Tinkers Construct smeltery questions.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, can't really disagree with you there, Twisto.

On my latest server a smeltery was my first ore-processing up and running and I used it long and well.

However, once I had an ME network it became a relic of the past beyond creation of aluminium and manyuellyn.

I make all other metal ingots on an as-needed basis; there are currently over 32,000 blocks of iron ore banked and processing it in a smeltery would be ludicrous, incredibly time-consuming and twice as tedious as I would be pouring over 7,000 iron blocks by hand.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
It is so easy to automate the smeltery. I ran a line of rednet cable above the faucets. I used the redstone clock block that is in unleashed for a timer. I used a vanilla hopper under each casting table/basin. I pointed the hopper all the same way and they feed each other down each side to a chest. So with 10 hoppers, and 3 chests, you can have a very simple automated smeltery. Use the 10th hopper to feed in your ores. You can get stacks of ingots, blocks, or glass in no time at all. I turned about 6 stacks of aluminum ore into ingots in just a few minutes. Just load the feed hopper and let it roll while you do something else

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If you build the smeltery too big when you open the GUI it crashes you and the server (unless it's been fixed recently).

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
It is so easy to automate the smeltery. I ran a line of rednet cable above the faucets. I used the redstone clock block that is in unleashed for a timer. I used a vanilla hopper under each casting table/basin. I pointed the hopper all the same way and they feed each other down each side to a chest. So with 10 hoppers, and 3 chests, you can have a very simple automated smeltery. Use the 10th hopper to feed in your ores. You can get stacks of ingots, blocks, or glass in no time at all. I turned about 6 stacks of aluminum ore into ingots in just a few minutes. Just load the feed hopper and let it roll while you do something else

Not only is it easy, it is even easier than what you've done. You don't need rednet cable, you don't need the redstone clock. Liquiduct from valve(s) to casting table/basins. It automatically pours, no clock needed.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I made mine like 90 blocks tall and it didn't lag/crash, maybe its fixed. I'm gonna go make one that goes from y 60 to y 256

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Since this is questions related to TiC smeltery maybe i could ask too :p

What is the best height of TiC smeltery? The efficient one. I have it 15 tall and it can smelt 1 stack i believe? Is it the best height? Since you can't add more slot for smelting right. I think maxed out at 64 slots

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 4

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
You can have more than 64 slots, however I do not think that it will smelt more than one stack at a time, after the first stack is done it will continue on to the next, I built mine from y 60 to y 255, no lag or crashes.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
I use a turtle facing the basin with a block os stone over it. It keeps trying to pull from the basin. When it succeeds, it flashes redstone on top and starts over. The redstone signal passes through the stone and starts the pouring over again. Visually, it looks like the next block is pouring before the old one is even pulled out, it's so fast.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
I use a turtle facing the basin with a block os stone over it. It keeps trying to pull from the basin. When it succeeds, it flashes redstone on top and starts over. The redstone signal passes through the stone and starts the pouring over again. Visually, it looks like the next block is pouring before the old one is even pulled out, it's so fast.

and quite messy looking tho my same thing goes, computercraft is nice but there's so many more creative and rewarding ways of making these smelteries work.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
You can have more than 64 slots, however I do not think that it will smelt more than one stack at a time, after the first stack is done it will continue on to the next, I built mine from y 60 to y 255, no lag or crashes.

I smelt two stacks at a time on a regular basis (well, technically two stacks minus two) with no issues. They all smelt at once.

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
Can I ask some really dumb questions here?

I'm trying to document for my server (SMP, FTB/MagicFarm) a bootstrap document for new players. To get from nothing to iron pick axe via TConstruct.

Along the way I find that I need to make a Smeltery.

I built it according to some of the simple guides I found online, but I'm not sure what to do next.

Below (attached) are two pictures. What is the next step to use the Smeltery to produce what I need to fabricate a copper (or another ore that can be yielded from a flint tool) pick axe head?

smeltry1.png

smeltry2.png

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Can I ask some really dumb questions here?

I'm trying to document for my server (SMP, FTB/MagicFarm) a bootstrap document for new players. To get from nothing to iron pick axe via TConstruct.

Along the way I find that I need to make a Smeltery.

I built it according to some of the simple guides I found online, but I'm not sure what to do next.

Below (attached) are two pictures. What is the next step to use the Smeltery to produce what I need to fabricate a copper (or another ore that can be yielded from a flint tool) pick axe head?
//snipped pictures//

you need to make aluminum brass for casts.
use the black book you got from making the bricks. the recipe is there. each ingot worth of aluminum brass is enough for a single cast. i recomend making a pickaxe head and ingot cast first.
the casts are made by putting one (stone or wood for cheapness sake) pickaxe head in the casting table, then pouring either gold (not at first, since you need iron or better for that) or aluminum brass over it.
getting the ingot cast is about the same method, except you put an ingot or seared brick on the table before pouring instead.

If you are playing unleashed, make steel by combining an iron ingot with 4 coal for some extra oomph on your first metal pick

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you're playing unleashed, you can make a tool rod cast, then plug it into the stencil table again and it'll make an ingot cast, unless you manually updated. If so, you can ensure you'll get at least one block out, and then use a casting basin. That'll take nine ingots to make a block which can then be vanilla uncrafted into ingots, which can be used to make the ingot cast, by right clicking them into the table.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

Right now my one takes 2 1/2 stacks without issue- it doesn't run any slower and the lava/heat is divided equally over the blocks, cooking the whole lot at once. (just keep an eye on that lava level) - The bigger they are- the longer they take to drain out, so the most efficient design would be when the smelt time equals the drain time.

My main problem is the igneous extruder doesn't properly feed into the smeltery controller, it'll load one cobble in- and the rest simply vanish.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Right now my one takes 2 1/2 stacks without issue- it doesn't run any slower and the lava/heat is divided equally over the blocks, cooking the whole lot at once. (just keep an eye on that lava level) - The bigger they are- the longer they take to drain out, so the most efficient design would be when the smelt time equals the drain time.

My main problem is the igneous extruder doesn't properly feed into the smeltery controller, it'll load one cobble in- and the rest simply vanish.

you fix that by putting a vanilla hopper between the extruder and controller.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
If you are storing your liquid metals in tanks, you can pipe them directly to your casting tables/basins from there. You'd only have to put it back in the smeltery to make alloys. Both the seared glass & seared window blocks were acting like the BuildCraft3 tanks last time I checked, even when they were part of the smeltery wall. I assume this is a bug but it could make for an interesting & compact build if you want to keep a supply of each metal in liquid form.

EDIT: the wiki does say the glass blocks can hold liquids, so not a bug, just an unexpected feature.

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
you need to make aluminum brass for casts.
use the black book you got from making the bricks. the recipe is there. each ingot worth of aluminum brass is enough for a single cast. i recomend making a pickaxe head and ingot cast first.
the casts are made by putting one (stone or wood for cheapness sake) pickaxe head in the casting table, then pouring either gold (not at first, since you need iron or better for that) or aluminum brass over it.
getting the ingot cast is about the same method, except you put an ingot or seared brick on the table before pouring instead.

If you are playing unleashed, make steel by combining an iron ingot with 4 coal for some extra oomph on your first metal pick

Alright, I see the process now. Thanks. I appreciate it.

I was able to start from dirt to Iron Pick Axe via Smeltery.

One hitch -- the bucket. I couldn't figure out how to get the Bucket of lava to fill the Lava Tank (Seared Tank) for the Smeltery.

(Had to crib that one and use GM-1 for the bucket only, but I knew in order to finish the chain of crafting document, I needed to come back to this issue.)

So... What is the chain of crafting to get the Lava into the tank? Buckets need Iron, iron needs all the preceeding Bronze, Copper, Aluminum-Bronze. Catch-22?

In short, how does one move Lava into the Smeltery tank w/o Iron to make the bucket?

(This is all FTB/MagicFarm) TConstruct w/IguanaTweeks.

RadioactiveSand

Jul 29, 2019
Step 1. Put 3 iron ore blocks (or dust, if you have some sort of ore doubling device, like the AE grinder) and 2 wood blocks in a vanilla furnace.
Step 2. Use 3 iron ingots from the furnace to make a bucket.
Step 3. Find and fill bucket with lava.
Step 4. Click on smeltery tank with filled bucket.
Step 5. ????
Step 6. Profit!

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I see the process now. Thanks. I appreciate it.

I was able to start from dirt to Iron Pick Axe via Smeltery.

One hitch -- the bucket. I couldn't figure out how to get the Bucket of lava to fill the Lava Tank (Seared Tank) for the Smeltery.

(Had to crib that one and use GM-1 for the bucket only, but I knew in order to finish the chain of crafting document, I needed to come back to this issue.)

So... What is the chain of crafting to get the Lava into the tank? Buckets need Iron, iron needs all the preceeding Bronze, Copper, Aluminum-Bronze. Catch-22?

In short, how does one move Lava into the Smeltery tank w/o Iron to make the bucket?

(This is all FTB/MagicFarm) TConstruct w/IguanaTweeks.

buckets are vanilla, so you have to use the vanilla method of cooking up iron ore. iron ore is mineable with stone tools, so no catch-22

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
In FTB/MagicFarm Iron Ore is not yielded with stone tools.

The progression is Flint (tool) -> Copper (tool) -> Bronze (tool) -> Iron (tool)

Flint tools yield Copper Ore and Aluminum Ore (and other non metallic resources)
Copper tools yield Tin Ore, plus whatever Flint tools yield.
Tin and Copper make Bronze, a Bronze Tool yields Iron ore, plus whatever Copper tools yield.

So a crafter can go from dirt-poor to Iron tools (and good iron tools, even steel by adding some coal (Carbon) to the alloy).

But the device to get the Lava (fuel) into the Smeltery is overlooked.

On FTB/MagicFarm (unlike other server mod-packs and vanilla), the bucket is key.

It's not possible on FTB/MagicFarm to craft a bucket to hold Lava w/o iron, hence the catch-22.

I'm tempted to place a bucket into my server's /kit tools in order to solve that gap.