Windows .exe Unacceptable fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
You have to select the java.exe (probably in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin), not the launcher itself.
Try to direct it to java since if you go on your Task Manager it doesn't say minecraft.exe but java.exe (or something similar, basicly it's running java, not minecraft).
Can't really think of anything else, you should try some NVIDIA-support forums to try and figure it out.

EDIT: Just noticed you figured it out, good, still you should try what I said above if you're not 100% happy.
Ah thanks, I'll have to try that out. I would indeed rather configure it to use my GPU on this game specifically, rather than globally by default.

Do you mind if I add this to my trouble shooting guide?
Sure, why not.

Karimiri

Jul 29, 2019
FIXED

Turns out I just had to set the globally preferred device to the Nvidia GPU. Now I get 110+ FPS even if I look into that glitch marsh with all the vanilla details turned on. I don't like this because now my computer might use my GPU on something that it's not necessary for, but at least I know how to fix this.
hi, can you paste ascreenshot of that setting and where it is exacly ?
maby thats language issue thingy, or i just look in the wrong spot, but just cant find that xD

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
hi, can you paste ascreenshot of that setting and where it is exacly ?
maby thats language issue thingy, or i just look in the wrong spot, but just cant find that xD
Aaah sorry late reply, you might have found it by now but here it is anyway. :p

ZU3Qc.png

Reactions: Skirty_007

Karimiri

Jul 29, 2019
yeah that confirms it... i have no such thing here, only global and program tabs :p
(but instead igot 5 of those left side tasks to select...)
what GraphicCars and driver verssion are you using ?

seannyyx

Jul 29, 2019
So I've gone at updated my java to 64bit
Tweaked settings to have a min and max of 1 and 4 gb ram for java
Updated any and all graphics updatable
Tweaked my minecraft so it's windowed and is running almost nothing but basic fast on normal distance.

Yet I still have 3-6fps; especially when it rains or have more than 3 mobs on screen.
Nice open, Quiet areas, I can get 12-15fps.. But not often you get those situations on MC

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
yeah that confirms it... i have no such thing here, only global and program tabs :p
(but instead igot 5 of those left side tasks to select...)
what GraphicCars and driver verssion are you using ?
I do remember having more options in the left too, but I'm not sure what happened. :eek: And now that I look at it on my school computer, I don't have it either. My own Driver version is 310.90 WHQL.

I think it's actually because you don't have switchable graphics. You can check it with CPUz or something.

Tweaked my minecraft so it's windowed and is running almost nothing but basic fast on normal distance.

Yet I still have 3-6fps; especially when it rains or have more than 3 mobs on screen.
Nice open, Quiet areas, I can get 12-15fps.. But not often you get those situations on MC
I don't personally know much about other things to try, all I know is that having trees on high quality is somewhat slow. Optifine would be great too if you don't have it yet.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Do you have anything else running in the background? One common fault I'm finding with the current generation of PC users is that they have a ton of background programs open and that they love to alt-tab into other stuff. This is a BIG NO NO.
Doesn't matter how good your PC is, doing that sort of stuff will give your PC headaches, as games, etc, are not designed to be used in that way.
Ensure nothing else is running so that all your resources are available to your game.

I have a 2 core, 2.4hgz processor, 3 gig ram, 512 meg graphics card, use a 64x texture pack, view distance on Normal+16, and Fancy graphics plus Optifine. I'll get FPS bouncing around between 5 and 40 FPS, after a while, I start getting lag spikes, and sometimes graphic corruption (espeically GUI's) at that point I have to reload MC.

My personal belief is that some of these mods are not written as optimised as they could be (or an issue with how mods are loaded). After all, the Minecraft "mod" is 7 meg and contains a ton of stuff and the entire core system, and that loads very quickly and gives me 90+ FPS. Start chucking in a few mods, all of which are less then 2 meg each, and FPS drops by about 1-5 per mod and loading time (for me) can reach up to 2+ minutes.

seannyyx

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have anything else running in the background? One common fault I'm finding with the current generation of PC users is that they have a ton of background programs open and that they love to alt-tab into other stuff. This is a BIG NO NO.
Doesn't matter how good your PC is, doing that sort of stuff will give your PC headaches, as games, etc, are not designed to be used in that way.
Ensure nothing else is running so that all your resources are available to your game.

I have a 2 core, 2.4hgz processor, 3 gig ram, 512 meg graphics card, use a 64x texture pack, view distance on Normal+16, and Fancy graphics plus Optifine. I'll get FPS bouncing around between 5 and 40 FPS, after a while, I start getting lag spikes, and sometimes graphic corruption (espeically GUI's) at that point I have to reload MC.

My personal belief is that some of these mods are not written as optimised as they could be (or an issue with how mods are loaded). After all, the Minecraft "mod" is 7 meg and contains a ton of stuff and the entire core system, and that loads very quickly and gives me 90+ FPS. Start chucking in a few mods, all of which are less then 2 meg each, and FPS drops by about 1-5 per mod and loading time (for me) can reach up to 2+ minutes.

Think, based on this; I just need to upgrade my laptop. My dual processors are only 1.3ghz and I can not handle 32x never mind 64x texture packs.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Think, based on this; I just need to upgrade my laptop. My dual processors are only 1.3ghz and I can not handle 32x never mind 64x texture packs.
I play on a laptop. I am content with 30-50 FPS on any given day. I get frustrated when I'm stuck below 20 for any given period of time. I don't use texture packs, because I can't.If I do anything in the back ground, it is one firefox tab for a wiki. Then I end process it. I can average right around 50 FPS with just the launcher running.
AMD turion 2, dual core, mobile m500 2.2 GHz, 4 GB of RAM-3.75 usable. 64 bit Win 7. 4 years old.
By far not the best thing to be running MC on. But it's also not the worst.

T10a

Jul 29, 2019
I too am having FPS issues, even removed ExtrabiomesXL, Xycraft (Sorry Sorayn :(), and some other mods, but my Nvidia Control panel has no drop down box.

Edit: Whoops, realised I necrobumped. :oops:

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know, 16x texturepacks does not change your FPS.
Also, I meant I can't. My computer has a hard enough time staying around 40 FPS with all settings on high. Every time I've tried a texture pack I've gotten around 10 FPS.
But, I don't mind the Vanilla textures that much so it's not a real bother
I too am having FPS issues, even removed ExtrabiomesXL, Xycraft (Sorry Sorayn :(), and some other mods, but my Nvidia Control panel has no drop down box.

Edit: Whoops, realised I necrobumped. :oops:
Don't worry about it too much ;)

Paulo27

Jul 29, 2019
Not only that, even I (with a nvidia video card) does not seem to be able either.

But that might be because you don't have an extra GPU.
And @rodfort I know saw some laptops that come with a Radeon GPU and then an extra GPU, so it's possible, just don't know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.