Too much coal

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Sonicyoda13

Jul 29, 2019
I have 180 stacks of coal and I don't know what to use it for, any suggestions on what to do with it are appreciated

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Make a crap ton of high pressure steam boilers (about 4) and store ENORMOUS amounts of steam in tanks for emergency usage.

Tons of generators will also work.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
....did i hear anyone say......DIAMONDS!!!!!!!

I was actually trying to remember WHY large amounts of coal were useful. I'd forgotten about industrial diamonds.

Thanks.

And yeah, do that. If I'm not mistaken I think a stack of coal equals one diamond. I'll have to see if that's right.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
It is. Macerate a stack, and surround eight bits of flint with it in the crafting table. Compress the result then put it back in the crafting table with a bit of obsidian in the middle. Compress again and you have an industrial diamond, which can be crafted directly into a regular diamond with no other components needed.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Where's the angry person with the suggestion NEI!!!

I almost always get into one of these threads and at least one person angrily says that. :)

(I'm not angry though, I'm a happy little loveable fuzzball)

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Where's the angry person with the suggestion NEI!!!

I almost always get into one of these threads and at least one person angrily says that. :)

(I'm not angry though, I'm a happy little loveable fuzzball)
that's usually me, sans the anger. I just thought a dig at Thatcher was worth it more than telling the OP to hit U

Reactions: Fuzzlewhumper

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I spend all my coal on windmills. Many think that they are useless power generation, however loom up SpawnXs windmill engineering, and you will see how they are actually the most powerful green gen, by far. It takes a LOT of coal to set these up with GregTech. I set up a either skeleton Soul shard For this one purpose, to build more windmills.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I spend all my coal on windmills. Many think that they are useless power generation, however loom up SpawnXs windmill engineering, and you will see how they are actually the most powerful green gen, by far. It takes a LOT of coal to set these up with GregTech. I set up a either skeleton Soul shard For this one purpose, to build more windmills.
Yea probably per UUM but not per cubic meter USPs beat even Fusion Reactors at compaction of eu per block.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Well, USPs don't happen to be made with 180 stacks of coal, but with tons of raw uu, and iridium plates, meaning that if one is trying to make the iridium from uu, it wi not repay itself for a long time.
Also windtowers make your house look like its attached to balloons. Which is always a good thing.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
HOLY SHIT I just realised...

OP, it's "Too much coal" not "To much coal"
I refuse to help any further until this is rectified!

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
yea but they'll break if they're generating more than 5 eu/t. Don't wanna have to goes up to a tower now and then to replace them and having power failures cause of mills breaking into generators.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
yea but they'll break if they're generating more than 5 eu/t. Don't wanna have to goes up to a tower now and then to replace them and having power failures cause of mills breaking into generators.

That's why people have looked up the code and figured out the optimal distribution of windmills over a target Y level zone that produces optimal output for every windmill. That's what natnif36 meant by SpawnX's windmill engineering. Guy made a thread over on the IC2 forums where he goes over his findings... Not particularly interested in windmills either way, but eh.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to spend a lot of time reading posts by people who's native language is not English. When they make mistakes, I think to myself "Can I write their language "? No then why do I expect them to speak mine.
Particularly in a game made in Sweden, and with most Mod developers being German (Greg, player) Brasilian (I heard RichardG was actually Brasilian o.o) etc.
Why do we always expect English?
If however the OP does have English as his first language, he is either dull, was in a hurry, or on mobile - re-reading posts on Mobile can be hard due to the text box jumping all over the place.

And the purpose of the windmills towers is that the designer(s) of the towers examined the windmill code, and the specific y-level and obstruction amount is done to ensure that non break, even with full wind during a storm. So via this, they end up producing around 100 eu/t per stack, or "tower"

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to spend a lot of time reading posts by people who's native language is not English. When they make mistakes, I think to myself "Can I write their language "? No then why do I expect them to speak mine.
Particularly in a game made in Sweden, and with most Mod developers being German (Greg, player) Brasilian (I heard RichardG was actually Brasilian o.o) etc.
Why do we always expect English?
If however the OP does have English as his first language, he is either dull, was in a hurry, or on mobile - re-reading posts on Mobile can be hard due to the text box jumping all over the place.
Because English has become the language of the world (in all it's forms)
Quick slightly stalkery question, what county in Ireland do you live?