Transition to Minecraft

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
Got into minecraft back during the Alpha stage. I'd read a couple of strips on Penny Arcade that talked about it, I was in the middle of a week off work so I figured I'd check it out. Payed the few pounds it was going for at the time and subsequently lost the rest of my holiday. It was the first time I'd been hooked so well since I picked up the original game boy version of Pokemon red (completely on a whim, an impulse buy something like a week after it launched).

From there I somehow found the Yogbox. I don't remember how, but I think it might have been somehow connected to me playing a map called Skylands.
From there I found out about Technic, and searching YouTube for info on specific mods led me to DW20 (all hail the master of the 9x9). About the time the whole Forestry issue hit I became disillusioned with the technic/tekkit community (not because of the altercation itself, but because of the endless reaction cycle threads that ensued). So I started putting my own packs together. Moved to MultiMC when DW20 started an SSP LP using it, still with it out of interface preference.
Found the FTB maps through his channel, followed them and so found my way here.

That's my tale of woe. Haven't sold my soul to MC, but only because I traded it away a very long time ago. I'm an eclectic gamer, mostly rpg genre across many platforms whenever I can spare the time. MC stil gets most of it.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Good question actually.

I started getting into Minecraft classic some years ago. It was a small thing, so shortly after i started playing other games. Then I went to this LAN party. At that party someone showed me cracked Minecraft. I really liked the new aspects in survival, but everything started to get boring in singleplayer. I bought the game and I was able to play on servers. I got into modding before I even was able to install the mods or had bought the game. When i then got the game I decided to install IC2 and Buildcraft and make a small server with it. I was really excited about the mods. I started playing the Technic packs, and because i was completely new to Forestry at that point I watched a mod spotlight on it. The person that made the mod spotlight had an awesome let's play and I subscribed to Direwolf20. I then figured out how illegal Technic was and then I stopped using it, instead i installed mods myself using MultiMC. One day Slowpoke was streaming his "Map builder challenge", where you could join the server and show your creativity by building and completing technical challenges. At that time Slowpoke officially announced that he would make a modpack. Shortly after the forums were up and I was one of the first 250 people on the forums. At that time we had a very bad layout and we were small. We had one open server and we had no launcher or modpack (except for the retro packs). I was at that point very active on the forums, and i am still very active at this date.

I think that's all.

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Well that's a long and arduous tale. It begins on a particularly cold night on the edge of the Arctic Ocean many years ago. We had already lost two of our colleagues on the long trek north through Greenland, frost bite was setting in, Jenkins was still bleeding from our close-encounter with an angry male Polar bear. It had been over a week since we had last seen other people, a small tribe of Inuits. The growing storm was causing interference on our satellite communications. What had begun as a promising adventure to reach the North Pole was rapidly becoming a fight for survival.

As hypothermia begins to set in your body begins to burn as if sat in a desert wearing 5 layers of clothing, and your mind begins to play tricks, you begin to distrust your colleagues and see plots that are not there. In this moment of panic and delusion I powered my laptop up, using the last of the devices power reserves cobbled with our ever weakening signal, I navigated to Google and searched "Snow Survival Map", and the rest so-they-say is history...

Or the less epic tale, I walked into my brother's bedroom a few years ago and saw him playing this odd little game made with blocks and decided to download it myself and play.

Reactions: CreeperLover101

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
I actual got the game because I was having my wisdom teeth taken out,
A friend had showen it to me before then and I really didn't care for it, until I had a chance to play it.
Using my friends account I got trapped in a house and broke out (if it was yours Im sorry, I had no idea what I was doing)

on Saturday I ordered the game, wednesday this comic went up http://xkcd.com/861/ then on friday I got my wisdom teeth taken out :)

I was interested in modding from the time I found out it existed, But something just felt wrong about tekkit so we tryed making our own small pack
but with the inability of my friends to install mods we didn't play with any until FTB released the launcher

I dont remember how I found direwolf but he is how I found this place

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
I got into Minecraft back into 1.8 I think (I remember my friend complaining about the new hunger system), and after reading something about how it was a hard game (which turned out to not really be true) I bought it. From there I got bored with Survival and the lack of variety pretty quickly (1. Punch trees 2. Build house 3. Mine for iron 4. Mine for diamonds 5. Find diamonds 6. ?????), so I went through various phases of Minecraft. First, I got into redstoning, and I would spend hours designing redstone traps, second, I found adventure maps, especially the Vechs ones of which I liked the most because of the actual challenge presented, then when I finally got bored with all that, I decided to give PVP a try, and dang did that bring me back into Minecraft. I had read somewhere about 8 months ago about IndustrialCraft being a really good "mod" (whatever that was) so I googled "war server IndustrialCraft" which brought me to Industrial War (which remains, to this day, my favorite PVP server). From there I couldn't stop screwing around with mods like IndustrialCraft and RedPower (and yes, occasionally EE2, it was pretty good if you ignored the Energy Condensers like I tried to do), but then Industrial War shut down(it's coming back tomorrow however, so yay), and another, more hardcore oriented, PVP server called EXPHC (currently offline) brought me to the world of utterly stuffing your mods folder with so many mods you wonder how it even still works, through its modpack. All of that eventually led me to the FTB map, and that finally led me to here a few months later, so yeah, that's my complete history of Minecraft.
TL;DR: Found Minecraft, got bored, found maps, got slightly bored, found mods, found FTB.

I do occasionally do other things like TF2 from time to time, but, as that massive wall of text states up there, Minecraft is pretty much my main game.

Cormick

Jul 29, 2019
I got into Minecraft around Beta 1.6. Before then, I was addicted to a game called Runescape. Minecraft kinda took me away from that game, which I'm happy about since Runescape has gone to crap.

Bihlbo

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking for games where the main challenge is survival. I had played Stranded 2 and loved it despite it being very clunky and having horrible graphics. I was looking for a successor to it and someone suggested Minecraft. I thought MC was kinda fun, but only better than Stranded 2 in that the world was bigger. When I discovered mods, and later modpacks like this one, is when MC became seriously fun.

I'm still looking for the spiritual successor to Stranded 2.

jatie1

Jul 29, 2019
I LOVE freeplay games (no missions) and survival games, which is why, when my friend showed me Minecraft, I was hooked. I used to play my PS2 (yes, I loved it even though the PS3 was out) before MC. Then, I found mods, then Tekkit, then where I am right now.
I'm still looking for the spiritual successor to Stranded 2.
Don't Starve is an amazing survival game with very smart cartoony graphics, a massive world, hunger, health and sanity meters, and a very large variety of items, foods, mobs, and, best of all, adventure. I highly recommend it as I have bought it on Steam and it is AWESOME. I am waiting on a new computer as my current one is crashing with FTB (long story, please don't assume that this is BS because I can play Don't Starve and not FTB) and while I get the issues with Acer sorted I have been playing Don't Starve. It has really great replayability, too.

hobohorror

Jul 29, 2019
I got into minecraft through boredom and since then i have "nether" been bored again. Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, is it just me bout I feel like vanilla is more modded than the modded vanilla

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway, is it just me bout I feel like vanilla is more modded than the modded vanilla
its just you

anyways Before i was playing minecraft i played Halo and Skyrim. Ive recently got back into skyrim though after forgetting my avatar for a bit :D

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Got into it while I was playing Twilight Princess and Plants vs. Zombies. My current gaming obsessions are MC (FTB specifically,) TLoZ, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, and PvZ. So, basically, it's not my only game.

noppy_dev

Jul 29, 2019
I was introduced to Minecraft by one of my friends. He got onto my computer and played Minecraft on it and let me create my own world. I remember how amazed I was, and how n00by I was at the beginning :3
The game that I was really into before Minecraft was Spore. I still play it, and I think it is a truly great game. I would in fact still recommend it if there are people out there who really like creating things.
Eventually another friend introduced me to Tekkit and Planet Minecraft. I was really into Tekkit and Skinning, but eventually I fell away from both of them. I never really understood what Feed the Beast was.
By the time I really understood Feed the Beast I ran a tiny server just for me and my friend, and we would skype and play on it. Finally, just a couple days ago, I ordered my Feed the Beast server.[DOUBLEPOST=1367315505][/DOUBLEPOST]
its just you

anyways Before i was playing minecraft i played Halo and Skyrim. Ive recently got back into skyrim though after forgetting my avatar for a bit :D

I actually sort of agree with hobohorror :)3) It was just recently when I was really disappointed that my hamachi FTB server didn't work. Then I got onto my old vanilla server and went to a jungle biome.

I have realized that minecraft can be so awesome even without mods if you do the more advanced things in it, like creating potions and doing crazy redstone contraptions.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
I think I've always enjoyed grind-y games such as WoW, Monster Hunter or Animal Crossing. Games where your almost given chores to do and then free to do whatever you want. I bought Vanilla minecraft fairly late, about 2 years ago or something. Never really played it until I found out about technic. Ended up watching a lot of lets plays of it including Gar and VGToolbox, and I found FtB from them

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
well i got into minecraft when I was looking at battlefield 4 and black ops videos I came across seananners vids which were pretty awesome. I decided to see what other videos and games he played. I happened I stumbled upon his minecraft videos followed the link to his site and saw it cost money. I wasn't sure if it was worth it but I tried the creative free beta. that lasted about 10 minutes and well himed and hawed about it for a few days till I actually bought it so I could play with all the neat things. I think it was about a week or two before 1.8 came out. Started looking for other videos on minecraft and stumbled upon dratnos and direwolf20. They of course got me into modded minecraft and once tekkit and FTB made modpack launchers I have been hooked on modded minecraft ever since. I have always had trouble adding mods to minecraft even with dire's tutorial vids so that made me like modded minecraft even better. I still play other games but I always enjoy minecraft because I have always enjoyed sandbox games.

Dradym

Jul 29, 2019
i was playing some dwarf fortress, and eventually tried minecraft...hooked since. some other games i play: star trek online, rift, and some new indie games i saw on youtube

JimBrydson

Jul 29, 2019
Like the guy above, Dwarf Fortress brought me to Minecraft via the zany youtube let's plays of garthrs. I never even tried vanilla!

aaninja64

Jul 29, 2019
Note: digging a hole to stay safe from monsters? Man, was I stupid to follow such ideas from Simon 'n' Lewis.

That is my favorite early game strategy when it's the first night and I don't have a house built yet. Usually it works.

Anyway, I got started when, at school, we had some free time in a computer lab, and I saw some of my friends playing it. One of them let me log in on his account, and a few days later, I bought the game. I played vanilla for a while, and what got me started on modded was seeing a random episode of Lewis & Simon's Tekkit series, and what really caught my eye was the EE2 Condenser. I ended up hearing about FTB on another Yogscast video (Duncan), where some people were arguing about Tekkit vs. FTB in the comment section, and I ended up watching an episode of Etho's FTB series, and decided to check it out. Here I am, a few months later.

sir_schwick

Jul 29, 2019
Dwarf Fortress. I played something in the low 1.0.0s and then really got back into it 1.2.5. Found FTB from a Direwolf skyblock series.