Updating modpack, does it delete added mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Title.. I've been always thinking that it does, but right now I've made too much cfg changes to my infinity to balance it a little with my mekanism based technology, and I'm scared to update (But I really want).. Does it get rid of all the mods installed? I know I can backup configs though, but I had to make a lot of version swapping to get it all to work without conflicts.

Thanks in advance dear people of these subnets.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Yes, updating the pack will basically give you the modlist that version of the pack comes with by default.

It's why my infinity world is still on version 1.2.something, because I've added about a dozen mods and i'm too lazy to repeat the process :p

Reactions: rhn and Type1Ninja

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yes, updating the pack will basically give you the modlist that version of the pack comes with by default.

It's why my infinity world is still on version 1.2.something, because I've added about a dozen mods and i'm too lazy to repeat the process :p
Yeah I really hate this about the Launcher... Why does it have to remove the extra mods that we have added? Couldn't it just remove the mods that was shipped with the last version?

And why can't configs be handled smarter. After all all the configs are simple text based files. We have had SVN tools for those for decades to handle merging of changes.

Reactions: MrZwij and mattp_12

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I really hate this about the Launcher... Why does it have to remove the extra mods that we have added? Couldn't it just remove the mods that was shipped with the last version?

And why can't configs be handled smarter. After all all the configs are simple text based files. We have had SVN tools for those for decades to handle merging of changes.
Afaik, that's because the update process is basically remove this folder, extract this file.

More advanced stuff was planned for v2, which is now muddled.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
One of the reasons I make my own pack. Maybe try downloading all extra mods into a separate folder that you copy paste every time you update?

Reactions: SenorColeTrain

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
One of the reasons I make my own pack. Maybe try downloading all extra mods into a separate folder that you copy paste every time you update?

This is what I do but it can bite you... like when the pack update includes a new version of forge that your added mods aren't compatible with yet.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I try to avoid updating forge as long as possible. In my pack, only chicken bones mods need the latest version so I just wont update those until later.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The reason its like this (removing your added mods) is because one of the updates could literally be "Hi we're removing this crappy mod from the pack, you're welcome."

The way to improve this would be to distinguish between modpack mods and mods you've added (e.g keep them in a separate folder or something.)

And then when you update it should say "Hey you've added XYZ to the pack, do you want to keep it?".

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Having separate folders would come in handy... When building a new pack (or adding mods to an existing one) you could keep the mods separate while testing compatibility.

It could also help with network play where the server has one build and in single player you change the modlist.

I'm imagining and hoping that the Curse launcher eventually ends up with packs just being a list of mods to load when you play that pack, using a repository directory containing all the different mod versions used by your packs.