trying to set up a oil pump

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
This will be for our first oil pump, we dont yet have enough resources (but turtles are diggin away for us as i type) to build the combustion engines just yet, and trying to stay away from steam for this first one.
Ive got 10 Redstone engines. Atleast a stack of gold, copper, iron dusts, a stack of waterproofing.

top of oil jet is located 5 blocks high, i built a 10x10x1 wooden platform around the top of the oil spout.

We dont have a refinery just yet so the goal right now is to just pump the oil into a tank, ive got 2 stacks of tanks.

All the tutorials ive found for oil pumps on youtube use combustion oils and fuel for them.. Our problem is that were not developed enough to produce the fuel to run them. Will be building a refinery once we can. But in the meanwhile I wanted to start collecting the oil.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The pumps and refinery just need sufficient BC energy in general. Steam Engines or Magmatic Engines should be able to do the job.

Azurren

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure what your question actually is.. :confused:
But 4 redstone engines are more than enough to pump-out an oil well, you could even do it with one if you like.

As for refining your first sip of fuel.. Well I usually manually power a single combustion engine with a single bucket of oil to get the ball rolling (Unless I've already got a network of steam power. I wouldn't build them if you haven't got any yet)

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The TE Steam Engine and the Hobbyist Steam Engine can be run without a Boiler. The TE Steam Engine doesn't actually use steam from a Boiler, and as engines can be easily broke and placed elsewhere without losing them, I don't see any harm in putting the Hobbyist Steam Engines to use even before a steam network is in place.

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
my question is, how do i get the oil from the pump to my double high stack of tanks. i put them right next to the pump and while the 10 redstone engines are moving/working but nothings going into the tanks

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
That's because pumps don't autoeject into tanks.

Connect a waterproof pipe to the pump and the other end to the tank. You don't need a wooden waterproof pipe or any engines powering the pipe. So long as the pump itself is powered (one single redstone engine at maximum speed is fast enough to keep a refinery busy), it will output liquid to the pipes.

Also note that there are at least two "pump"s in the game. You need the one from Buildcraft, which is constructed by combining a "mining well" with a tank. An Industrialcraft pump will not work for you, even if you did power it with Industrialcraft energy.

And, one more thing: you can't use Redstone engines on conductive pipes anymore, it was disabled as they were never meant for that purpose but people went and lagged servers to death with hundreds of them at a time. If you are referring to 10 redstone engines, you are probably trying to do just that and your pump is simply getting zero power because of this change. Instead, power the pump with directly attached redstone engines. As I mentioned above, one will be enough once heated up, but you can connect up to 4 engines while still having room for your liquid pipe and the downwards facing "drill" bit.

EDIT: also, don't use combustion engines on pumps, the people who made the tutorials you watched have no clue how Buildcraft engines and machines work internally (or don't care because they're using creative mode). The pump cannot handle the sheer output of the combustion engine and 99% of the power will simply vanish into thin air. Even if you used a lossless connector to store and distribute energy over time, like energy conduits from Thermal Expansion, the pump still wouldn't consume anywhere near the 6 MJ/t the combustion engine puts out.

Basically, never use anything other than directly connected Redstone engines on pumps. If you absolutely need maximum speed, connect no more than 1 MJ/t (stirling engine, peat fired engine or comparable) to the pump via conduits, and make sure the output pipe is a golden waterproof pipe or a liquiduct. Anything more than that is a complete waste of energy and will give zero extra output. ;)

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
Ok that makes some more sense.

Step 1 Center pump made from the mining well + tank over oil spout.
Step 2 place 1 redstone generator next to the pump.
step 3 place 1 lever next to the generator.
Step 4 place 1 wooden water waterproof pipe ontop of the well.
Step 5 place stone waterproof pipes connecting the wood one to the bottom of the stack of tanks.

step 6 watch the tanks fill up?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think you need to use a wooden pipe for a pump, though I could be wrong. I've not messed with oil and pumps much. Even if you did need the wooden pipe, I know you would not need another pipe between it and the tank. You just need to make sure the wooden pipe is positioned to pull out of the pump, not the tank (again, if the wooden pipe is even needed).

Azurren

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think you need to use a wooden pipe for a pump, though I could be wrong. I've not messed with oil and pumps much. Even if you did need the wooden pipe, I know you would not need another pipe between it and the tank. You just need to make sure the wooden pipe is positioned to pull out of the pump, not the tank (again, if the wooden pipe is even needed).
As said by SilvasRuin you DON'T need a waterproof wooden pipe to draw water out of a pump
However you do need one to draw liquid out of a buildcraft tank

Back in Buildcraft 2 wooden pipes had a nasty habit of reversing your input/output when placed next to 2 inventories
Or when placed beside a valid and invalid inventory

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough. So just stone waterproof pipes from pump to tank, does it matter if its bottom or top of tank that the imput pipe goes? Is there a problem if i have the pipes go out 3 then down 5 and over 2 to the base of the bc tank stack?

also could i run the oil from the pump 10-20 blocks and set up a big tank there for multiple oil spouts? have 4 located within 30 blocks/2 chunks of each other.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough. So just stone waterproof pipes from pump to tank, does it matter if its bottom or top of tank that the imput pipe goes? Is there a problem if i have the pipes go out 3 then down 5 and over 2 to the base of the bc tank stack?

also could i run the oil from the pump 10-20 blocks and set up a big tank there for multiple oil spouts? have 4 located within 30 blocks/2 chunks of each other.

You can pump into the stacked tanks from any level but you want to pump out of the stacked tanks from the bottom.
At least that is what I remember from when I used to use them a lot.

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
what about distance, is that a factor? like could i move the oil from pump 1, pump 2, pump 3, pump 4 to a central tank somewhat in the middle of them, so i can set the refinery up there, instead of building multiple refineries each oil node?

Azurren

Jul 29, 2019
You can pump into the stacked tanks from any level but you want to pump out of the stacked tanks from the bottom.
At least that is what I remember from when I used to use them a lot.
That's how they should work :D
However I'm so used to buggy buildcraft I tend to input / output from the lowest tank (Any side, top or bottom). In theory it should work just as Mero says.. In practice.. Yeah ;)

what about distance, is that a factor? like could i move the oil from pump 1, pump 2, pump 3, pump 4 to a central tank somewhat in the middle of them, so i can set the refinery up there, instead of building multiple refineries each oil node?
If it moves across several "chunks" (a chunk is a 16x16 block square) and travels a long way away from where your character hangs around then it maybe wise to look into chunk loading.
But no, distance shouldn't be a problem.
Also what do you mean by multiple pumps? Oil wells are only 1 block wide (They just spurt when they hit the surface) so a single pump is optimal per oil well.

Edit: Re-read your post:
Have some fun with Railcraft to transport oil long distances (Liquid loaders, unloaders and tank carts)
Attach a railcraft world anchor cart to the tank cart to keep it chunk loaded and have a world anchor block at each node.

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
4 oil nodes, wanted to route the oil all to one tank between them.

Once it gets day ill see if i can get it flowing, (one other person on server atm, whos afk)

Railcraft seems rather expensive in terms of ores..

Trying to limit how many different mods i take advantage of, till i can atleast understand the basices without going singleplayer creative. Weve got a big lake filled with hydro generators and a couple windmills running into some batboxes, which power 4 macerators, 5 e-furnaces, 1 extractor, 1 compressor, and 1 canning machine. we have a MFE but havnt done anything with it just yet, its sitting in a barrel.

Azurren

Jul 29, 2019
4 oil nodes, wanted to route the oil all to one tank between them.

Once it gets day ill see if i can get it flowing, (one other person on server atm, whos afk)

Railcraft seems rather expensive in terms of ores..

Trying to limit how many different mods i take advantage of, till i can atleast understand the basices without going singleplayer creative. Weve got a big lake filled with hydro generators and a couple windmills running into some batboxes, which power 4 macerators, 5 e-furnaces, 1 extractor, 1 compressor, and 1 canning machine. we have a MFE but havnt done anything with it just yet, its sitting in a barrel.
I actually completely agree with you. Railcraft is VERY ore intensive. But honestly I'm against piping oil long distances using buildcraft pipes.. Almost as much as I'm against teleport pipes.

If I were you I'd dump a ton of coal in a coke oven and go iron mining.. May take longer (Quite a bit longer) but you'll have something you're really proud of when your finished :)

I love combining railcraft with a simple Steve's Carts engine cart. Having real mine-trains is MUCH BETTER than rollercoasters :mad:
And a lot less OP
My one and only major suggestion for Railcraft would be:
1) Make a new type of track (Or reuse wooden rails) and call it "RollerCoaster Track"
2) Remove all booster tracks and incorporate them solely in "RollerCoaster Track"
3) Add trains.

Sorry a little off topic but I love my little minecraft train systems :)

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
Pump 1 works, filling up the tanks. One tank holds a good amount of oil. Guiess building 2 stacks of them was a tad much at the start.

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
one more question, a coke oven? what is it? aint i better off making diamonds out of the coal i get?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
A Coke Oven will convert Coal you put in it over time to Coke, which burns a lot longer and provides a lot more EU/MJ than Coal. Diamonds are a bit more valuable... to a point. Eventually you'll have yourself a Diamond Drill, a Quarry, and a nice collection of Diamond Pipes and Glass Fibre Cables, and you'll start finding diamonds about as fast if not faster than you use them. Meanwhile, Coke will ALWAYS be useful, and since it takes a stack of Coal to make one Diamond and only one Coal to make one Coke... it's pretty reasonable to use a bit of it for high efficiency fuel instead of stockpiling to make diamonds, especially to speed up Steel production and to provide Creosote Oil for Railcraft purposes.

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
I did build a quarry and all that stuff that goes with it, but thats what this whole oil question came about cuz in all the vids the combu-engins are always run on fuel.. but in the meanwhile we discovered the mining turtles and basically scrapped the quarry idea because they are ALOT cheeper and a charcoal works great for them and were set up at the edge of a redwood area and that woods useless for anything other then char atm.

Can the turtle run off coke? or is that type of fuel incompatable?

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I had a problem with my first oil pump where it suddenly switched from pumping oil to pumping water after the chunk unloaded then reloaded. Was a pain to clean up and get working again.