Unique Base Design?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

iamjackproskater

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, Today I approach you with the challenge of a unique base design. Now iv'e tried it all; in the sky, in the nether, in the end, in a cave, in the ground, building houses, building warehouses, and building on cliffs. Yet all these seem so plain and have been done hundreds of times before. The problem with me is I am not a creative builder, I never have been and all my bases never please me and I end up abandoning them and starting a new one. I need something that is creative and has good space for all my machines and items. Feel free to post some of your creative ideas and designs or thoughts you might have on what I could possibly do. Also block schemes are difficult for me so if you could post those that would be great also (I dont like dark colors).

Dimitriye98

Jul 29, 2019
Giant underwater dome, 'nuff said.

Seriously though, I would do a ton of underwater domes connected by glass hallways.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I'm far from creative with my most recent base design. Giant 30x30x30 Obsidian cube with 5 floors and one door. (shrug) Not creative OR pretty, but absurdly functional and spacious.

I would LOVE to do a series of underwater domes, but normal glass would make me constantly itchy. Probably would use Reinforced Glass (does that exist in FTB Ultimate?) or something similar in toughness. Don't want to flood my dome on accident.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I love building tree houses. I might try that again, I'll just have to be careful and make sure that I don't burn my tree down. Soooo...no thermopiles, probably.

iamjackproskater

Jul 29, 2019
I love building tree houses. I might try that again, I'll just have to be careful and make sure that I don't burn my tree down. Soooo...no thermopiles, probably.
yea thats my main concern :p, Also the domes are a neat idea might have to take that into consideration, Any pictures anyone can include with their posts. That would be great

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
You could always setup a force field.. use the water dispersion addon... and set it to dome shape, right? Then just follow the inside contour of the dome with your building blocks. (shrug) Wonder if MFFS gear works underwater? :p

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
As someone that has built several underwater bases I can tell you that it is EXTREMELY tedious. Don't underestimate the time involved to build underwater and then the removal of the water from inside the enclosure you've built. Also, flowing water en-mass is very unfriendly for your FPS which will seriously annoy you if you aren't running a decent spec machine. The other issue is that the default glass texture also looks horrible but with Xycraft glass available that is now a non-issue. The end result is always very rewarding though, so something to look forward to. The BC pump, liquid void pipe and redstone energy cells at high outputs will quickly become your friends, but make sure you place the pump over part of ocean bed where the water sources can't regenerate the block that you're sucking, otherwise you'll be sucking water out in an infinite loop that will never end.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
in my last underwater build i used the buildcraft filler to clear water, sadly the clear pattern couldnt do so i had to get a bit creative.
First i setup my house, in this case a box, then i put up land marks inside of it and places the filler down and set it to fill the entire thing wiht cobble, afterwards i used the same filler and changed the pattern to clear out all the cobble

iamjackproskater

Jul 29, 2019
Th
As someone that has built several underwater bases I can tell you that it is EXTREMELY tedious. Don't underestimate the time involved to build underwater and then the removal of the water from inside the enclosure you've built. Also, flowing water en-mass is very unfriendly for your FPS which will seriously annoy you if you aren't running a decent spec machine. The other issue is that the default glass texture also looks horrible but with Xycraft glass available that is now a non-issue. The end result is always very rewarding though, so something to look forward to. The BC pump, liquid void pipe and redstone energy cells at high outputs will quickly become your friends, but make sure you place the pump over part of ocean bed where the water sources can't regenerate the block that you're sucking, otherwise you'll be sucking water out in an infinite loop that will never end.
The underwater idea is cool, however I like the idea of having sunlight, I know I could make a skylight if sorts but its not the same any other ideas

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
a unique base design.

Unique:
Being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else: "the situation was unique in modern politics"; "original and unique designs".

I just want to get that out of the way, because it doesn't sound like you are trying to make a unique base design, but a rare or uncommon base design.

If you TRULY want a unique base design, either getting a list of all other bases every used and then finding the areas that have not been saturated, or creating a design that is so far outside of all possible conception that the likelihood of it ever existing before is close enough to zero that you don't have to be a Government worker to call it good enough are your two best options.

If you just want a rare base design:
  • Build a massive dinosaur (or collection of dinosaurs), and live inside of them (bonus points of providing more than one entrance/exit).
  • Make a collection of rockwool (or wool if you want to live dangerously) clouds, and live in a cloud (not ON the cloud, IN the cloud). Build a rainstorm system to flood below you when needed. Building around a mountain is a good idea to account for your non-moving aspect.
  • Build a two-dimensional base (one block in one direction, with walls on both sides to disallow movement in that direction). Building a few of these side by side is also a good idea. Bonus points for setting up some turtles to work in the area as well (make sure to call them "ants").
  • A space elevator linking to M.C.S.S. 13 will be required, as well!
For uncommon designs, I'm sure you can find a bunch in this thread and via googling "minecraft base". Good luck!

Reactions: Rednpd and Jay Cee

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Make a huge pony statue, like Gar, and use that as your base. That or aim for a base that looks like somehting out of the American pioneer age

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
"I lack creativity, tell me what to do"
the 240th thread of it's kind (there or there abouts)

That being said, go have a look at CovertJaguars youtube channel, I've just stumbled across it recently and he's currently only 9 episodes into his Forgecraft LP but his base is probably the best I've seen on that server so far.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
CV does have an awesome base. with the dome, pools, stairways and landings it looks neat. I do so hope he got his golems working, got the visor upgrade for them.

AlexUbel

Jul 29, 2019
Unique:

I just want to get that out of the way, because it doesn't sound like you are trying to make a unique base design, but a rare or uncommon base design.

If you TRULY want a unique base design, either getting a list of all other bases every used and then finding the areas that have not been saturated, or creating a design that is so far outside of all possible conception that the likelihood of it ever existing before is close enough to zero that you don't have to be a Government worker to call it good enough are your two best options.

If you just want a rare base design:
  • Build a massive dinosaur (or collection of dinosaurs), and live inside of them (bonus points of providing more than one entrance/exit).
  • Make a collection of rockwool (or wool if you want to live dangerously) clouds, and live in a cloud (not ON the cloud, IN the cloud). Build a rainstorm system to flood below you when needed. Building around a mountain is a good idea to account for your non-moving aspect.
  • Build a two-dimensional base (one block in one direction, with walls on both sides to disallow movement in that direction). Building a few of these side by side is also a good idea. Bonus points for setting up some turtles to work in the area as well (make sure to call them "ants").
  • A space elevator linking to M.C.S.S. 13 will be required, as well!
For uncommon designs, I'm sure you can find a bunch in this thread and via googling "minecraft base". Good luck!

Some really cool ideas. I'm actually working toward a 'Solar System' base built to scale inside a void age. Should make for an interesting challenge.