unleashed mob farmer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Posting to subscribe, and to say I'm interested in XP as well :D I've never made a mob spawner on modded minecraft, so looking foward to replies...for when I actually get around to needing one.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Cursed earth from extra utilities is nice. It is made in a very strange way (activating a division sigil, the method is supposed to be discovered in game but if you are interested and don't mind spoilers it is revealed on the mod's minecraft forum page) and to harvest it you will need silk touch and it burns away in sunlight. It forces spawns on it at an increased rate. MFR grinders can take care of mobs well and the mob essence can be used to spawn more mobs using the autospawners. You need to catch the mobs you want with safari nets and then the spawner will spawn that mob as long as it is supplied with Mob essence. Soul shards is always a viable route to spawn huge numbers of the same type of mob.

Reactions: RedBoss

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Early game, I like to make use of vanilla mob spawner mechanics and mod added abilities to pick up spawners (force wrench, gravity gun, portal gun, etc) to build vanilla-like mob traps. Basically 9x3x9 space with a spawner in the center, except I usually do multiple spawners so its more like 11x4x11 (full encloser being 13x6x13). Instead of water, I use conveyor belts to funnel mobs into a 3x3 pit that drops 12 blocks below the encloser so that I can stand close enough to the spawners to keep them active yet have the mobs die far enough away from the trap that they won't prevent further spawns. Instead of a crush, drown or gravity trap, I use conveyor belts to shove mobs into upside down iron spikes at head height. The same conveyor belts ensure drops go into vanilla hoppers that funnel into the collection chest.

Later game, if I really need a mob trap later game, I'd snag the specific mob I was looking for in a safari ball and add in an autospawner to the above trap. It's always nice to have a vanilla or soul shards spawner in with an autospawner to take care of the mob essence. However, I'm given to understand that sewers will be able to collect exp orbs as mob essence in a future update. If so, then one's meat factory can also fuel one's autospawner. Also, if I'm reading NEI on this update correctly, liquid meat becomes a fuel; making possible a power system based entirely upon deliciousness.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't have the energy infrastructure for MFR mob farms or the luck/time for soul shards, I would suggest just building a vanilla mob spawner. Etho's spawner is one of my favorites. It features 12, 3x3 spawning pads. Each pad has a half slab in the middle to prevent spider spawns. (They have a tendency of clogging up vanilla spawners).

The spawner itself isn't very space efficient, but the design is awesome. Look it up.

If you need the string, cave spider spawners are easily found. You could get a tier 5 off spawners alone, without having to rely on combining them in an anvil.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I've just had an idea, how about building a spawning surface using Drawbridges? Mobs spawn on them, they retract and drop them onto an item collecting floor (obsidian pipes, transition planes, etc.) and then they extend again. A simpe clock should do the trick. This should work for spiders and endermen as well as all the 1x2x1 mobs. I think I might build one of these in a void age, possibly in my Mystcraft nexus when i have all the pages to make a nice one.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
In my base I have 2 11x11 rooms that act as mobspawners. The first one has 3 soulshard cages with a skelly, zombie and spider soulshard. These are incredibly easy to get to tier 5; you just 'absorb' the abundant vanilla spawners that TC barrows and spider trees give you. Each spawner adds 200 to the shard and you need 1024 'kills' to fill one. This room has 4 grinders that kill the mobs and harvest essence that is stored.

The second room has a single MFR autospawner, again with 4 grinders. It uses the mob essence created by the first to spawn whatever I need, Ghasts for tears, endermen for pearls, blazes for rods, etc.

Reactions: Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
In my base I have 2 11x11 rooms that act as mobspawners. The first one has 3 soulshard cages with a skelly, zombie and spider soulshard. These are incredibly easy to get to tier 5; you just 'absorb' the abundant vanilla spawners that TC barrows and spider trees give you. Each spawner adds 200 to the shard and you need 1024 'kills' to fill one. This room has 4 grinders that kill the mobs and harvest essence that is stored.

The second room has a single MFR autospawner, again with 4 grinders. It uses the mob essence created by the first to spawn whatever I need, Ghasts for tears, endermen for pearls, blazes for rods, etc.

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for :)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Some screens:
Both the spawners. The SoulShard spawners is on the left, the MFR autospawner (with a Blaze Net inside currently) on the right):
hw9wzdv.png

Closeup of SS spawner:
zaLZU4L.png

And the MFR autospawner:
RjDqrBB.png

The MFR spawn room has conveyors pushing items into item collectors because ghast tears drop on the ground when they're killed by grinders somehow. This also picks up spoils bags.

Reactions: Staxed

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Is that another mod-boosted drop, like the extra cow leather?

Dunno. I do seem to get more of them, or do vanilla ghasts also sometimes drop more then one? I really do like how MFR solves the annoying mobdrop problem though, it's the one thing I really dislike about a lot of the mods; how they rely on stuff you need to grind through tons of annoying mobs through.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno. I do seem to get more of them, or do vanilla ghasts also sometimes drop more then one? I really do like how MFR solves the annoying mobdrop problem though, it's the one thing I really dislike about a lot of the mods; how they rely on stuff you need to grind through tons of annoying mobs through.

TiCo increases tears dropped by ghasts. Just use collectors.