Trouble getting Oily Bees

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

h0gtitties

Jul 29, 2019
I am having a hell of a time getting an oily or refined bee species. I have looked up a couple different threads that explain mutations but so far I have either been really unlucky or the mutation no longer exists. So I thought I would ask around and see if anyone knows the correct combinations to get either an oily bee or refined be.

Outdated reference's:
http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Bee_Species
http://extra-bees.wikia.com/wiki/Fossilized_Branch#Oily_Bees

I am using DW20 1.0.14 - Binnie's Mods 1.8.0

If anyone knows the correct combination that would be great. If you have a link to a mutation chart for the current version that could bee really helpful. (pun intended)

Cheers!

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
There's a NEI addon that shows bee breeding 'recipies'. It even shows you the chance of mutation, and is unlikely to be wrong.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind that you might be getting oily & pals as recessives, so look at each and every bee in the bee-scanning device of your choice. also make sure you are trying to mutate bees with max fertility so you get more chances at the mutation.

If troubles persist try the frames that improve mutation chance (soul maybe?) or pony up and build yourself a mutation alviary. I have had to do this on more than one occasion and it works ever so nicely. Best option is a mutator block with uranium fuel I think. Or you can futz with other options or frames. An oblivion frame also helps a lot to cut down on wait times.

Or you could look at gendstry which takes a lot of the fiddly-ness out of bee breading. I am kinda on the fence with it, on the one hand it is really nice to only have to get guaranteed pure mutations out of it and the templates are a godsend to anyone who used binnies stuff a lot. On the other hand it does remove a lot of the requirements for bee breading like biome specific breeding or requiring a base of certain materials which I kinda felt were an integral part of beekeeping. Although I do have to say it was nice to get industrious/imperial and most of the metalic (the ones producing combs/grains) bees done in one night instead of a half week.

h0gtitties

Jul 29, 2019
Hi hiroshi42, I actually do all the above. I analyze every bee before choosing a mate for it. I use oblivion frames, and soul frames to speed up my mutation process. I am working an alviary now just need a little more resources before I can kick that into gear. On the up side I did finally manage to get an oily princess. Whoot! I guess I had been really unlucky or really impatient before. But it's all heading in the right direction as of now. My question above steamed from my concern over the validity of the information presented on the above sites. As it stand now, http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Bee_Species appears to have the correct information.

Bgraywolf

Jul 29, 2019
On the Gendustry front,

I have used it extensively in my single player 1.6 world and the Mutator does seem a bit cheaty but its power costs are HUGE. So far I have only used it for those one off species that force me to run to a random biome to breed. I always mean to create fully functional bases to support the project but usually I just end up hiking over with a few frames and a apiary to get the job done.

As for the templates, I am loving those. Something to keep in mind though, Gendustry won't allow you to capture the species trait until you have a pure bred bee. Often with Extra Bees machines I could end up nabbing the species on the first round of reject drones. In general, capturing any specific trait seems to be a bit harder but is made up for by the fact that it is so easy to apply multiple traits in a single operation once you have them.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I use mostly ExtraBees machines, but will use the Imprinter to streamline ye olde EB Synthesizer-->Purifier-->Inoculator shuffle. There's nothing "hard" about the Synth/Puri/Inoc shuffle when imprinting traits onto bees. It's just tedious after the Nth time.

I draw the line at the Mutraton, though. Something is lost when you remove the biome and block-specific breeding mechanics, not to mention the % mutation mechanics. 2%, for instance, *should* require several attempts.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
For what it's worth, I find that the absolute best bee resource out there is the official wiki. You can find it at the top of the page, but here's a link to their beekeeping info.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind that you might be getting oily & pals as recessives, so look at each and every bee in the bee-scanning device of your choice. also make sure you are trying to mutate bees with max fertility so you get more chances at the mutation.

If troubles persist try the frames that improve mutation chance (soul maybe?) or pony up and build yourself a mutation alviary. I have had to do this on more than one occasion and it works ever so nicely. Best option is a mutator block with uranium fuel I think. Or you can futz with other options or frames. An oblivion frame also helps a lot to cut down on wait times.

Or you could look at gendstry which takes a lot of the fiddly-ness out of bee breading. I am kinda on the fence with it, on the one hand it is really nice to only have to get guaranteed pure mutations out of it and the templates are a godsend to anyone who used binnies stuff a lot. On the other hand it does remove a lot of the requirements for bee breading like biome specific breeding or requiring a base of certain materials which I kinda felt were an integral part of beekeeping. Although I do have to say it was nice to get industrious/imperial and most of the metalic (the ones producing combs/grains) bees done in one night instead of a half week.
+1 to gendustry!
I have breed all of the bees a couple of times throughout my FTB worlds and gendustry makes it so that it is easy to get back my bees instead of wasting my time over and over again.
It does make it not so OP by requiring diamonds and uranium for the mats to copy the traits and lots of power for optimal results. By the time you have the things for easy gendustry you probably already have a quarry world with at least one quarryplus running all the time.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I use mostly ExtraBees machines, but will use the Imprinter to streamline ye olde EB Synthesizer-->Purifier-->Inoculator shuffle. There's nothing "hard" about the Synth/Puri/Inoc shuffle when imprinting traits onto bees. It's just tedious after the Nth time.

I draw the line at the Mutraton, though. Something is lost when you remove the biome and block-specific breeding mechanics, not to mention the % mutation mechanics. 2%, for instance, *should* require several attempts.
Yeah I am with you MigukNamja, I don't really like the gendustry way it seams to easy.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I am with you MigukNamja, I don't really like the gendustry way it seams to easy.
For your first time through breeding bees yeah it is easy. However if all your after is a slightly less laggy power source than pumping lava from another dimension, then gendustry is the way to go especially on servers where the number one goal is less lag especially if quarries are allowed. Like I said by the time you get the mats and power to really take advantage of gendustries OP machines you wont really need anything other than the oil because of quarries which are much faster for mats then bees.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
On the Gendustry front,

I have used it extensively in my single player 1.6 world and the Mutator does seem a bit cheaty but its power costs are HUGE. So far I have only used it for those one off species that force me to run to a random biome to breed. I always mean to create fully functional bases to support the project but usually I just end up hiking over with a few frames and a apiary to get the job done.

As for the templates, I am loving those. Something to keep in mind though, Gendustry won't allow you to capture the species trait until you have a pure bred bee. Often with Extra Bees machines I could end up nabbing the species on the first round of reject drones. In general, capturing any specific trait seems to be a bit harder but is made up for by the fact that it is so easy to apply multiple traits in a single operation once you have them.

Extra Bee machines' power costs are also huge. Gendustry does seem quite a bit easier to automate/use than Extra Bee machines and the barrier for entry into grabbing and inoculating specific traits is a lot lower. That's not really a bad thing. The mutatron and advanced mutatron probably need looking at, as they allow one to bypass certain requirements that should not be bypassed (biome, username, dimension).