Used memory

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ohming

Jul 29, 2019
What's a normal used memory, because I'm running at a whooping 16fps. Granted I'm used to that, but I'd like to know if my used memory is a problem. It's using 870mb of 1019mb. Ive got some chunkloaders, which I suppose would be causing some of it, but it's just terrible. There's times when I'm under 10fps and I rage quit.

I'm unfortunately using a 4 year old Mac mini. So....that could very well be my problem. If you need some specs just ask

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
When performance is the issue, you should always post your specs.

However, it's most likely the cpu, and the response most likely is buy a new computer. ( It's normally upgrade, but I doubt there's anything worthwhile you can do with a mac mini. ) And for a new computer, I would strongly advise a 'PC' this time, to prevent being in the same boat a few years later.

Ohming

Jul 29, 2019
I've honestly had a lot more problems with PCs. My last one lasted 3 years, and my parents last one lasted only 2 years. Besides, the Mac mini was a lot cheaper.
But anyways, my processor is a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
4Gb 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM

Any other specs?

Edit: Well basically the only good Apple computer will be the new Mac Pro. This is the description of the processor.
The new Mac Pro is muscle through and through, starting with the new-generation Intel Xeon E5 chipset. With configurations offering up to 12 cores of processing power, up to 40GB/s of PCI Express gen 3 bandwidth, and 256-bit-wide floating-point instructions, you’ll never be at a loss for speed.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The CPU is much too slow. The mac mini also never had a useful video card either. It's not meant to run games, I'm afraid.

You can try increasing the memory allocated to Minecraft to 2 GB, but realize that it may give you 2-3 FPS at most if you are lucky because Java needs to do less garbage collection which means the CPU has more time to render the game. It will not make Minecraft an enjoyable experience on that kind of system though.

If you want to stick with Apple, consider the desktop Macs (the all in one things). You only get laptop grade GPUs there, but at least desktop grade CPUs of a caliber that can easily handle Minecraft.

Of course, you could build two PCs of matching ability for the price, but eh... that's Apple for you :p

Ohming

Jul 29, 2019
Building a PC is for when I'm in college;). So in about a year ill start building one. There's ups and downs to both Macs and Pcs. I was thinking about trying to turn some stuff off in my world. Like how bees fly around, I assume if I somehow turn that off in the configs, then it'll be a bit better. I already turned off the AE pipe thing, which didn't seem to do much even though I've got like 500 ME cables.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I've honestly had a lot more problems with PCs. My last one lasted 3 years, and my parents last one lasted only 2 years. Besides, the Mac mini was a lot cheaper.
But anyways, my processor is a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
4Gb 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM

Any other specs?

Edit: Well basically the only good Apple computer will be the new Mac Pro. This is the description of the processor.
The new Mac Pro is muscle through and through, starting with the new-generation Intel Xeon E5 chipset. With configurations offering up to 12 cores of processing power, up to 40GB/s of PCI Express gen 3 bandwidth, and 256-bit-wide floating-point instructions, you’ll never be at a loss for speed.

Wow, what did you do to those poor computers? They should last you at least 10 years! Well, physically...obviously they would be way behind power wise at that point. If the Mac was cheaper, then whoever you were trying to buy the PC from was trying to rip you off, or up-sell you. ( IE: Far better computer than what you were looking for. )

Also, the reason I put PC in quotes before, is because Macs ARE PCs these days. They use the same hardware.

The Xeon chipset is actually the last generation, not the current one. It's Ivy-Bridge and the current is Haswell. Good ol' Apple there for ya:)

Don't get me wrong, that's still a fairly beefy CPU, and that specific one isn't even out yet. However, it's heavy on the cores and low on the raw power. Xeon is Intels line of server CPUs, which shows how that's a very odd choice. The fastest version is only 2.7 ghz. Haswell meanwhile goes up to 3.9ghz. However, Haswell is only quad-core.

For gaming, and general computing, Quad core is still a ways ahead of the pack. Higher speed is far more important.

Anyways: I agree that it's your CPU.

Building a PC is for when I'm in college;). So in about a year ill start building one. There's ups and downs to both Macs and Pcs. I was thinking about trying to turn some stuff off in my world. Like how bees fly around, I assume if I somehow turn that off in the configs, then it'll be a bit better. I already turned off the AE pipe thing, which didn't seem to do much even though I've got like 500 ME cables.

Something that might help more than those minor tweaks, is removing mods. Anything you don't really want in there. The bigger mods especially. So, if you don't plan to use Forestry, remove it. Don't use IC2? Disable that. Etc.

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, what did you do to those poor computers? They should last you at least 10 years!
Going off his statements about price and the fact that he is using a Mac Mini, I'd say he bought an eMachines or equivalent. I do occasional repairs for people and if his parents are anything like the average person I run into, they probably didn't clean their computer in the slightest. I can't begin to list all the systems I've run into that were running again after a simple cleaning.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Why do people think memory has anything to do with their low framerates.

Anyway as others have said, that CPU is crap. You certainly dont need a Mac Pro unless youre doing highend server or professional digital imaging work (doubtfull from what youve posted). iMac is for normal users like you. The i5s in them are more than enough even for heavy CPU games like FTB.

Unless you like spending $3000 on a minecraft/internet browser.

Ohming

Jul 29, 2019
Tons of questions..
The Mac mini at the time was cheaper than a pc because my sister had just gotten a new MacBook, and we had received credit on our next apple purchase.
The version of the Mac mini I have isn't upgradable, because the processor is soldered into place.
I take credit for cleaning up the Mac, but my parents are of the age group that will open every email/link/click every ad. Each of our past computers had the Trojan virus, not a severe one, but still they would never go away.
I use most of the big name mods, I use IC2, BC, forestry, te,AE. Most of the world gen stuff I use too.

Question though, which processor is better?

2.9GHz dual-core
Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 4MB L3 cache

2.3GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 6MB L3 cache

2.5GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB L3 cache

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
MC doesn't really use multithreading that much so the 2.9Ghz dual-core will be faster.

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
MC doesn't really use multithreading that much so the 2.9Ghz dual-core will be faster.
Though I don't think there will be much of a difference between the dual and the quad since Turbo brings them up to within 300MHz of each other. I'm more interested in whether or not Minecraft would benefit from a larger cache but don't know how you would determine that.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Though I don't think there will be much of a difference between the dual and the quad since Turbo brings them up to within 300MHz of each other. I'm more interested in whether or not Minecraft would benefit from a larger cache but don't know how you would determine that.

Don't know how much it will impact the performance but I think it's safe to say any of those CPU's will work just as fine. Heck, I'm on an old E8400 and while not the fastest I'm doing fine in MC.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Why do people think memory has anything to do with their low framerates....

Probably because that's the way it is with virtually all other games, partially due to how little RAM people often run. Minecraft is quite the oddball.

It can still have an impact though, under rare circumstances. I highly doubt this is one of those.

Really? That's actually cool. Ill be getting a new laptop soon, and those are my choices

I have to ask, as it will make a huge difference in things: Are you sure you need a laptop? Just making sure, because you will be paying quite a bit more, for something quite a bit less powerful versus a desktop.

Unfortunately, since the OP is talking about a laptop atm, I don't know how much they will actually see those turbo speeds. Turbo is just an automatic OC based on temperatures, and temperature is something most laptops have problems with.

OP: What laptop exactly are you looking at? There's a lot more than just those 3 processors out there.

Also, a word of caution: If it's a macbook pro, I can tell you you will probably never see any Turbo speeds. I have one, and those things get warm to hot very fast...even on a surface like glass. The exhaust is the hinge in the back for some reason, so you also have to keep it fully open, or it gets hot even faster.

Now, back to those CPUs: Ohming, do you ever have anything else running when you play Minecraft? While MC itself doesn't use multiple cores, all of the OSes do. As such, I usually recommend a quad core, so that whatever game you are playing has its own core or 2. The OS runs on another one. Then, everything else you do has their own as well. Dual core, you are looking at OS on one, and everything else on the other.

However, as you may notice, the dual core in the 3 you mentioned is substantially faster non-turbo than the quad. As long as you don't run anything else that uses much CPU, the dual core will be better for Minecraft. If you play any other games, it probably won't cut it, and it is certainly not "future-proof".

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
Now, back to those CPUs: Ohming, do you ever have anything else running when you play Minecraft? While MC itself doesn't use multiple cores, all of the OSes do. As such, I usually recommend a quad core, so that whatever game you are playing has its own core or 2. The OS runs on another one. Then, everything else you do has their own as well. Dual core, you are looking at OS on one, and everything else on the other.
Though all modern OSes will take advantage of multiple cores they won't really need more than a fraction of the available power from a modern CPU. So I wouldn't even bother calculating the OS into any of those. Otherwise I agree that the quad-core is probably the better solution in terms of ensuring the laptop will last a bit longer. Minecraft certainly will run just fine on any of those three.

Ohming

Jul 29, 2019
Laptop is for college, and you might've guessed what brand I'm looking at. MacBook Pro

And no, nothing else running.

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
Laptop is for college, and you might've guessed what brand I'm looking at. MacBook Pro
I decided to take a quick peek at the available selection of MacBook Pro laptops. To be blunt, I think you're getting ripped off buying one of those. For $1,500 I would expect graphics from either ATI or NVIDIA but the laptop has Intel HD. I would completely ignore any concerns about "future-proofing" your purchase. You will run into issues with the graphics long before you run into issues with the CPU.

If I were going to dump $1,500 into a laptop, I would shop around a bit. The Alienware 17 is a bit closer to what I would expect from so much money. A stronger processor, more RAM, better graphics capability, a faster storage drive, etc.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-17/pd.aspx?~ck=mn

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Really? That's actually cool. Ill be getting a new laptop soon, and those are my choices

Plus the i7 will be roughly double the performance of your Core chip per Mhz. It would be like a Core 2 at 4.2 Ghz.

However you are being warned right now: These are not designed for gaming. These are designed for working. Professional CAD, Photography, digital painting, video editing, etc and light gaming. They are not a 'rip off' anymore than a toaster is a 'rip off' for watching TV. The massive resolution on the displays will make minecraft run poorly. These are not laptops for college (unless you're jumping right into all that), these are laptops for university for media production.

If you want to game, get a gaming system, and if you still want to go Pro it will cost you 2100+ Tax to get to the discreet card version.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019

Yes, it only uses two cores.
Probably because that's the way it is with virtually all other games, partially due to how little RAM people often run. Minecraft is quite the oddball.

It can still have an impact though, under rare circumstances. I highly doubt this is one of those.

No its not. If you run out of ram the game either does its freeze up dance when looking around: FPS 0->Normal->0 or will crash. Too little RAM does not result in consistent low framerates. Getting more RAM will not magically bump up those framerates to 'normal' either. In any game. It is 98% CPU and GPU driven. If he got faster RAM it might bump his 16fps to 16.5fps.
I decided to take a quick peek at the available selection of MacBook Pro laptops. To be blunt, I think you're getting ripped off buying one of those. For $1,500 I would expect graphics from either ATI or NVIDIA but the laptop has Intel HD. I would completely ignore any concerns about "future-proofing" your purchase. You will run into issues with the graphics long before you run into issues with the CPU.
Psshhh you didnt look high enough! 2100 comes with 650m. A Deal! (id take one if i could, the screen is amazing)