Transition to Minecraft

Swaffer

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just wondering what other games people used to play and how they came to Minecraft.

How does MC compare to other games when it's so unparalled and unique.

How many people consider MC or Modded MC their main game, or do they still have large commitments to other games?

For me it was a slow coalescence into a full time minecrafter. I played Wow for a year and Quakelive heavily for two, as well as offline singleplayer and indie games; and I still.consider myself a 'gamer' but Minecraft (especially.with mods) is so rich and diverse and also different. I really don't find much time for playing other stuff.

The way it's different from a frenetic game like an fps or even rts (forgot to mention I played a bit of wc3) is MC is so chillaxing. Something which as I get older and more tired from the working week I appreciate. Also the social aspect of building together is unrivalled.

So let's hear it. Be interested to hear both young and old gamers stories in this regard.

Ys
Swaffer

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
I got into Minecraft way back when it was new. I think just after smelting sand in furnaces to get glass was added (changed from dropping sand in lava). It was pretty much just a bunch of us hanging out on a Classic (then called Creative) server and building underground bases and giant penises and stuff. 'Twas a good time. Spleef happened a lot, too. I played that for awhile, then was like "You know what, this is awesome. I can spare $7.50~ish." (Minecraft was 5 Euro at the time). So I bought the game, it was completely different than creative, but I enjoyed it anyway.

I played vanilla until about 8 months ago when my friend showed me Tekkit. I didn't know anything about it at the time, so we played that on a private LAN server (through Hamachi) for awhile.

Then, one day, while doing YouTube videos for cool Tekkit builds, I came across a Direwolf video (I think season 3 sometime), and the rest is pretty much history. Stopped using Tekkit, installed them all manually, found Direwolf's FTB vid with Nearby, and here I am :D

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

SunVenus

Jul 29, 2019
I got into Minecraft around 1.4 or 1.5-- a while back. Found mods pretty quickly after that and began my odyssey into learning how to install & configure and such. Before Minecraft? I've played WoW since 2007, and before that was a HUGE fan of NWN1, Baldur's Gate & things like that. But Minecraft stole my heart in terms of freedom & creativity, stuff you can't do in most other games. I do play other games, but of my gaming time Minecraft takes up about 90% of that. As for avanilla Minecraft? I would play it if there were no mods available but overall I prefer the game modded.

Reactions: Swaffer

Swaffer

Jul 29, 2019
I think it was 1.6 when I started playing, then 1.7.3 for a long time.

I remember watching Direwolf's original series, I think it was his first series. That's what got me into mods; and yes, I prefer the game modded now by far.

Gewitters

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing all sorts of different games for many years and it would take up too much time to list them all so i will list the main ones (not that you really care). AD&D was my primary game for close to 2 decades, then I was heavy into RTS's and the Diablo series. WoW was my primary game from Vanilla WoW until about 3 months ago. I was told by many that I should like MC and therefore should try it out. I resisted for a long time and only started playing back in June of this year. I played a survival world for about a week, and then started looking for mods. I do have fun running around on creative vanilla servers and creating some very large and detailed builds. The challenges that come with trying to get the details of a build out of squares is fun(although, Redpower micro blocks makes this so much easier :)) . However, I would say that 90% of my MC time is playing modded worlds.

The major difference in MC from most of the other computer games that I have played is the true creative nature of it. You can build whatever you want, wherever you want. There are some limitations, but not many once you start modding. As I tell others, every time I add a new mod, it feels like I got a new game and I'm hooked again. Add in the FTB group and not only do you have a new game (with the maps and such) but you have a community that comes along with it. Good stuff.

D

Deleted member 188

I got into Minecraft when I saw there was a way to be a pony in it with the mine little pony mod. Also how I found the Yogscast.

Before that I played tons of other games, still do in fact. Most games in real life. Card games, board games, RPGs, Miniatures, etc.

Fizzgigg

Jul 29, 2019
I started playing at 1.2 beta. I had seen some videos from paintballers (I was into paintball at the time) and found out what it was. From there I played completely SP until 1.5 when I joined a server which I am still a part of now!

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
phee got into minecraf about 2 years ago. Got my account from 10 ocktober 2010 and i already played singleplayer before that.

Lets say it was a perfect time killer in class :p

Swaffer

Jul 29, 2019
hi fizzgigg

just want to say I love The Dark Crystal

fantastic film, I was brought up on it. apparently my parents first date was to see it at the cinema.

"when single shines the triple sun, what was sundered and undone shall be whole; the two made one."

:)

Cheeseless

Jul 29, 2019
I got Minecraft in its second last Alpha version, and started playing with mods as soon as i saw the BC and IC ones. I have never played on unmodded MC again, and basically anything that direwolf20 shows off, or gets added to tekkit, or i just become aware of in any way usually gets added to my "little" mods folder, which is about to reach critical mass for my PC.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I got in during late Alpha. Can't remember what really got me going. Just remember watching all the different tutorials and lets plays on it and thinking awesome , I must buy this. I knew about it for a long time though. I remember the first time I looked at the site for it was during the First Halloween update when the Nether was released. Just kept looking it up to see how it was coming along.

What keeps me coming back is the truly open sandbox playstyle. I may not be very good at playing this way , but it is still very fun for me though. (my houses look like boxes ( I make works of art on accident not on purpose , even though I try sometimes))

Karzack

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not really sure what drew my attention to it. Probably a reddit post or something.

I watched some let's plays in alpha and snagged it on that free weekend many moons ago. When it came into beta, and we could use beds to sleep through the night, I had to buy it. I wanted to buy it anyway, but being able to update and sleep through the night, I wasn't able to put off buying it any longer.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
I was first dragged into minecraft after I tried the PE trial on my android. I was hooked when I tried the full game on my desktop. Played SSP for a week, then minecraft vanilla servers for a month, then minecraftpvp hunger games, then technic, tekkit, and now FTB!

Originally, I mainly played cRPG games such as Baldur's Gate series and Fallout series for years (retired staff member from sorcerers.net, for you hardcore BGers!), along with some great SW:KOTOR. I also was a looooooong time player on Call of Duty mp (the first one!) and tried other FPS games (like L4D, CS, etc..) and RTS (C&C games pwn, specially Red Alert series). But I found everything I wanted in a game when I started playing minecraft (with mods of course). Although I do admit to dwelling in the dark pleasures of cRPGs every now and then, can't beat those tempting GOG specials!

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
I've heard on and off about MC in the interwebz. Wasn't interested back then. I swam in open world rpgs like Oblivion and Mount & Blade, Divinity 2:Ego Draconis and Two Worlds 2.
It was much later, when 1.7.3 of MC was out, I thought I should check what the fuss was about. I think it was due to a Yogscast video, Survival Island, where I took notice and got the game.
Note: digging a hole to stay safe from monsters? Man, was I stupid to follow such ideas from Simon 'n' Lewis.

But the game grew on me and I started to like it.... but something was missing.

Then it happened, the spicey sugary minty topping that minecraft sorely needed: mods!
More specific: modpacks!
I sucked at understanding how to install and make shit work, the general public was not too late to help: "LOL den dont instal MODS u 12 yr whiney nerd! Go home 2 ur momey!" - McForums, take a bow :D

Yogscast showed a video of a modpack with all the coolest mods in the market. And I wasn't late to get it and gourge myself into it like a heroine addict. (not really into drugs, though)
Now I'm here, waiting to see what new chocolatey minty after-eighty tasteliciousy Slowpoke has to offer.

Daxamar

Nov 21, 2012
My son got it around 1.6 beta. I saw him play and then I was hooked. I started looking into texture packs and found Yogcast, and used YogBox for a very long time. I take breaks as other games come out, but laways come back to MC.

What do I love about it the most? The mods! I love mods that make me make MC what I want it to be. Im hoping to play MC for a very long time. Cant wait for Thaum 3, and now Im also waiting on Magecraft.

CreeperLover101

Jul 29, 2019
I got into minecraft from Paulsoaresjr. The very first house I made was a cobblestone and wood plank house :3. Started in beta 1.7.3, and played until 1.2.5 but then i got bored and MW3 became my game. I got back into minecraft early November and I'm a huge fan of DW20 :3
I used to play CoD all of the time, and I really can say I was addicted. Thanks notch for ending an addiction!.... But screw you for starting one too... :mad: