Unable to connect to server after modem reset?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Defiancey

Jul 29, 2019
This seems like it should go under the tech support section but its not a crashing issue or mod issue. I was having an issue with my wireless connection on my phone when i was home and connected to wi-fi. It was really slow, almost non existent. So i called my isp and he had me a do a number of things. One of these was to hard reset my modem. Its a motorola surfboard. Also ended up changing a setting in the router. Anyways that was late last night and I went to bed, this fixed the issue with my phone. But today when i went to start the server up and my buddy went to connect and the server didnt show up. I tried and same thing. I could connect via localhost, but not with the ip address. So i checked to make sure my ip and ipv4 address didnt change. Next i checked and the port forwarding was all gone. So i re added that in there and still nothing. I spent about 90mins on the phone with my ISP, she tried and said ports 25565 were open on their end. Messed with port triggering and a couple other things. The only way we ended up getting it to work was by enabling DMZ host. Which is not very good from what i understand as it opens the computer up to the internet or something. We went through and created a static ip address and that didnt work. He suggestion was something might have messed up the fireware when I did the hard reset on the modem and i should take it back to my ISP and get a new one. Which im going to do tomorrow. After i was done on the phone I went and changed the static IP to something other then what she had me set it to, which was exactly the same as it was under ipconfig. I also changed the port in my servers config file and did the same in the modem. But when i try connecting via the ip, my ftb launcher console still says im trying to connect via the 25565 and not the new one which i changed to 26656. Anyone ever go through this? Im hoping someone has and can help me out, otherwise im going to rely on a new modem and hope i dont need to spend another 90mins on the phone with my ISP, which is time warner btw.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I hate to say this but it sounds like you learned a hard lesson. A hard reset on modem and routers reset them back to factory defaults and will erase any of your custom settings. So that being said eliminate the problems one at time. First, make sure you can connect to the your server locally use a laptop or something else on your network and make sure the server is working correctly. If that works then don't mess with the server any more. Concentrate your efforts on the modem/router and the port forward. I don't know about the surfboards so I can't help you with the exact configuration details.

Personally I prefer not to use devices that have routers/wi-fi built into them from my ISP. My peference is to always use my own device for that. My current setup is a surfboard modem (that is all it is no built in router or wi-fi) and a buffalo router. The buffalo router has DD-WRT firmware loaded on it.

Defiancey

Jul 29, 2019
I only use the wifi for my phone when im at home. The only settings i had in the modem was a handful of ports forwarded. I dont ever remember messing with anything else.