Trying to choose which 1.6.4 Pack to play, best pack in your opinion? and the differences

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Which FTB 1.6.4 Pack is currently the best in your opinions?

• Total voters

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Toss up between DW20 and MF2. DW20 caters to my traditional mod pack needs (despite missing a few key mods). MF2 is so unique, cool and just fun to play with. I'd rather most modpacks were this hard.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Currently, I'm waiting to get enough money to pay for my computer so I can run my own modpack. In the meantime, I'm having a lot of fun with Magic World 2.

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20, Horizons and Monster just feel so similar. Their differences are almost nitpicky. I wish there was a clearer sense of what makes each pack stand out from the other, because I simply can't tell at first glance. Or second glance for that matter. Obviously Dire's is basically just a tailoring for his LP. Same with the eventual Mindcrack iteration. But pre-1.6, the non-LPer packs felt more distinct to me. Maybe it's just because it's still early on in their development and there are plans to include certain mods to help the packs stand out, but the moment they're just a bit too similar.

MF2 is the most unique; I like how it centers itself around TiC and how focused it is in general. Feels like a slightly more vanilla TerrafirmaCraft - and that's a good thing. I haven't tried Magic World and Tech World, since I'm too indecisive to ever choose just one :p And of course FTBlite is meant for slow computers, so for certain people that's the best pack of all.

That's the closest I can come to ranking them. Maybe once Monster and Horizons are in release mode I'll have a better feeling for which I prefer.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20, Horizons and Monster just feel so similar. Their differences are almost nitpicky. I wish there was a clearer sense of what makes each pack stand out from the other, because I simply can't tell at first glance. Or second glance for that matter. Obviously Dire's is basically just a tailoring for his LP. Same with the eventual Mindcrack iteration. But pre-1.6, the non-LPer packs felt more distinct to me. Maybe it's just because it's still early on in their development and there are plans to include certain mods to help the packs stand out, but the moment they're just a bit too similar.

MF2 is the most unique; I like how it centers itself around TiC and how focused it is in general. Feels like a slightly more vanilla TerrafirmaCraft - and that's a good thing. I haven't tried Magic World and Tech World, since I'm too indecisive to ever choose just one :p And of course FTBlite is meant for slow computers, so for certain people that's the best pack of all.

That's the closest I can come to ranking them. Maybe once Monster and Horizons are in release mode I'll have a better feeling for which I prefer.

To me Monster, DW20 and Horizons each feel too different. I doubt many people would say Horizons having Metallurgy and such and missing IC2 and the Buildcraft family is a nit-picky difference. I personally favour DW20 + ATG. Although the world family feels unique, it's kind of the same thing, just with a different set of mods. You're bang-on about Magic Farm though.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 pack belongs to Direwolf20 and is not up to FTB to choose what goes in or out.

Horizon is a showcase pack. Basically it houses mods that are new or remade and let people have a taste of them.

Monster is kind of like Ultimate or Unleashed where almost everything is thrown in together.

Magic Farm 2, Techworld etc, those are the packs with a certain theme to it. Whereas Monster and the likes are just a gigantic conglomeration of mods, a sandbox if you will, with no limits other than the one you (or the server host) sets.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
direwolf20 then i added
magical crops
atomic science
UE
Mekanism
Jabba
remote IO
Ender IO (this is not used as it apears pointless and unbalanced)
Chisel (why is this not in by default)
carpenter blocks(same as above)
extracells
dragonmounts

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Magic World 2, minus the Farlanders mod. I've been considering trying to put together a pack that mimics the original Magic World (BuildCraft/TE, maybe even without Ars Magicka, I haven't decided if I like it), but for now I'm playing MW2.

DW20 is another one I like... it's a good mix of tech and magic (and it doesn't have Farlanders).

If Farlanders used a better-looking block (a new endstone brick, maybe) for its worldgen buildings, and if the Ender Golems didn't kill EVERYTHING they came across, I'd probably like that mod. It seems interesting, but those golems can depopulate an area FAST. I guess finding stacks of porkchops and feathers on the ground is a good warning that one is in the area...

FtbTooHard

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all your input guys, it has really helped out on which pack to play :) keep on voting for your personal favourite packs to see a more accurate representation of what most people are playing with these days!

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, no option for all of them....

Well what I am playing is pretty much all of the packs plus a few extra mods thrown in. As for mods removed, they were just ones I never use.