Twitch enters agreement to purchase Curse.

Feed the Beast

Jul 29, 2019
As I am sure most people will have now seen, it was announced today that FTB partner Curse has entered into an agreement to be acquired by Twitch.TV. The FTB team is excited about the new possibilities that this will provide to our community. With regards to how this news will affect our partnership, for the near future everything will remain the same. Our plan is to sit down and talk to the appropriate people soon to talk about the partnership moving forwards. As soon as we have more news with regards to this we will release it....

Piripács

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder how many will swear off of Twitch now that Curse is involved? :D

That is what I instantly think of when see that now TwitchTV will be under a curse too...

For gods sake, someone, please summon some powerful guardian, who can remove the curse from Minecraft and its modding community!
PLEASE!!!

Deefster10k

Jul 29, 2019
From what I can tell, you guys had absolutely no clue this was happening. Veeeerrryy different to when microsoft acquired beam recently. The CEO of beam himself had talked to the partners.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
That is what I instantly think of when see that now TwitchTV will be under a curse too...

For gods sake, someone, please summon some powerful guardian, who can remove the curse from Minecraft and its modding community!
PLEASE!!!

Actually... Curse is under twitch.

Ninetailed

Jul 29, 2019
I hadn't heard about this. I can see how it makes sense for both companies, though. Hoping the changes won't be too sweeping.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
I wonder if the Twitch folks will be more responsive to our complaints about Curse...

Are you going write to twitch's support or management about problems with Curse? Or maybe amazon is even better target. </sarcasm>

Reactions: profrags

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Are you going write to twitch's support or management about problems with Curse? Or maybe amazon is even better target. </sarcasm>

No, they'll just keep complaining on these FtB Forums, which most likely nobody from Curse even looks at... :D

Reactions: DeathOfTime

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Hmm, I looked at the relationship between Microsoft and Amazon, and while they don't seem to be directly integrated with each other, there are Amazon Web Services agreements between Microsoft and this subsidiary of Amazon, Inc. so there might not be as much friction as people think there is.

Now, Microsoft acquired Mojang, and Amazon are acquiring Curse, does anyone sense some kind of relationship here that might come out of this? The next year or two certainly should bring some interesting developments! :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Hmm, I looked at the relationship between Microsoft and Amazon, and while they don't seem to be directly integrated with each other, there are Amazon Web Services agreements between Microsoft and this subsidiary of Amazon, Inc. so there might not be as much friction as people think there is.

Now, Microsoft acquired Mojang, and Amazon are acquiring Curse, does anyone sense some kind of relationship here that might come out of this? The next year or two certainly should bring some interesting developments! :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
On August 25, 2014, it was announced that Amazon.com would acquire Twitch Interactive for US$970 million.[38][39] The deal was expected to be finalized by the end of 2014.[2][40] Sources reported that the rumored Google deal had fallen through and allowed Amazon to make the bid; Forbes reported that Google had backed out of the deal due to potential antitrust concerns surrounding it and its existing ownership of YouTube.[41] The acquisition was closed on September 25, 2014.[42]

Twitch is now operated as a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, with Emmett Shear remaining as CEO. Shear touted the Amazon Web Services platform as an "attractive" aspect of the deal, and that Amazon had "built relationships with the big players in media," which could be used to the service's advantage—particularly in the realm of content licensing. The purchase of Twitch marks the third recent video gaming–oriented acquisition by Amazon, which had previously acquired the developers Reflexive Entertainment and Double Helix Games.[43]

On December 9, 2014, Twitch announced it had acquired GoodGame Agency, an organisation that owns the esports teams Evil Geniuses and Alliance.[44][45] On August 16, 2016, Twitch acquired Curse, Inc.

Since They have a CEO still and are only A subsidiary of Amazon curse is more likely owned by twitch.
Also Note: That Curse has a Partnership program for youtubers which I would guess is another reason Twitch wanted the company. Link to partnership faq: https://support.unionforgamers.com/entries/24050482-Partnership-F-A-Q-

Last edited: