Uses for Cans?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Ive never put liquid into cans before, but with the xycraft aluminum having few uses other than making cans, i made some.

Is there any reason to make cans and not use liquiducts to move liquids around? It seems that cans were created before liquid tesseracts were 'invented' so they were originally a way to be able to move liquids long distances (remote oil well, put oil into cans then transport back to base for refining, etc.)

Is there any 'modern' use for cans, other than strictly having fun?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing to do with liquid transport... a lot more to do with liquid storage. ;) Cans hail from an era where tanks didn't exist beyond Buildcraft's glass tanks and mods generally didn't work well together (as in, you sometimes couldn't even install them together).

Industrialcraft did it first with its tin cells. And you could store 27x64 buckets of lava in a single block with them, while Buildcraft only managed 16. Quite convenient, really!

Reactions: Pokefenn

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh, i didnt even think of storage! Without railcraft/xycraft tanks, storage would be a pain. Huh, well NOW what do I do with all this aluminum...?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I have a problem of my own, somewhat related.

I made 256 barrels to store lava, but I noticed that they can't store lava.

And they aren't compatible with the liquid transposer either. Only the squeezer.

I have an uncrafting table, but it's not worth it to waste so much XP.

What do I do with them?

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
well one thing that these would do, if they worked with MFRs deep storage, is give you infinite liquid storage, in a single block.

sir_schwick

Jul 29, 2019
Ive never put liquid into cans before, but with the xycraft aluminum having few uses other than making cans, i made some.

Is there any reason to make cans and not use liquiducts to move liquids around? It seems that cans were created before liquid tesseracts were 'invented' so they were originally a way to be able to move liquids long distances (remote oil well, put oil into cans then transport back to base for refining, etc.)

Is there any 'modern' use for cans, other than strictly having fun?

It is more space efficient on the go when picking up nasty liquids such as Sludge and Sewage. Early on both of those can be useful and jump starting MFR related tasks.

Or if no MFR, you can drain that pool of lava on the surface for early geothermal power.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
why would use such instead of cool looking RC tanks? :(

Well the tanks are much cooler, but the key with Deep Storage is they are portable... while holding inventory. So you could pump out lava from a volcano remotely, if somehow you couldnt afford endertanks (no EE3 installed?) and then just carry a volcano's worth of lava in one inventory slot back to your base. :)

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
I always have a stack of cans on me early game so when doing those initial mining runs I can scoop up lava for later use. Magmatic engines, biomass engines, etc etc. Later on can use them for things like Acclimatizer. Loads or uses for cans.
As far as Xy aluminium, I use it for Xy Glass Viewer over iron. Or use it for air aspect in Thaumcraft which isn't easy to come by.

Reactions: Mero

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using cans while working with bee-breeding. I don't want to spend the resources to build two different squeezers (one for seed oil, one for honey) and three different carpenters (one for seed oil, one for honey, one for creosote, for example) when I generally am just using one or the other at that moment. It's easier to throw a stack of cans in one carpenter, one squeezer, and then use a pipette to remove whatever is left. It also keeps a much smaller footprint in my base until I start setting up a bigger bee area.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm thinking about doing this with all the extra bees wax I foresee. Keep all my excess biofuel, etc. stored in those, in my AE system. It's really quite convenient. Wax is also a lot more renewable and abundant than tin, unless you are taking lava from the nether. If that's the case, then nothing is really hard.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
This is why i post threads and get into conversations, I hadnt found the glass viewer yet from xycraft, so awesome. :)

I wish xycraft had more machines in it though, lots of building blocks, not much to do with them. The wild colors are cool but not... really what you want to build stuff with, imo. Good design means subtle color changes, etc. Xycraft blocks are too bright other than for accents. IMHO.

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
Xy blocks are like catering to 12 year olds, IMO. Bit too much. Now the lamps I like and use quite a bit. Think the lime inverted lamp is the most used by me, though the white one comes close. Viewer glass is so lovely. Soaryn could just do a glass viewer/lamp mod at I would take it. I quite like the engineering bricks though, that fits the more subtle marks you and I agree on. Some people go overboard and sorta looks like neon chickenwire, but even then it is cool looking if not my taste completely. But as an accent, awesome.
Xy soil is worth your time as is fabricators. But I digress...