trying to set up a oil pump

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all for the help here we have a working refinery now - have fuel pumped from the tanks to the engines to keep it powered. There was 68 tanks worth of oil in the ground before it ran out.

Also have a coke oven running on the fir logs, have a chest set up to auto load it, oil goes into another tank-tower and the char-coal gets piped into the base into a chest.

EDIT: i saw a trick about putting a second smaller tower of tanks by it and placing water into one of them so it fills up with the water, incase that happens.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind though that burning wood in a coke-oven only gives you sort-of-useful creosote oil (needed for making tracks). If you want to make charcoal for powering your engines, just burning wood in a furnace is MUCH faster than making charcoal in a coke-oven.

Coke-ovens are meant to turn Coal (not charcoal, doesn't work!) into coke. You need 1 coke for every 1 steel ingot you (might) want to produce. It's good to make atleast one stack of coke for when you want to make steel, because it takes a single coke-oven about 3 minutes to make a single coke.

You might also want to look into a sugarcane farm > fermenter > biomass > still > biofuel setup. You can use biofuel in combustion engines or a steam boiler but unlike normal fuel it won't ever run out. This is my reed farm:
full.png

Provides enough reeds to fill a single fermenter that can keep 3 stills occupied. Those provide a LOT of fuel that my Steam Boiler (generates 72MJ/t, enough to fuel 7 quarries) burns. Or well, they provide a lot more than what I burn.

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
One thing you might want to look into once the FTB pack updates to 1.4.5+.. Thermal Expansion added some Portable Tanks in one of the latest versions (last one maybe? I'm not sure when it got added..). Those can be dismantled and they keep their liquid inside of them.