(Unleashed) The Abstract Challenge Map [WIP] [Skyblock]

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone!

So, yesterday was my birthday (August 19th), and I decided to give back to the FTB community as MY present to YOU guys. This is exactly what the title says: a challenge map. Yes, yet another skyblock challenge map. Sorry. I couldn't help but put my own little twist and flair on the popular idea.

[THINGS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION]:
1. The "Got Stuck?" portion of the map. This one will be slightly difficult. The plan is to unlock the area once a player dies. However, right now I have no idea how to do that. :)

There are 3 areas on the challenge building:
  1. The Crafting Challenge
  2. The Liquid Challenge
  3. The Energy Challenge
The Crafting Challenge has 4 monitors, 3 of which have 2 sub-challenges to display, with 7-8 different items per sub-challenge. It also has 1 other monitor for MultiBlock Challenges. For the sub-challenges, you throw the required items into the MFR Item Collector at the base of the monitor. If you enter the correct items, you finish the sub-challenge, and are given an Ender Chest frequency, which contains your reward. Any wrong items will be voided. In the MultiBlock Challenge, there's nothing to "turn in", so there isn't a reward; it's just a simple challenge for building MultiBlocks. :)

The Liquid Challenge has a series of Steel Tanks. Your task is to fill them with the specified liquid posted on the sign above them. It's pretty simple. There isn't a reward for these. That may change if enough people complain request it.

The Energy Challenge has two parts: 1 HV Transformer that leads to 4 MFSUs. The other being a Redstone Conduit line leading to 4 Redstone Energy Cells. That adds up to 10,000,000 EU and 2,400,000 MJ. It's pretty easy to figure out what to do: fill the storage devices, and the redstone lamps will light up. When both are lit up, you get a reward (which still needs to be done).

Please feel free to leave any suggestions, as a comment or PM (just saying "this sucks a**" is not going to help; you have to think of a better alternative for the problem before you can say that). I'm open to change, as this a WIP.

2013-08-20_20.49.56.png

2013-08-23_22.14.18.png

2013-08-20_20.51.33.png

2013-08-23_22.13.29.png

2013-08-23_23.07.20.png

And now for the downloads:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ocee9kmnyp9ipw2/hMn-CaCEpL

v0.3:
1. Started making a changelog. :p
2. Added 1 Bone Meal to the starting chest.
3. Added an Infinity bow to the starting chest, for wisps that may or may not appear. ;)
4. Added a Bee House and a set of Rocky Bees to the starting chest.
5. Changed the Stone Pick in the starting chest to have a Wooded Binding and Rod instead of being full stone.
6. Oh, and I added a stack of UU-Matter to the starting chest. Can't forget that.
7. Changed some rewards. Those are still under construction.
8. Added "3 Diamonds to 32 Redstone" to the Trade-O-Mats.
9. Reduced the amount of cobalt and ardite per diamond in the Trade-O-Mats.
10. Changed "10 Redstone to 2 Certus Quartz" to "10 Redstone to 4 Certus Quartz Ore" in the Trade-O-Mats.
5. Started work on the "Nether". I think it's pretty much done, though.
6. Started work on an area at spawn for "Got Stuck?". It's going to be what you think it will be, probably.
7. Gave the Liquid Challenge a more... Electric feel.
8. Changed the Seared Glass ceiling in the Crafting Challenge to Clear Glass.
9. Removed some light sources on the buildings and placed some Gaseous Glowstone instead. Particles, inbound!
10. Also updated screenshots. :)

v0.4
1. Rewards have been completed.

P.S When you open the world, you might get complaints about ID mismatches, but it's just fine to press "OK". This is because it was built in a different modpack before this one. :) #gotyourback
Thanks again for taking the time to look at this! :D

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
more issues:
  • Not really an issue, but I like bullet points. :3
  • anyways, you start out in creative mode.
  • when you start out, you have a computer, a smooth stone, and some goggles of revealing.
  • The computer at spawn has no startup program.
  • EDIT: since I have my installation locked on recipe mode, I can't tell, but it appears to be locked on daytime. Nighttime is important for cheap early-game skeleton spawns. How else will you get food?

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
Will do! I probably forgot to reset everything! Will be uploading a version to fix it. Sometimes you just need another perspective to fix the problems. :)

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I just started, and I'm having a ton of fun. I finally got my tree production to a decent and have paths to the other platforms. I'm just about ready to complete the first challenge. I really like how you're using the Ender frequencies to give rewards. Anyways, I agree with a heavy reliance on the UU-matter to start, but I still have a ton, so it's not too big of a deal. I'm trying to save mine to get some emeralds early to jumpstart myself into an MPS as soon as possible.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
One observation: The OP says there should be a bee house and rocky bees in the starting chest, but I didn't have any. I'm going to load a different instance of the map to make sure, but I noticed the distinct lack of anything bee related when I went to complete the first challenge.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Edit isn't working for me, so sorry for the multiple posts. I made a second instance of the map to check, and that didn't have the bees either. This is version 4. I'm going to go ahead and spawn them in since this seems to be an oversight.

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
I made a second instance of the map to check, and that didn't have the bees either. This is version 4.
Hmmm... I'll check up on why that is the way it is.

And I'll remove the UU-Matter. It wasn't something I particularly relied on, but it seems like it's getting negative feedback.

crazyeagle

Jul 29, 2019
I also didn't get the thing with the Bee House, you need a Comb for it. Is it meant to create another Mystcraft World and find Bee Hives?
Another thing you could do with Mystcraft, just create a new world and go for ressources like iron diamonds etc. Is this the way it should be done?

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I also didn't get the thing with the Bee House, you need a Comb for it. Is it meant to create another Mystcraft World and find Bee Hives?
Another thing you could do with Mystcraft, just create a new world and go for ressources like iron diamonds etc. Is this the way it should be done?

Mystcraft is never the answer with challenge maps. You should be able to get everything without generating new terrain.

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019

Well, there evidently is a problem in that there should be a Bee House and a pair of Rocky Bees in the starting chest, but there isn't one. As for the Mystcraft thing, there really aren't any boundaries. I tried to make the map as non-linear as possible, as well as the least amount of rules as possible. If you want to make a Mystcraft age, go ahead. I'm obviously not able to stop you. You play your way, and if you feel that it isn't fun, place some restrictions for yourself.

Bungzi

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having a lot of fun with this map but I've run into a problem that I haven't been able to figure out.

Lead.

If anyone knows how to get it without mystcraft or twilight forest I'd be greatful.

And just a small nitpick, kinda, I made a twilight portal and it spawned in the middle of either a medium or large hollow hill. So twilight forest has been unnaccessable to me as I die even before I finish loading.

Bungzi

Jul 29, 2019
Those Thaumcraft transmutations haven't worked in so long on so many different maps I've been playing on I've completely forgot about them.