U.S.S. Hamster [WIP]

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
You need yourself some combat golems with the shooter upgrade.

Until the hull is done, it's my first priority. Then I have to exchange the temporary stone and work on the interior- including security!

I did build a new iron golem farm this weekend, 3 cells so far room for 12. I'll also be able to keep adding to it as my quarry clears land. The added iron production is a big help!

Also- building the golem farm is MUCH faster in FTB, what I built in 3-4 hours this weekend took me over a week when I built in vanilla!!

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to work out if your insane or a genius.
I think prehaps your walking the line between the two maybe.

Either way I am hugely imppressed with what you have done so far.
I can see it being a popular world download if you decided to release it.
Watching with interest...

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Until the hull is done, it's my first priority. Then I have to exchange the temporary stone and work on the interior- including security!

I did build a new iron golem farm this weekend, 3 cells so far room for 12. I'll also be able to keep adding to it as my quarry clears land. The added iron production is a big help!

Also- building the golem farm is MUCH faster in FTB, what I built in 3-4 hours this weekend took me over a week when I built in vanilla!!
12 20 story love shacks. It'll look more like a modern city quick.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
12 20 story love shacks. It'll look more like a modern city quick.

I still have nightmares of pushing minecarts up 1 wide spiraling staircases into the sky to the upper cells only to have the villagers glitch through the floor and fall to their deathc 2/3 of the time when I broke the carts...

MUCH easier with a gravity suit and gravity gun :)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Infinite iron?

Anyway, looking great, wish I could do large builds, but I'm not creative enough :(

You just need to build your creative musicles.

Just build more often. And give yourself some diffucilty which forces you to be more creative by giving you problems to work around.

Relize that the large and great builds take time. This I think is the big hurdle for most. Relize your not going to be done in one sitting or even 10 some of these things takes weeks of real time.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Infinite iron?

Anyway, looking great, wish I could do large builds, but I'm not creative enough :(

There's an item you can make then grind into 2x the iron dust it costs to make. I tried it once to see it works but refuse to use it. I'd be surprised if it's not fixed in the latest update, but I haven't updated yet. Updating process will take some time to test and make sure everything is still working and I know of two changes that will require re-tooling parts of my production line so I haven't taken the time yet.

As for creative, you just have to think of something you want to build, then try. If you don't like it, fix the parts you don't like. For added awesomeness, quadruple the size you thought of initially :)

Relize that the large and great builds take time. This I think is the big hurdle for most. Relize your not going to be done in one sitting or even 10 some of these things takes weeks of real time.

This project will keep me occupied for quite a while. The most limiting factor for me is resource production. I'm going to have to really expand my iron golem farm and maybe build a 2nd quarry. I'm getting plenty of brass from 7 centrifuges, at least, but even that will take a long time to fill in my needs.

I did reach an important milestone tonight- I finished the first quarter section of my bottom hull! Bottom right section , see pic. This also means I finally have all the row calculations finished- no more trying to figure all that out, just need to place the blocks!

I can also now start figuring out how I want the engineering section of the ship to attach to the saucer. I have a vague idea how I want it to look, but no idea how to get there yet...

2013-02-04_22.32.27.png

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You just need to build your creative musicles.

Just build more often. And give yourself some diffucilty which forces you to be more creative by giving you problems to work around.

My lazy muscles are strong enough to beat me back when I try to be creative c:

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
If you have it to spare, the Xycraft aluminium can be made into light coloured metal blocks. Might that help for joining material?

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
14 more stacks of brass blocks, 8 stacks of iron, 4 hard glass stacks and 8 reinforced glass stacks placed today. Barely made a dent.

Placed some wrath lamps on the underside to hopefully reduce bat spawning. Need a lot more of those.

I'm going to have to set up an automated production line for the sheer number of redpower lamps I'll be using once I start on the interior.

Hitmaniac

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed on your screenshots the weird pattern the blocks get when you are far away. If you get Optifine, there is a setting to fix that. Looks good man, keep up the good work.