dig from the ground, or saltpeter you process from something you dig from the ground.

Until somebody writes a mod to farm bat guano, this isn't likely to change.
Ender pearls dust is potassium and nitrogen in the electrolyzer. Which make saltpeter with some compressed air.