Unifying ores for a custom modpack (+ bonus NEI question)

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in the process of making my first modpack for personal use. It will probably have about 80-100 mods maximum, including library mods. I have an HQM pack in mind, but figured it would be good experience to make my own pack for general play and mod testing before I wade into the depths of custom quest/lore writing.

1. How do I unify ores? I don't want to mine Mekanism copper AND TE4 copper or TiC aluminum AND Mariculture bauxite. I want one copper ore to generate and then work universally. Ideally I'd like Thermal Expansion to spawn everything that's common to a lot of mods and then allow individual mods with "weird" ores to handle themselves.

2. A few days ago, someone posted an amazing NEI plugin/addon that eliminated all the microblocks from the NEI list, leaving just one set of each recipe type that would display random textures. Anyone remember this? What it is and where I can find it? (I've searched, but I honestly can't remember if I saw it on reddit, the MC forums, here, at ATLauncher's forums, etc.)

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
1. Most ores are already in the dictionary - there are very few exceptions. You can disable each mod's ores in it's config file. Look for a line that is along the lines of "Generate Copper = true;" or something like that. Set it to false for all but one mod.
And Aluminium and Bauxite are much different from Tin and Copper. There's a reason the new ores were added.
2. IIRC, it's called Get The Fuck Out, Microblocks or GTFO Microblocks

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
Look for a line that is along the lines of "Generate Copper = true;" or something like that. Set it to false for all but one mod.

I figured this was it, but I wanted to be sure. I assume that by disabling the mod's own ore I will be able to use other mods' ores in place of it thanks to the oredict.

And Aluminium and Bauxite are much different from Tin and Copper. There's a reason the new ores were added.

True. I've just played so many mod packs that unified them so that you could use them interchangeably that I miss it when I'm playing newer packs that don't unify them. But mostly I'm concerned about Tin, Copper, etc. I'm playing a pack right now where *all* of the Mek ores and *all* of the TE ores are generating, and it's making me crazy. That plus a lot of other mistakes in configuring mods convinced me it was time to get off my butt and just make my own pack so that I only have myself to blame for brokenness. :)

IIRC, it's called Get The Fuck Out, Microblocks or GTFO Microblocks

My. Hero.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I figured this was it, but I wanted to be sure. I assume that by disabling the mod's own ore I will be able to use other mods' ores in place of it thanks to the oredict.
True. I've just played so many mod packs that unified them so that you could use them interchangeably that I miss it when I'm playing newer packs that don't unify them. But mostly I'm concerned about Tin, Copper, etc. I'm playing a pack right now where *all* of the Mek ores and *all* of the TE ores are generating, and it's making me crazy. That plus a lot of other mistakes in configuring mods convinced me it was time to get off my butt and just make my own pack so that I only have myself to blame for brokenness. :)
Yup. The other types of Tin and Copper will function properly via the Ore Dictionary. If you find in any case that it isn't working, feel free to use Minetweaker to add them to the Oredictionary.
My. Hero.
hero_time_by_kyoju_hikari-d5m6282.gif

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I've personally disabled all ores being generated (excluding the specials) in the mods config, then used CoFHWorld to generate the specific ore blocks I want.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
2. IIRC, it's called Get The Fuck Out, Microblocks or GTFO Microblocks
You sould also be able to click on "Item Subsets" up at the top of the inventory screen (with NEI enabled... obviously) and then right click on "Microblocks" and it should darken out. Search cover in NEI and behold.

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
You sould also be able to click on "Item Subsets" up at the top of the inventory screen (with NEI enabled... obviously) and then right click on "Microblocks" and it should darken out. Search cover in NEI and behold.

That's true, but currently NEI for 1.7.10 lags out quite a bit when excluding using this method. When looking for GTFO MB I actually found a denoflions mod that removes microblocks, biblio furniture, etc. Seems to work well so far.