~Ultimate Pack~

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I don't really see how the conversion process could cause trouble, at least for Vanilla worlds that is. All they have to do is a fancy "search and replace" that looks up the blocks by ID and then replaces them with a name in the save file. Assuming that's all they change.

For mods that will cause issues though, unless they modify Mojang's converter to also replace their blocks properly. It's not impossible, but the main question is if modders are willing to invest time in a converter when the issue is easily solved by starting a new world...
Personally I'd rather have modders focus on updating their mods at that time than bother to save everyone's worlds. I mean, making 1 converter for all different mods will be a huge challenge and take lots of time. If I get the option to play with mods a week after the release of the API, but lose my world. Or wait for 2 months and not lose my world, then I will just drop my world and make a new one.
Chances are there will be changes to world gen and stuff by that time anyway.

arthahar

Oct 31, 2012
i think block ids still be used world save but its (new) will be autoassigned for strings and remembered in table in world save (at conversion just will be build ids table by existed world. In this case mods with unique block/items will always no conflict and same blocks from different mods (ores) will auto merged as current ore dictionary in forge work.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
This is Minecraft. We are already used to new worlds or not updating to preserve one we want to keep using for a while. Not to mention all the tools to run MULTIPLE versions easily as closing one and firing up another, such as MultiMC or the FTB Launcher (1.2.5 retro pack for the first map :D).

I suspect vanilla worlds to be capable of transition still, like previous updates. I also expect modded worlds not to be capable. Mojang cannot account for all the toys we might throw in the magic box of Minecraft and so there isn't really much purpose in even trying to figure out how they might convert mod worlds. I don't think they could reasonably account for enough of the variations.

All in all, we will enjoy our current worlds. We will start new ones. There will probably be at least one or two programmers that come up with some form of blueprinting transfer system somewhere. Using options we've had available, we will continue to enjoy our current long-haul worlds.

Minecraft is a sandbox both in the game world and the meta of mods and other options that surround it. You ultimately have control to preserve anything you have in the version it is in. :cool:

Reactions: Yeti

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
The big issue with porting is changed Item IDs, and getting the benefits of new WorldGen.

Item IDs:
The Tekkit guys have a tool for converting Item IDs between Tekkit Classic and Tekkit Lite:
http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/how-to-convert-tekkit-classic-world-to-tekkit-lite.34915/

This could be adapted for going from FTB Beta A to FTB Ultimate if there are Item ID conflicts.

WorldGen:
WorldGen is still an issue. I don't know if there's a way to "reset" areas. Of course, you wouldn't want to reset your house. But if you could reset previously explored chunks that you haven't built on. Can NBT Edit reset chunks? With the new MCR Region format, they are stored in groups of 32x32 chunks. So you could make a list of what regions are inhabited, and delete the rest. Voila, new worldgen!

Region files are located in a subfolder of the world directory called "region", and have names in the form r.x.z.mcr, where x and z are the region's coordinates. The coordinates for the region a chunk belongs to can be found by taking the floor of the chunk coordinates divided by 32.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Region_file_format

That makes each Region a 512 x 256 x 512 block area (a chunk is 16 x 256 x 16, and a Region is 32 x 1 x 32 chunks).

MystCraft:
As an alternative to WorldGen, you could port your old world as a Mystcraft Age using this guide:
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/153r0g/tutorial_a_stepbystep_guide_for_how_to_import/

Then you can slowly move into the new WorldGen over time. This is our plan. Machines are portable, Farms are largely portable. Houses/bases/sorting systems are the only things that need to be re-built.

So, there's plenty of options for building in a new world. I don't think anyone can complain.

Someone should shove all this information into a Wiki page so it doesn't get lost :)

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I don't really see how the conversion process could cause trouble, at least for Vanilla worlds that is. All they have to do is a fancy "search and replace" that looks up the blocks by ID and then replaces them with a name in the save file. Assuming that's all they change.

For mods that will cause issues though, unless they modify Mojang's converter to also replace their blocks properly. It's not impossible, but the main question is if modders are willing to invest time in a converter when the issue is easily solved by starting a new world...
Personally I'd rather have modders focus on updating their mods at that time than bother to save everyone's worlds. I mean, making 1 converter for all different mods will be a huge challenge and take lots of time. If I get the option to play with mods a week after the release of the API, but lose my world. Or wait for 2 months and not lose my world, then I will just drop my world and make a new one.
Chances are there will be changes to world gen and stuff by that time anyway.

I'd expect that nothing will change for mods at first. Block ids would or rather could be the same. As I posted previously the new block IDs would be the actual names of the blocks. But there is no reason why the old numbers could not be used. Using numbers would be awkward though. And I'd expect mods to eventually upgrade to the easier to use format. Mods that used the old format would only require a file added that lists the old numbers relationship with the blocks name. Something like:
1=Stone
2=Grass
Exc.
Any new mods would of coarse use the new format so there shouldn't be any conflict with the old numbers.

Again just a guess.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
The big issue with porting is changed Item IDs, and getting the benefits of new WorldGen.

Item IDs:
The Tekkit guys have a tool for converting Item IDs between Tekkit Classic and Tekkit Lite:
http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/how-to-convert-tekkit-classic-world-to-tekkit-lite.34915/

This could be adapted for going from FTB Beta A to FTB Ultimate if there are Item ID conflicts.

WorldGen:
WorldGen is still an issue. I don't know if there's a way to "reset" areas. Of course, you wouldn't want to reset your house. But if you could reset previously explored chunks that you haven't built on. Can NBT Edit reset chunks? With the new MCR Region format, they are stored in groups of 32x32 chunks. So you could make a list of what regions are inhabited, and delete the rest. Voila, new worldgen!

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Region_file_format

That makes each Region a 512 x 256 x 512 block area (a chunk is 16 x 256 x 16, and a Region is 32 x 1 x 32 chunks).

MystCraft:
As an alternative to WorldGen, you could port your old world as a Mystcraft Age using this guide:
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/153r0g/tutorial_a_stepbystep_guide_for_how_to_import/

Then you can slowly move into the new WorldGen over time. This is our plan. Machines are portable, Farms are largely portable. Houses/bases/sorting systems are the only things that need to be re-built.

So, there's plenty of options for building in a new world. I don't think anyone can complain.

Someone should shove all this information into a Wiki page so it doesn't get lost :)

I actually did this today on my server's FTB Beta A world.

Worked like a charm. I used MindCrack + Mystcraft zip from DW20. Turned down GregTech nerfs.

Made a new world and imported the old one as Mystcraft age. Just follow the guide. Note -- when copying your old 'data' folder, delete the agedata#.dat files.

Only thing that screwed up is portal frames and obsidian pressure plates disappeared.

Creeper Be Creepin

Jul 29, 2019
Can't wait till I get my hands on the ultimate pack i'm hoping for at least 20 new mod's in it :)[DOUBLEPOST=1358737177][/DOUBLEPOST]Hope posting in red does'nt get me in trouble.

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
All the mods that add world gen are released, some in beta form, so why hasn't the pack released. I believe the team is probably looking at other mods to add to the pack that add worldgen or they are waiting on Xycraft to have more useful additions to it. Either way, waiting sucks ass. Maybe they can give a list of the mods they are considering. Just a thought and one that has been expressed before many times

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
All the mods that add world gen are released, some in beta form, so why hasn't the pack released. I believe the team is probably looking at other mods to add to the pack that add worldgen or they are waiting on Xycraft to have more useful additions to it. Either way, waiting sucks ass. Maybe they can give a list of the mods they are considering. Just a thought and one that has been expressed before many times

I can tell you why the pack hasn't been released let: they are trying to make it work. Unless, of course you don't want it to work and you just want the satisfaction of having a file on your computer which anyone can download.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Ultimate needs more of EE3 to be completed and the Mystcraft issues cleared up. Beyond that, Ars Magica and MineChem 2 might be getting included. We'll have to see. :D

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
I can tell you why the pack hasn't been released let: they are trying to make it work. Unless, of course you don't want it to work and you just want the satisfaction of having a file on your computer which anyone can download.

If you reread the post you'll see I answered my own question and provided a possible reason why it hasn't been released. Additionally, my post is more speculation than a complaint on the release of the UP. Finally, I am stating the obvious when I say waiting sucks ass while making a small request the team give us a list of the mods they are considering for the pack. I never asked for a non working file. Please take additional care when reading BEFORE posting.....lol.

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
As you don't know what mods will be in the released Ultimate pack, you have no way of knowing this.

I agree, which is part of the issue. I'd be nice to have an idea what they are looking at or waiting for aside from the obvious with Xycraft, XL Biomes, and Mystcraft. A list of possible mods for the pack wouldn't be out of their wheelhouse as they release a similar list when they were putting together the DW20 and Mindcrack packs. Actually, I think there were two spreadsheets floating around. One listed the worldgen percentage and the updates to 1.4.6 seperately (maybe it was 1.4.5) In either case a list is a small thing and throws the community a bone.

Yes, I'm aware people will just complain about the mods on the list but hell it'd be a new complaint....lol

Reactions: sciguyryan