Request Tree Farm Help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What type of tree Farm

• EnderIO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forestry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

deansontoast

Jul 29, 2019
I am planning to make a tree farm to supply logs which eventually leads to a railcraft boiler as coal coke.
however my house is in the middle of a roofed forest and my last attempt at an MFR tree farm lead to half my house being chopped down as I built it underground.

what type of tree farm is best, I'm running FTB infinity 1.11.2 so the choices I've heard of are MFR, enderIO and forestry (not into thaumcraft). I've looked everywhere and i cant find anything to make sure that my next attempt at an underground tree farm wont lead to the house and forest being destroyed.

HELP!!

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
In your case MFR is probably the worst choice as it chops trees/wood for the fun of it. But that's the only downside, the offset of a MFR tree farm is the sludge boiler making free useful stuff. Power wise it's quite hungry.

EnderIO will only chop tree connecting to the trees that grow in it's area but has 2 downsides - 1) it constantly burns power (you can regulate this with a timer/state cell combo) 2) it requires axes and uses them up.

Forestry is slow in comparison to both of the above but speed is not everything. It uses very little in the way of power and wont chop down your entire forest. Downside to Forestry is it requires a constant supply of Apatite.

deansontoast

Jul 29, 2019
In your case MFR is probably the worst choice as it chops trees/wood for the fun of it. But that's the only downside, the offset of a MFR tree farm is the sludge boiler making free useful stuff. Power wise it's quite hungry.

EnderIO will only chop tree connecting to the trees that grow in it's area but has 2 downsides - 1) it constantly burns power (you can regulate this with a timer/state cell combo) 2) it requires axes and uses them up.

Forestry is slow in comparison to both of the above but speed is not everything. It uses very little in the way of power and wont chop down your entire forest. Downside to Forestry is it requires a constant supply of Apatite.
Thanks for the info. Would enderIO be the best option then due to it being needed for the boiler?

EDIT: also would like the tree farm to be underground is enderIO still a good choice?

Last edited:

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
If the tree farm is going to be underground, I would suggest going back to MFR. Use the upgrades accordingly with your planter/harvester and allow for the space to be harvested to not connect to any logs in your build. The set up is fairly easy, and can be self powered with a Redstone Furnace and a Steam Dynamo. You will be swimming in logs and charcoal in no time.

I use tin upgrades in my system, so I have a 9x9 area of trees. If I was worried about "overlap" and my harvester eating things I don't want it to, I would allow for a 5-6 block radius around the 9x9 so the "large" trees don't spread and touch anything that may be seen as harvestable by the harvester..

PS: Sludge boiler FTW

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I am planning to make a tree farm to supply logs which eventually leads to a railcraft boiler as coal coke.
however my house is in the middle of a roofed forest and my last attempt at an MFR tree farm lead to half my house being chopped down as I built it underground.

what type of tree farm is best, I'm running FTB infinity 1.11.2 so the choices I've heard of are MFR, enderIO and forestry (not into thaumcraft). I've looked everywhere and i cant find anything to make sure that my next attempt at an underground tree farm wont lead to the house and forest being destroyed.

HELP!!

It could be worse, when I first tried MFR, it had that annoying bug where it would chop any connected wood regardless of distance. So I left my Harvester on, gave it a space to chop some trees, and went to explore a quick cave I had found whilst the Harvester went and did it's work. And they did work, back then, I was exploring this cave nearby that I'd found, and heard chopping noises as I was coming back from a long cave exploration. Hmm, what could that be, I wondered? Sure enough, it was the Harvester chopping trees way outside of it's chopping radius, and I gave up on trying to use MFR for harvesting trees because I didn't want all of the trees in the loaded chunks around my base harvested, just the ones in the farm I'd put up for it to monitor and harvest! :D

I think they've since fixed or nerfed that behavior so that it will now only count trees that are inside of it's harvest radius as valid wood. Your results may vary widely, MFR could well decide that since a tree connected to another tree, it should harvest it. I think it has something to do with how close a tree is to it's harvest radius, if it falls within a certain distance, it might harvest it anyway. My own solution is to simply cut down any nearby trees the harvester might want to harvest before I let it loose, and just let it harvest within a large clearing.

Also, when you first switch on an MFR Harvester, if intending to use it to clear a large amount of world generated trees where you want your tree farm, it's best if you monitor it while it cuts the initial set of trees so that it doesn't go too far, if you let it loose in certain biomes you will wind up with more wood and saplings than you know what to do with! ;)

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Last edited:

dragonmaster0283

Jul 29, 2019
Steve's carts can also be an option. Not to hard to make a cart that can self supply itself with charcoal from the tree cutting and deposit everything else. Only have to fix the cutting bit once in a while and wont chop your house down. Does take up a bit of space though for a decent size farm.

deansontoast

Jul 29, 2019
If the tree farm is going to be underground, I would suggest going back to MFR. Use the upgrades accordingly with your planter/harvester and allow for the space to be harvested to not connect to any logs in your build. The set up is fairly easy, and can be self powered with a Redstone Furnace and a Steam Dynamo. You will be swimming in logs and charcoal in no time.

I use tin upgrades in my system, so I have a 9x9 area of trees. If I was worried about "overlap" and my harvester eating things I don't want it to, I would allow for a 5-6 block radius around the 9x9 so the "large" trees don't spread and touch anything that may be seen as harvestable by the harvester..

PS: Sludge boiler FTW
the only problem i have is that last time even though i had nothing to connect the farm except dirt it still took out my house.
did i do something wrong or could that of been MFR (btw the tree farm was directly below the portion of my house that was taken down

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
One of the trees or leaf blocks may have been touching. Remember, it's not just the logs, but the leaf blocks that the harvester looks at. Also, watch your upgrades, as in, don't put in an upgrade that will be bigger than the area you intend to harvest. I made the mistake of making a lapis one the first time I made a harvester in a jungle biome.... Whelp.. guess I didn't need all those natural trees now did I?