Tinker's Construct Hammer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DiamondArrow

Jul 29, 2019
I have more than enough cobalt and ardite at my disposable, and I'm planning on making a hammer for mining. I'm a little confused about how materials on a certain part of a hammer will affect it's performance.
exmaple: The head of a pickaxe determines it's mining speed, handle multiplies the durability etc.\

*playing on FTB infinity

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
The head and plates determine mining speed and durability, the head being the most important, and the handle has a multiplier to the total durability. I prefer a hammer with a cobalt head, a paper and a thaumium plate (for max modifiers), and an ardite handle. I put 3 levels of redstone, then add either lapis or a silky gem. Then I wear it down to low durability then add a flux capacitor to get the most out of ardite's stonebound ability.

DiamondArrow

Jul 29, 2019
The head and plates determine mining speed and durability, the head being the most important, and the handle has a multiplier to the total durability. I prefer a hammer with a cobalt head, a paper and a thaumium plate (for max modifiers), and an ardite handle. I put 3 levels of redstone, then add either lapis or a silky gem. Then I wear it down to low durability then add a flux capacitor to get the most out of ardite's stonebound ability.
Thank you!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I always prefer a paper rod for an additional modifier, and cobalt plates and head for best speed.
I pretty much use this configuration every world for my tools

mQPg9zN.png

Reactions: Odovbold

Jackcat136

Jul 29, 2019
I always prefer a paper rod for an additional modifier, and cobalt plates and head for best speed.
I pretty much use this configuration every world for my tools

mQPg9zN.png

These are some nice toolsets, but I've got some questions/recommendations, first of all you have flux on your weapons, so why not have one of your rods on each of them cactus? That would make so much more damage then an extra modifier full of quartz could, secondly, why is your fortune/non-silk touch pick have a stone head? Why not cobalt or something else? and lastly, why do you add a beheading modifier on your scythe? I'm sure that last bit of quartz would do better ;)

Reactions: DrShark12

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
These are some nice toolsets, but I've got some questions/recommendations, first of all you have flux on your weapons, so why not have one of your rods on each of them cactus? That would make so much more damage then an extra modifier full of quartz could, secondly, why is your fortune/non-silk touch pick have a stone head? Why not cobalt or something else? and lastly, why do you add a beheading modifier on your scythe? I'm sure that last bit of quartz would do better ;)

I forgot to mention that these are my personal choices, they are by no way the most efficient ones.
but to answer your questions, I can be incredibly OCD about the most stupid things, so I try to build all the tools with the same materials.
the obsidian handles on the normal tools is a good way of saving some RF and the paper tough tool rods add some extra modifier slots.

the stone pickaxe head is because that's always my starting tinker's tool, a pickaxe with a stone head, paper binding and wooden stick. I try to get some lapis on it as soon as possible so I can level the fortune modier up by using it when mining, instead of spending more lapis on it. when I have plenty of resources I do create a cobalt fortune pickaxe.

as for the beheading modifier on the scythe, I personally don't use the scythe as a main weapon, but more of a weapon for the autonomous activator or when I need to clear large amounts of mobs in a spawner, that beheading modifier gives me a good chance of getting extra heads which are quite helpful to have with mods like Ender IO and Thaumcraft. it's also great to have a scythe with beheading when trying to farm for wither skeleton skulls.

James dore

Jul 29, 2019
Smelt the cobalt and ardite (1:1 ratio) together which makes manyullyn which is the end game material . do as @DrowElf did and replace the hammer head with the manyullyn u have the highest durability hammer in the work just add a leadstone battery in there u use no durability but use rf instead.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't done it in a while, but it prob hasn't changed? Make a 4x Ardite Hammer (all 4 pieces Ardite) and they will stack, you will have Stonebound VIII on the hammer. It won't do anything until the durability drops. Use all the modfiers up by putting Redstone on the hammer to increase the speed. Then get the durability down as low as possible WITHOUT breaking the hammer... then add a modifier (gold block plus a diamond) and throw one of those RF capacitors on the hammer so you can recharge the durability using RF. You will now be the proud owner of the fastest hammer possible and charging it completely with RF will not change the speed of the tool. It will be permanent. The only drawback is that the RF will run out rather quickly, so I had four of these hammers at the ready, with a system for sending the "used up" hammers back to base to be recharged and sent back to me when done (via an EnderPouch).

Nowadays, it seems most packs don't even have the EnderPouch mod, so this technique may not work as well anymore. And if TiCo has changed anything since I used this method back in Monster modpack, then I do apologize and hope someone will correct my info.

I see DrowElf already said this, in fewer words. :) I never read threads before I post. LOL

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC, TiC was changed to have flux cap upgrade ignores stone bound bonus. It was a pretty recent change too.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC, TiC was changed to have flux cap upgrade ignores stone bound bonus. It was a pretty recent change too.

Thanks for clarifying, glad I put a disclaimer into my post then. I had a feeling something would happen eventually. As the saying goes... "all good thing must come to an end". I think that's a saying anyways. If it isn't, it should be.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
The recent change also makes that the capacitor upgrade will take the tool's total durability into account. So if your tool's base durability is low, you can only upgrade it with a leadstone capacitor, which only holds 40k RF.

But you can still have a Resonant capacitor in your hotbar while using the tool, and it will recharge your tool as you use it.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if it's TiC or Extra TiC that adds it, but platinum has a higher mining speed and durability than cobalt and does more damage than manyullyn. It is made from Thermal expansions shiny metal and is available in the Infinity pack. Also, manyullyn tool rods have a higher multiplier than ardite these days. Blue slime crystals also have the same multiplier as manyullyn.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't done it in a while, but it prob hasn't changed? Make a 4x Ardite Hammer (all 4 pieces Ardite) and they will stack, you will have Stonebound VIII on the hammer. It won't do anything until the durability drops. Use all the modfiers up by putting Redstone on the hammer to increase the speed. Then get the durability down as low as possible WITHOUT breaking the hammer... then add a modifier (gold block plus a diamond) and throw one of those RF capacitors on the hammer so you can recharge the durability using RF. You will now be the proud owner of the fastest hammer possible and charging it completely with RF will not change the speed of the tool. It will be permanent. The only drawback is that the RF will run out rather quickly, so I had four of these hammers at the ready, with a system for sending the "used up" hammers back to base to be recharged and sent back to me when done (via an EnderPouch).

Nowadays, it seems most packs don't even have the EnderPouch mod, so this technique may not work as well anymore. And if TiCo has changed anything since I used this method back in Monster modpack, then I do apologize and hope someone will correct my info.

I see DrowElf already said this, in fewer words. :) I never read threads before I post. LOL

Why does this seem like a bug that hasn't been fixed yet?
Seems very cheesy. Won't do it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Not being especially concerned about modifiers myself, my preferred hammer is Cobalt head, steel plate, obsidian plate and Manullyn Rod. That gives it truly stupid durability. Strap on an Emerald and a piece of lapis, and it's a bit of a monster. You can bore through most of the world before you need to repair it.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Why does this seem like a bug that hasn't been fixed yet?
Seems very cheesy. Won't do it.

We don't have bugs, we just have "happy accidents". :)

RIP Bob Ross, I still miss watching your painting show every week on PBS. Even the re-runs are gone now...

Reactions: Gamefury64

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
My standard hasn't changed since 1.5.2, mainly due to grumpy intransigence.

Cobalt head, Obsidian and Thaumium plates, Manyullyn handle.

Diamond/Gold block for another modifier (and now two more extra mods in 1.7.10), Moss for auto-repair, Lapis for fortune then redstone all the way for shpeed.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Steel head, Cobalt plates, Thaumium handle.

Not sure if it's TiC or Extra TiC that adds it, but platinum has a higher mining speed and durability than cobalt and does more damage than manyullyn. It is made from Thermal expansions shiny metal and is available in the Infinity pack. Also, manyullyn tool rods have a higher multiplier than ardite these days. Blue slime crystals also have the same multiplier as manyullyn.

There is a mod that allows you to define custom TiC parts, so you could have an emerald or diamond hammer, or a uranium and iridium battleaxe.