Tree Breeding/Pollen (Forestry Mod) Question?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Deathlark

Jul 29, 2019
So to start, I've been interested in getting into Tree Breeding. I already have a prestigious bee factory/energy producer, but I'm stumped on how to actually get started for Tree Breeding. After a bit of scavenging all I have found is that you have to equip and alveary with a sieve, and then place nearby trees. The bees in the alveary get the trees' pollen and bring it into the sieve where you can harvest it, but my question is what do you do with the pollen you get, and how do you use it for getting new trees?
Thank you if you respond/answer my question. :)

CenturionArcher

Jul 29, 2019
When you have the pollen in your hand and you click on a set of leaves from another tree it changes the leaves to mutated ones, that can become hybrid leaves or a new species. If you want to see which leaves are mutated you need spectacles and to break them you should get a grafter. The alveary sieve will also require a piece of woven silk to collect the pollen, which will be destroyed when you take out any pollen of the sieve. I would recommend waiting until the sieve is full before you grab your pollen. An alternative to the sieve is to just plant a bunch of trees around an apiary/alveary and break the leaves when they change colors.

Deathlark

Jul 29, 2019
When you have the pollen in your hand and you click on a set of leaves from another tree it changes the leaves to mutated ones, that can become hybrid leaves or a new species. If you want to see which leaves are mutated you need spectacles and to break them you should get a grafter. The alveary sieve will also require a piece of woven silk to collect the pollen, which will be destroyed when you take out any pollen of the sieve. I would recommend waiting until the sieve is full before you grab your pollen. An alternative to the sieve is to just plant a bunch of trees around an apiary/alveary and break the leaves when they change colors.
Thank you very much.