To void or not to void?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I've reached the inevitable crossroads that I run into in any modpack where I begin to amass more resources than I could ever possibly use, at least realistically.

But, like many Minecrafters, I suffer from extreme hoarding syndrome. And the problem is, I just can't ever shake the feeling that at some point I'm going to figure out something to do with 240,000 purple slate blocks, or whatever, and with the presence of things like the RF Tools builder, hell, maybe I will!

At what point do you say enough is enough and start voiding things out instead upgrading storage? Anyone ever regret it?

While I'm avoiding it still at this point, I'm getting close to letting some stuff go. Even a single quantum quarry is capping out my storage every other day, and I'm adding another 10 64k blocks each time that happens, as well as condensing what I can. I just want to make sure I don't regret it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That's a good idea. I think I have quantum storage. That would actually be perfect for the big blocks, and I can move the ingots to compacting drawers, too, just too keep that part automatic.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
In most cases I use Storage Drawers to curb my hording. 4 emerald upgrades and a void.
The only time I go over that is if Avarita(sp) is in the pack due to needing thousands of certain resources to make the fidget spinners to then craft Infinity essence.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OK, this is good. I was worried that this would get flooded with people saying "just void it" and that was gonna bum me out.

Minecraft Hoarders unite! lol

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If you have Industrial Foregoing, you have not only Black Hole Unit, but you have a Black Hole Controller which can contain nine such devices. You also have a Black Hole Tank in case you have the need to store vast quantities of liquid.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
A horde of hoarders?
I wonder how high a concentration of hoarders would have to be for them to collapse into a black hole.

Actually, wouldn't a mod that checks for high concentrations of items in containers at certain locations and collapses certain areas in the Minecraft world to miniature black holes if the concentration is too high, be awesome? XD?

Would need to be highly compatible with other mods and highly configurable, of course. :)

Maybe this is a signature, maybe it is not. Who knows?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
For what it's worth, I've decided that if it isn't worth storing, it isn't worth collecting. At some point, you just reach a critical mass where resources are no longer a gating factor. At that point, I try to cull my intake, while trying to find creative uses for whatever overflow I still have.

For instance, automated mining is a priority for most people, and they're not wrong to want it, or even rush to get it. However, as the gate goes away, it's time to think about smarter ways to accomplish the task. Moving from a Quantum Quarry to an Actually Additions Lens of the Miner cuts back on the amount of blocks to store, while keeping the influx of ores trickling in.

Using overflow crops and mob drops in convoluted power generation setups is a productive use of otherwise voidable stuffs and an engineering challenge. That's two wins in my book.

As in the real world, reduce, reuse, and recycle.

Of course, if you're going to hoard, go big. I want to see entire villages made out of filled Storage Drawers. I want to see entire dimensions stuffed into your house, prominently on display for other hoarders to drool over and challenge against.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Of course, if you're going to hoard, go big. I want to see entire villages made out of filled Storage Drawers. I want to see entire dimensions stuffed into your house, prominently on display for other hoarders to drool over and challenge against.

I want to see you nest Compact Machines in Compact Machines in Dimensional Doors Pocket Dimensions.

Reactions: Nuclear_Creeper0

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
For instance, automated mining is a priority for most people, and they're not wrong to want it, or even rush to get it. However, as the gate goes away, it's time to think about smarter ways to accomplish the task. Moving from a Quantum Quarry to an Actually Additions Lens of the Miner cuts back on the amount of blocks to store, while keeping the influx of ores trickling in.
Quarries, nah man. RF Tools Dimensions is my city. Who needs all that RNG of world gen. A flat world of diamond blocks is truly the goal.

Reactions: Robijnvogel

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries, nah man. RF Tools Dimensions is my city. Who needs all that RNG of world gen. A flat world of diamond blocks is truly the goal.

Once you've passed the resource and power gates, custom dimensions really are the answer. My PC doesn't handle dimension hopping very well (or much of anything else, these days), so I try to stay in the Overworld as much as I can.

I liked having a flat Mushroom Island dimension with tendrils of every conceivable ore, spheres of Redstone and Glowstone blocks, and obsidian obelisks. Made for nice one stop shopping when I was running low on things. I considered making the tendrils of the metals themselves, but too many ores had useful byproducts to overlook, and my processing chain was already automated.