Windows .exe Unacceptable fps

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: Problem solved!
The problem was switchable graphics, causing FTB to use Intel HD 4000 instead of my Nvidia GPU.

NOTE: Not all computers have switchable graphics. The problem is only possible if your processor has it's own GPU, and you have a dedicated Nvidia/ATI GPU. (most new intel i5/i7 processors have their own GPU, but not all of them)

How to solve:
1. Right click desktop, and select NVIDIA Control Panel
2. Go to left and navigate to 3D settings -> Manage 3D settings
3. Under Global Settings tab, select High-performance NVIDIA processor from the drop down box.

Here's an image of the control panel where it is.

A better way to do this ONLY for java:
1. Right click desktop, and select NVIDIA Control Panel
2. Go to left and navigate to 3D settings -> Manage 3D settings
3. Under Program Settings tab, add a new application
4. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe or C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe
(depends what OS and Java you have installed, add both just in case if you can find two)
5. Select High-performance NVIDIA processor from the drop down box.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for javaw.exe (after an update, the game uses javaw.exe instead of java.exe, but it can't hurt to do both)

----------

FTB Launcher version: 1.2.0​
Modpack: Direwolf20​
Minecraft Version: 1.4.6​
Java version: 7u10 64bit​

Anyway, I'm having a problem where if I look into certain directions, my FPS gets completely destroyed and is around 15-25, and it becomes difficult to turn around. This is when all detail settings are turned to low/off and view distance normal. I have to play with view distance short and sometimes tiny to get playable FPS.

Normal minecraft is ALWAYS 90-150+ FPS with all settings high, long view distance, and a lot of the special optifine settings turned on and a 256x texturepack enabled.

Things I've tried without any success:
Changing window size
Disabling every single mod I could disable
Gave the launcher 8 out of 16GB of RAM
Including and messing around with optifine
Setting java priority to High

Does anyone else have bad FPS at all?

Playing on a laptop.
-680m GTX (+Intel HD Graphics 4000)
-i7 3610QM
-16GB RAM
-Windows 7 64bit

beringtom

Jul 29, 2019
A friend of mine had the same problem, he decided to do a format, and the problem solved itself.
This is ofc not a viable solution, but we were unable to determine why this happened, i'll get his laptop specs when i can.

SFF2000

Jul 29, 2019
Are their big redwood trees nearby?
I get a large drop in FPS and have to exit out of FTB completely and launch again to fix. I do have redwood trees at my base. How does it cause dramatic FPS drop? For the me the world randomly starts to re-load every five seconds, but for the rest of the time its fine.

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
Are their big redwood trees nearby?
No, I've generated many worlds whenever I change something, and the problem always shows itself very soon. It also happens in the nether. (and as I said, disabling all mods does not help)

A friend of mine had the same problem, he decided to do a format, and the problem solved itself.
This is ofc not a viable solution, but we were unable to determine why this happened, i'll get his laptop specs when i can.
That's strange. Maybe it's some non-FTB thing causing a conflict?

beringtom

Jul 29, 2019
No, I've generated many worlds whenever I change something, and the problem always shows itself very soon. It also happens in the nether. (and as I said, disabling all mods does not help)

That's strange. Maybe it's some non-FTB thing causing a conflict?
it might be java or drivers, who knows :)

SphinX

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a large number of entities on the ground in the direction you are looking? (Poorly coded turtle, BC pipes dumping items)

Paulo27

Jul 29, 2019
I have a laptop with GT650M and an i7-3630QM and I get stable 60 FPS on normal and fancy (with optfine, it helps alot) and even near a redwood forest I get 30 FPS if I keep graphics on fancy.
You really shouldn't have these problems :\.
It might just be a problem with your drivers, if you updated recently, you should go ahead and down-grade, new drivers don't always mean good, if you haven't updated in a while try to update to the newer one, if that doesn't work, down-grade and repeat.

EDIT: I just remembered something, since you have the Intel HD 4000 maybe that's the problem, maybe your computer isn't detecting Minecraft as a heavy program and runs the Intel HD 4000 to save power, you should go to your NVIDIA control panel and mess around with setting to see what you can do.
To detect if Minecraft is using the NVIDIA card you can go the control panel > Desktop > Show activity icon on the task bar (or something like that, it's the last option) check that and you can see if it's using the NVIDIA card when you play Minecraft.

Also knowing the brand of the computer would help, as some computers have power plans that increase performance like my ASUS that has "Power4Gear High Performance" plan.

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a large number of entities on the ground in the direction you are looking? (Poorly coded turtle, BC pipes dumping items)
Nope, it happens very early on newly generated worlds after the blocks have loaded for a while, even before anything has been placed/destroyed by me.

I have a laptop with GT650M and an i7-3630QM and I get stable 60 FPS on normal and fancy (with optfine, it helps alot) and even near a redwood forest I get 30 FPS if I keep graphics on fancy.
You really shouldn't have these problems :\.
It might just be a problem with your drivers, if you updated recently, you should go ahead and down-grade, new drivers don't always mean good, if you haven't updated in a while try to update to the newer one, if that doesn't work, down-grade and repeat.

EDIT: I just remembered something, since you have the Intel HD 4000 maybe that's the problem, maybe your computer isn't detecting Minecraft as a heavy program and runs the Intel HD 4000 to save power, you should go to your NVIDIA control panel and mess around with setting to see what you can do.
To detect if Minecraft is using the NVIDIA card you can go the control panel > Desktop > Show activity icon on the task bar (or something like that, it's the last option) check that and you can see if it's using the NVIDIA card when you play Minecraft.

Also knowing the brand of the computer would help, as some computers have power plans that increase performance like my ASUS that has "Power4Gear High Performance" plan.
I didn't think about "forcing" Nvidia drivers to use my GPU for it instead of my CPUGPU because I can't remember doing it for normal Minecraft. There's a place in the settings to use the GTX for any application you choose, I've had to do that with Skyrim once. I'll definitely try that out when I get back home. My drivers are up to date and I'm not fond of the idea of using old drivers for the sake of Minecraft.

My laptop is a custom Clevo p150em.

Cmars

Jul 29, 2019
even near a redwood forest I get 30 FPS if I keep graphics on fancy.
I would use the Quality -> Tree's -> Fast on that one.
I get 60 (40 without it) in the Redwood forest and 210 fps in another biomes with some exceptions like other tree forests where I get 104 fps.

Paulo27

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, it happens very early on newly generated worlds after the blocks have loaded for a while, even before anything has been placed/destroyed by me.

I didn't think about "forcing" Nvidia drivers to use my GPU for it instead of my CPUGPU because I can't remember doing it for normal Minecraft. There's a place in the settings to use the GTX for any application you choose, I've had to do that with Skyrim once. I'll definitely try that out when I get back home. My drivers are up to date and I'm not fond of the idea of using old drivers for the sake of Minecraft.

My laptop is a custom Clevo p150em.

Downgrading drivers isn't really for the sake of Minecraft, there are many games where you'll get FPS problem because of new drivers not working properly.
Normal Minecraft runs fine with the HD 4000 (I actually make it use that so I over-work my GPU when it's not necessary).

I would use the Quality -> Tree's -> Fast on that one.
I get 60 (40 without it) in the Redwood forest and 210 fps in another biomes with some exceptions like other tree forests where I get 104 fps.

Yeah I was just thinking about that as well :p

Cmars

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I was just thinking about that as well :p
Also, there's some memory leaks somewhere that I haven't found yet.
But I allocate 11 GB to the jar and some locations it use 6 GB then go down when I leave it.

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm quite sure I found the problem. Thanks Paulo27 for pointing out the switchable graphics.

I tried pointing the Nvidia driver to FTB, but it didn't help. As it turns out, the GPU activity icon doesn't light up at all and it says no activity. When I start up normal minecraft, the activity icon turns on. Which means normal minecraft uses my GPU thus high FPS, but FTB uses my much worse CPUGPU and thus lag.

(to clarify, I'm referring to Intel HD 4000 by "CPUGPU", because it's a GPU in the CPU)

I honestly don't know how to fix this, because nvidia control panel only allows you to select the GPU to use in .exe files, not .jar. Or well, you can select the minecraft.jar by typing it's name in the file browser to make it appear, but it doesn't cause a change in GPU activity.

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
FIXED

Turns out I just had to set the globally preferred device to the Nvidia GPU. Now I get 110+ FPS even if I look into that glitch marsh with all the vanilla details turned on. I don't like this because now my computer might use my GPU on something that it's not necessary for, but at least I know how to fix this.

Reactions: Ashzification

Mighr

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly don't know how to fix this, because nvidia control panel only allows you to select the GPU to use in .exe files, not .jar. Or well, you can select the minecraft.jar by typing it's name in the file browser to make it appear, but it doesn't cause a change in GPU activity.

You have to select the java.exe (probably in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin), not the launcher itself.

Paulo27

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm quite sure I found the problem. Thanks Paulo27 for pointing out the switchable graphics.

I tried pointing the Nvidia driver to FTB, but it didn't help. As it turns out, the GPU activity icon doesn't light up at all and it says no activity. When I start up normal minecraft, the activity icon turns on. Which means normal minecraft uses my GPU thus high FPS, but FTB uses my much worse CPUGPU and thus lag.

(to clarify, I'm referring to Intel HD 4000 by "CPUGPU", because it's a GPU in the CPU)

Try to direct it to java since if you go on your Task Manager it doesn't say minecraft.exe but java.exe (or something similar, basicly it's running java, not minecraft).
Can't really think of anything else, you should try some NVIDIA-support forums to try and figure it out.

EDIT: Just noticed you figured it out, good, still you should try what I said above if you're not 100% happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.