Twilight Forest. I need a reason to go there.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Other than it's interesting and some people find it fun. :D

What I mean is, I wish that the core mods would add something to their pack that would give me a reason to go do a little exploring there, without necessarily needing to complete the levels or tasks. And I don't mean adding something that becomes a requirement for existing items in the mods, but an additional feature that gives you a better tool or weapon so you would be encouraged to go there and explore a bit. Tinkers specifically comes to mind here, in much the way you need to go to the nether to find ardite and cobalt which in turn encourages a bit of exploration there, some item you get from Twilight would have an attribute that would make weapons or tools more powerful, like a leaf that makes crossbow bolts better, or something like a wood that has a higher than normal modifier that isn't really hard to find, you just have to go there and schlep around a bit. Or a drop from a common animal there that gives you some other advantage. My gameplay enjoyment is mostly from making useful tools, weapons and machines and I rarely ever use any magic mods, unless you count Botania which i use to get the sash and magnet then i stop. I've attempted to do the Twilight forest a couple times and just didn't feel it. But some item that would give me a big advantage for mining, fighting or some other practical benefit would definitely motivate me to go there more. I like the portal, and the feel of the dimension, I just wish that I had a need or goal, because due to the lack of that, I don't go there unless someone on our server makes the portal, and then I just go there to derp around a bit.

Just a thought in case anyone was looking for some way to expand their mod. :D

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if you're the kind of player that 'likes' to mine, like I do, but if you are, I kind of like mining in Twilight Forest. It seems more 'pot luck' than the overworld. I think in my next world, I might actually try to 'live' in the Twilight Forest.

Reactions: RedBoss

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
I used to like going to TW because of the mining mounds, the different creatures and bosses, and general uniqueness of the world. Since the author turned it into a "progression world", I don't visit it anymore. I don't like forced progression in sandbox game. It would be nice if the progression was configurable. Oh well, there are other worlds to explore.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I used to like going to TW because of the mining mounds, the different creatures and bosses, and general uniqueness of the world. Since the author turned it into a "progression world", I don't visit it anymore. I don't like forced progression in sandbox game. It would be nice if the progression was configurable. Oh well, there are other worlds to explore.

Yes, I found that annoying to the point after I killed the Litch king, and the next boss I found wasn't in the correct order, I bailed. It's too bad because it really is an interesting place.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Pretty sure it is configurable. Lemme check...

*looks through TF config file*

... Huh. I thought there was an option in there, but I don't see it.

Anyhow, TF adds its own page of achievements in the vanilla achievements menu. There's one for each boss, and each unlocks when you beat the previous boss, so it pretty effectively shows you the order you need to do the things. It also has a few extra things, showing what you can do with some of the boss drops.

The progression order, if I remember correctly, is as follows:
  1. Naga (courtyard in generic forest/meadow biome)
  2. Lich (tower in generic forest/meadow biome)
  3. Minoshroom (Labyrinth in a Swamp)
  4. Hydra (lair in Fire Swamp)
  5. Knight Phantom (Goblin Stronghold under the Dark Forest)
  6. Ur-Ghast Tower (center of Dark Forest)
  7. Alpha Yeti (Snowy Forest hollow hill)
  8. Snow Queen (tower atop the Glacier)
  9. Troll Caves to get Magic Beans and Uberous Soil (Highlands)
  10. Giant Miner to get the Giant Pickaxe (The floating island in the middle of the Highlands)
  11. Back to the Troll Caves; find and crack the vault to get the Lamp of Cinders
  12. Castle on the Final Plateau in the middle of the Thornlands (work in progress?)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Whenever you have a world gen problem and can't find vanilla items like cactus, melon, lily pads, etc you can find them easily in the Twilight Forest. Before forced progression, I used to get my nether wart and blaze rods from TF instead of the nether just to add flavor.

Reactions: Baron_Falcon