Tinkers Construct smeltery questions.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I had a few questions about tinkers construct smeltery multiblock. Is there a way to access more than one liquid metal at a time when it is in the smeltery? so if I had gold iron and let's say cobalt, is there a way to pour different ones at the same time/switch which ones get poured first? Another question I have is, is there a way to make the smeltery go faster/smelt liquids faster?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
nope, nope, nope, nope.
If there were any questions I missed here, nope. lol

You can add more spickets for more output, that might help.

Reactions: Bigpak

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, thank you for your help! It's a shame that different sides of the smeltery don't output different liquids or if you were to use different layers of the smeltery. Thanks for your help!

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, thank you for your help! It's a shame that different sides of the smeltery don't output different liquids or if you were to use different layers of the smeltery. Thanks for your help!

Depends on how important it is to you, but I have one main smeltery that is large and smelts all sorts of stuff that I don't care about the order of...and then I have a few 1-2 layer ones for when it does matter to me.

Reactions: Bigpak

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019

This is possibly the best way I've found, just make a factory with all the smelteries for all the ores you need to produce en masse. It can process all the basic metals and allows for a simple dumping system when the AE gets too full. It is your best bet and as for the tanks, my suggestion would be just dumping it via liquiduct into casting basins unlike my way of doing it which sadly breaks (using faucets on the railcraft tank valve)

Reactions: MigukNamja

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If you mix liquids wrongly or by accident, simply make ingots of the stuff you need to get out and you can at least smelt it back down later.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
If you mix liquids wrongly or by accident, simply make ingots of the stuff you need to get out and you can at least smelt it back down later.

Not so fun when you need iron, and already have 80 ingots of gold melted down :)

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012

This is possibly the best way I've found, just make a factory with all the smelteries for all the ores you need to produce en masse. It can process all the basic metals and allows for a simple dumping system when the AE gets too full. It is your best bet and as for the tanks, my suggestion would be just dumping it via liquiduct into casting basins unlike my way of doing it which sadly breaks (using faucets on the railcraft tank valve)
You can probably get away with just using two large smelteries, and splitting up any of the metals that can form alloys.

You can also pipe liquid metal out of a smeltery and store it in a tank, if you need to get it out but don't have the patience to turn it all into ingots.

Ughzug

Jul 29, 2019
generally other methods of processing ores will get you more, the only reason to keep smelterys around after you get up there in the tech tree is to smelt down drops from mfr grinders like chain mail and gold armor into steel and gold. oh and making tools.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
You can pipe out all the liquid from the smeltery into tanks.

Since tanks cant contain more than one liquid tanks will only accept the correct metal, then you cna reverse the liquiduct or use another method to return the metal to the smeltery when you want it.

The issue are alloys... but they wont mix in the tanks, so its just a matter of being careful when melting.... i guess?.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Whoever said people usually don't use smelteries once they get up into the higher tech levels... I have a plan for mine. I want to build mine extremely high up and then literally just shift click stacks of ore into it once its automated. It is an extremely fast method for doubling ores.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Whoever said people usually don't use smelteries once they get up into the higher tech levels... I have a plan for mine. I want to build mine extremely high up and then literally just shift click stacks of ore into it once its automated. It is an extremely fast method for doubling ores.

If you make it too big you will crash your game/server...once they start getting past 80 or so item capacity they have been known to cause some pretty bad lag when opening the gui

note: I have not actually experienced this, as I don't want one that big, I've seen it mentioned a few times though, I'd suggest looking into it before you actually do it ;)

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
In my new world (3 days old) im using a bank of 5 pulverizers and 5 furnaces, fed by extrautilities pipes (to make it cheap for myself on AE stuff), and outputting into iron pipes that go into my AE.

Ore processes pretty fast like this, and theres no reason not to add 10 additional machines of each type.

The best thing is i dont need to wait for all that metal to slowly pour into casts :p

2013_09_20_18_27_09.png

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you can also use liquid routers to remove multiple liquids from a smeltery. Build a few tanks, route all the output, presto.

Reactions: Museli

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019

"shift-clicking stacks" and "automated" don't belong in the same sentence.

I find speed to be mostly irrelevant for anything I intend to do stacks of. You just run multiple instances in parallel of whatever process you're using. 5 pulverizers not fast enough? Add 10 more. Your router doesn't care how many are in the loop.

Lastly, I prefer to keep most of my ores in dust form, with level emitters maintaining small working stocks of each ingot. This could be done with smelteries and tanks, I suppose. :)

Reactions: PierceSG and Dorque