Unleashed vs Unhinged (For Me)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

firedingo

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm still pretty new to FTB. I ended up starting with the Ultimate pack for 1.4.7 because I loved the idea of both magic and machines together. Since it was my first time playing I disabled gregtech so it wouldn't be impossibly hard for me to learn. Now I see two new packs have come out for 1.5.2. If ultimate was going to update then I'd stick with but since it's not I'm looking at others. My problem is I can't decide between the two. I like a challenge but I'm not the type of person who likes everything on insane or hardcore. Half the time I play Minecraft without mobs enabled (Found a great mod that puts hunger into peaceful, just so you know). I love adventuring, building, collecting, figuring things out and doing cool stuff, if that helps you understand my personality better.

Any suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated!!
Thanks,
Naomi

Bob_Sack

Jul 29, 2019
Unhinged is absolutely not the pack you want if you don't want total-over-the-top-difficulty. To put it in perspective: Flint & Steel requires steel to make. You can't even go to the nether until you have a blast furnace.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
If you do not mind adding mods yourself and like GT, you could always dl Unleashed and add GT into it manually. But insane and hardcore is what GT is mostly about so I would advise you to stick with Unleashed. Just FYI, I'm playing with Unleashed too. Just finding it more fun in general.

Brilliance

Jul 29, 2019
You can't even go to the nether until you have a blast furnace.

You *could* put a few wood planks in front of your portal and a bucket of lava behind and wait for the magic to happen.

Other than that you're absolutely right, though. GT is most definitely not about exploration or building - it's about grinding out stacks of metal to build the next GT machine. Not everyone's cup of tea, and it certainly doesn't sound like the cup of tea firedingo likes ;).

ndDean

Jul 29, 2019
I'm personally a fan of GT, it gives things a little challenge. When I first started up my Unleashed server I didn't have GT. Within a week, almost everyone on the server was rocking ultimate hybrid solars and had like 10k of every metal stored in their ME system that was packed full of 64k drives. So, we reset the world, added in some custom configs, tossed in GT and now things are back to normal. ;)

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech is mostly just busy work, the fun comes in once you decide to automate his wacky machines.
You do not need GregTech to have fun. Repeat this with me.
This this this this this

Also, if you don't like GT just go with Unleashed. I recommend either reading the modlist and finding what you like, or just testing out the modpacks before you post.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
For me it's easy, Unleashed.

I don't hate GT and I even like it a bit, but considering how much I'd miss if I would go with Unhinged there is just no contest between the packs for me. If I would really miss GT I would add it to Unleashed and call it a day, but so far I'm not really missing it actually.

CliffyFive

Jul 29, 2019
The way you describe yourself, I think Unleashed is more your style. The thrill of Unhinged is finding new ways of doing things and having a longer FTB experience. It's harder from the get go requiring you to have a hammer and a file to make iron tools and getting half as much planks from logs. Definetly go with Unleashed if you want to discover stuff and have fun.

Marconos

Jul 29, 2019
Either pack can do what you are looking for.

Unhinged encourages (yes that's right ENCOURAGES) exploration. You can get so much great loot that will help speed you along from chest. Go out and find them. Getting those Rubies / Sapphires / Emeralds / Platinum / Steel in chests early on is such a great reward. I also spent a large amount of time wandering around look for specific resources. It actually discourages just branch mining as your stone pick is only good for about 50 blocks. Go explore, go splunking, find the easy to get stuff in caves etc.

If you like to "figure things out" then unhinged is nice if you haven't worked up to the top tiers in gregtech. Trying to get some of the machines automated and figuring out how to make some of the things you need is quite fun.

If you like to have top end armor, impervious to the world, mine anything in a single hit ... go unleashed. I'm pretty anti Dartcraft and Tinkers as they seem to make the game as close to creative mode as you can get without actually being there.

My next world will probably be unleashed with those two mods turned off.

Really either pack will do what you want, if your goal is just figuring things out, Unleashed has more mods in that respect but Unhinged has more depth. If you like exploration etc, both work there but Unhinged makes you work more for it. If you are looking for a world to do a mega build on and don't care about the other things, Unleashed is better in that respect.

HTH.

Reactions: Bob_Sack

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
Based on what you said, I think Unleashed is right for you. More mods coupled with average difficulty makes it great for "figuring things out." Not challenging enough? Try to make things more compact, more efficient, completely automated. I've never run out of things to do between all the mods, before I got tired of a world, and I don't think adding GT would extend the longevity of my worlds. I just wouldn't make as much in each one.

*Cough*Resonant Rise*Cough*

You have no idea how close I came to switching... but alas, here I am playing Unleashed.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Based on what you said, I think Unleashed is right for you. More mods coupled with average difficulty makes it great for "figuring things out." Not challenging enough? Try to make things more compact, more efficient, completely automated. I've never run out of things to do between all the mods, before I got tired of a world, and I don't think adding GT would extend the longevity of my worlds. I just wouldn't make as much in each one.

You have no idea how close I came to switching... but alas, here I am playing Unleashed.

I have an Unleashed instance. I don't play it as much, but it's a solid modpack and I think it's well considered.

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
I have an Unleashed instance. I don't play it as much, but it's a solid modpack and I think it's well considered.

There are enough new mods for me to learn in Unleashed that I didn't want to take on the Universal Electricity ones at the same time. I may start looking into my RR instance again when I am done with my current world. I tend to not switch worlds very often though, so packs may be in the process of updating to 1.6 by then.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
There are enough new mods for me to learn in Unleashed that I didn't want to take on the Universal Electricity ones at the same time. I may start looking into my RR instance again when I am done with my current world. I tend to not switch worlds very often though, so packs may be in the process of updating to 1.6 by then.

I've been playing around in my custom pack that has Mekanism, and it's a lot of fun.

Reactions: QKninja

Mashy14

Jul 29, 2019
Unhinged is absolutely not the pack you want if you don't want total-over-the-top-difficulty. To put it in perspective: Flint & Steel requires steel to make. You can't even go to the nether until you have a blast furnace.

Steel is VERY common is loot chests though if this is enabled

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Question: Do you prefer the awesomeness of Greg Tech? Or the awesomeness of Tinker's Constructs? If A == True, then Unhinged. If B == True then Unleashed. If both, then get unleashed and add GT.