Unofficial griefing tool list [WIP]

Tsugaga

Jul 29, 2019
This topic is a work in progress, would appreciate more info/input from other server owners/players. Sticky might be useful. This topic is to help all server owners prevent any type of grief on their server.

Well most servers like to prevent grief. My server is anti-grief but with so many mods it's hard to know what is able to grief. I looked around a lot and many threads have the logic that a list of these tools and a list of dupe items etc is very bad because it would be a list for griefers to use. This logic is fail because if owners knew these items as well then the use of them can be prevented. This won't just be a list of griefing tools, but also how to prevent them from being used.

I ask that everyone help me make a list of these items so server owners can know them and prevent grief. Also suggest ways to prevent grief. Aside from removing the item somehow whether it be in configs or removing the whole mod, there are plugins. Personally I have MCPC+ installed so I can use bukkit plugins.

Grief Protection:
World Guard [Create protective regions]
Grief Prevention [Allow players to create claims]
SecureChests [Allow players to lock modded chests, barrels, and apiaries.

Banning Items:
Tekkit Customizer [Add item id's to this to craft/use/own/place/world ban any item]

Extended Plugin Details
World Guard:
World Guard allows those with permissions to create a region(basically a box) that protects everything inside. This protects against block place/break, use of items/machines/levers etc, and can also have flags to disallow pvp/damage/mobs and much more. There are a few items that do ignore regions though.
-Vajra
-Wand of Excavation
-Mining Turtles
-Shoulder-Mounted Piston
-Wrenches

Grief Prevention:
Grief Prevention allows players to create claims that protect everything inside from those who aren't trusted. This automatically protects vanilla blocks and has many modded blocks added, but you will need to add many things to the config such as modded chests, greg tech machines, solars, ic2 machines etc. Depending on the mod pack you use, the item id's may differ. Like World Guard, there are a few items that bypass claims.
-Vajra
-Wand of Excavation
-Mining Turtles
-Shoulder-Mounted Piston

Secure Chests:
Secure Chests allows you to add item id's to the config so players can use /lock on modded chests, barrels, and apiaries. These are not protected under Grief Prevention claims, which is why Secure Chests is needed. Modded chests include copper, iron, silver, gold, diamond, crystal, obsidian, ender, and apiary chests. Please note that this only uses item id's and will protect all data values of that id, so using just the copper chest id will also protect all the other chest upgrades since they have the same id, but different data values.

Tekkit Customizer:
Tekkit Customizer was originally made for Tekkit, but it works for any type of MineCraft. It has a very simple config. You add the item id's for an item you want to ban. There are 5 types of bans in the config: Craft, Use, Own, Place, World. Usage bans disallows the ability to open a machine for example(not sure if it applies to using a wand for example). Own ban disallows holding/picking up the item. World ban replaces the item with dirt I think, which applies to any placed block(not sure if this works in FTB).

Grief Items
No-PVP Bypass:
-Mining Laser
-Scepters
-Melee Turtle
-Pellet Launcher
-MPowersuits Power Tools

No-Grief Bypass:
-Terraformer
-Vajra
-Wand of Excavation
-Mining Turtles
-Shoulder-Mounted Piston
-Mining Laser
-Portal Gun
-Foam Sprayer
-Shovel of the Earthmover
-Wrath Igniter
-ITNT
-Dynamite
-Wrenches
-Apprentice/Adept Wands(change bookshelves into Thaumonomicon)
-Wand of Excavation
-Ice Wands(breaks glass)

Item Dupes:
-Canvas Bag
-Fabricator
-Advanced Crafting Table
-Block Breaker
-Arcane Worktable

Troll Items:
-Portal Gun
-Portable Hole
-Sword of the Zephyr

Fixes:
-Wrench [Add machine id's to grief prevention config, this will stop players stealing and using machines in someones claim]
-Arcane Worktable [Ban using TekkitCustomizer and sell Arcane Stone Blocks so players can craft Infusion Alters]-
-Canvas Bag [Canvas bag dupe glitch fix + a few other redpower items -> http://mirror.fractalrealities.net/mods/rptweaks/rptweaks-v4.zip[If installed players must also have this added to their client to join]]

Reactions: Everlast and pirita

TheDJParadox

Jul 29, 2019
Something to add to the wands: The excavation and frost wands can also bypass protections by breaking blocks.. As you only mentioned that they change bookshelves into thaumonomicon's.

Also: Power Tools from MPowersuits can bypass non-pvp protection, this is also something else to consider.

Tsugaga

Jul 29, 2019
Forgot the excavation wand, added it and powersuit tools. How do the ice wands break blocks?

TheDJParadox

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I say it can break blocks. It can only break glass, which could still be classed as griefing. It depends how you see it to be honest. However, I think that they should only be banned on a server if they become a problem.

Tsugaga

Jul 29, 2019
Canvas bag dupe glitch fix + a few other redpower items -> http://mirror.fractalrealities.net/mods/rptweaks/rptweaks-v4.zip

Vajra we ended up disabling the right click function via the bukkit plugin "skript" (only the beta would work with MCPC running feed the beast ultimate) as this stops the griefprevention bypass, simple script i wrote -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13281919/vajra.sk
Could you explain who you are and what exactly those fixe do and how to add them? Nobody is going to download and add random stuff to their server.

Captain Digital

Jul 29, 2019
Could you explain who you are and what exactly those fixe do and how to add them? Nobody is going to download and add random stuff to their server.
I can actually answer those for Danny Longshaw.

The first link is a direct download link for the mod "RedPower Tweaks." It's a mod that goes in the coremods folder. It's purpose is to fix several bugs with RedPower 2. It's apparently no longer being developed, but the last version released was for 1.4.7 so it can still be used. The only problem with it is, if I'm not mistaken, that it must be installed on the client as well so it's a bit of a hassle to get everyone on your server to install it.

The second link is just to a script that can be used in the Bukkit plugin "Skript." I have yet to use this myself, but I assume there's a spot in the config file you'd add this script in order to stop the Vajra from being right clicked, which will stop it from being used to grief. I'm going to be checking this plugin out to try to allow some previously banned items on my server. If you aren't interested in Skript, there's another plugin that allows similar abilities called "ModDamage."

pirita

Jul 29, 2019
Very good post Tsugaga. Thank you.

I think that the wrenchs are not griefing lands protected with griefprevention.

How players will play without wrenchs ? This is a big problem.

Busi

Jul 29, 2019
With MyTowns you can create claims and protect against modded items like mining laser, wand of excavation, tnt, itnt, Turtles

the problems with Modded items for is that Grief preventions and world guard is that they can't protect again them. but since MyTown is a forge mod, it is able to protect again them

There is protection for

IC2
Portalgun
Railcraft
RedPower
Stevescarts
thaumcraft
Traincraft
mobs
creeper block damage
TNT, ITNT, Nukes
And Vanilla Tools

Busi

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, but having the custom version of pex don't really change anything since you can just use GM for anything other that MyTown

MisterOutofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry busi now im feeling retarded because i read that 10 times but still couldnt found it D: maybe its just because im ill and a bit stressed

Busi

Jul 29, 2019
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2uY0gk2-lQFTzVrRzRUNnhNc0k/edit - Custom verison of PEX
http://adf.ly/KIhcl - MyTown
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2uY0gk2-lQFZnRnZDlTNEEwdm8/edit - MyTown Lib
http://pastebin.com/UdDuXHKy - Example Pex config "script"
  • Download MyTown and place it in your servers mods/ folder
  • Download MyTownLib and place it in your servers mods/ folder
  • Download PermissionsEx from below, place it in servers mods/ folder
  • Start server, stop server to generate config/MyTown/MyTown.cfg and database
  • Edit the config file as you see fit
  • Edit the config/permissions.yml file, remove atleast admin and plot count nodes from default group. Refer to the commands manual and/or the example pex script below
  • Start your server and play
All of the links can be found on MyTown page and also the links up here is for 1.4.7