Tinkering with Fusion Reactors

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
For great justice! :eek:

I seem to be having no luck getting the energy out of a fusion reactor after multiple attemps and poking around for methods on YouTube. Time for queries here.

Working towards a power core concept with auto-refuel reactors generating all power in my base. However, it is unfortunately of no value if I can't get the EU back out and the reactors just sit at 100m energy. :confused:

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Try this: Fusion reactor output-> Superconductor wires -> 16 HV transformers (high voltage at input side from superconductor, low voltage to glass fibre)->Glass Fibres -> IDSU/Matter Fabricator

You don't need any supercondensator (as suggested by some people). This setup will suck all EU from Fusion reactor except for the last 98x K eu due to the 1 million limitation..

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
A picture of your setup would be incredibly helpful. The way you say it makes it sound like you have it set up but it's not working.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't gotten a feel for even drawing the energy out of a reactor yet, so it's all just experimental until I know how everything meshes. So there is no setup just yet until I've gotten the energy flow right. Eventually, it'll be 5 reactors. And if that seems too much, well I won't be using monazit for my MFFS defenses. And part of my build depends on the power core final size, so how much exactly is still up in the air. Gotta have a solid on demand wither containment and anti-explosion shields, right? :D

I became very scared upon reading the title. One does not simply "tinker with fusion". In minecraft or real life.
I like making things explode. :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately fusion reactors don't explode, they just whiff out...

But you could explode a whole lot of machinery with the voltage coming from the thing :D

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
5 reactors.... What exactly do you need that much EU for?

Realistically, by the time you can afford to make a fusion reactor you have already built a capable system for producing large quantities of UU matter. Is there some other form of EU dump to spend your fusion output on?

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
The fusion reactor just seams like an odd goal. Once you make it, then what? Gregtech adds so much, yet it's severely lacking in anything to accomplish post fusion reactor. It seams lately he's more interested in nerfing other mods, filing out the periodic table with multitudes of cells and dusts that have extremely limited use or no use at all, and ensuring that even the slightest mistake in your wiring will reduce your super expensive machines to smoldering ashes.

For a mod that advertises "awesome tier IV tech", he hasn't done much in that respect lately.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
The fusion reactor just seams like an odd goal. Once you make it, then what? Gregtech adds so much, yet it's severely lacking in anything to accomplish post fusion reactor.

Which means you reach the "design pretty buildings" point of your minecraft game. Its just like vanilla except doesn't happen in 5 seconds.

For a mod that advertises "awesome tier IV tech", he hasn't done much in that respect lately.

You seem to be seeking Tier V

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
It just feels like an unfinished ending to the gregtech tech tree. Consider IC2 by itself, it has the nuclear reactor and it outputs far more energy than you're likely to need with just machines but it also has the mass fabricator which you'd have a hard time powering until you had a nuclear reactor.

Gregtech adds tons of machines that help you build better power generators, but nothing to use the power.

What do you consider tier IV?

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what the trouble with GT, or any other MC mod for that matter, is with people going on about where a mod "tops out" and lacks further progression. GT, like pretty much every mod in FTB and beyond is perpetually under development as new ideas are formed and grown. I fully expect GT to flesh out at least twice as good as it already is. :D

And why all that power?

MFFS shields permanently on (BIG ones), doing away with all engines other than max output electrics until an TE energy cell recharges in 5 seconds (for the rare ones I'll move after final construction), and some other ideas in my head that haven't fleshed out yet.

I will not use IC2 solar or other freebie gens. :)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech adds tons of machines that help you build better power generators, but nothing to use the power.

Once you have a magical box that eats energy and makes anything you want, what exact energy sink over and above that is possible?

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Once you have a magical box that eats energy and makes anything you want, what exact energy sink over and above that is possible?

Not quite everything, UU matter has a limited list of things it can produce. Besides, matter fabrication is already in IC2, I stand by my point that gregtech doesn't add anything original that uses more than a token amount of power. All his machines run on 32/128 eu.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
The short version of mastering the GregTech fusion reactor is to understand how power packets and transformers actually work: the Fusion Reactor's output is so huge that most of it gets burnt up in the internal reactor buffer without being very careful to prevent bottlenecks in your system. The fusion reactor will continue producing EU even if its internal buffer is full. Even though the buffer can store 100 million EU that will fill up very quickly once the reactor is actually running. As for the transformers, they too work by having a hidden internal power buffer, and if you feed power into them faster than they can send it you get a bottleneck which will quickly creep back to your reactor, or worse the excess energy will simply get wasted in the cables.

Ideally you should build an output system that can reliably transmit 32768EU/t without any bottlenecks. 16 HV Transformers can handle this but first you have to get the power into them safely. Also be aware that even the most basic fusion fuel combination produces over 2 billion EU per cycle per stack in a fusion reactor, so unless you have an immediate use for that amount of power you will need a lot of storage.

Finally, rapidly stopping and starting a fusion reactor wastes a tremendous amount of power, so you should prepare all of the above and let it run for the full cycle with a full stack of fuel to get the most out of it.

Yes, it is as expensive as it sounds.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite everything, UU matter has a limited list of things it can produce. Besides, matter fabrication is already in IC2, I stand by my point that gregtech doesn't add anything original that uses more than a token amount of power. All his machines run on 32/128 eu.

Except the matter fabricator itself, which takes up to 8096 EU/t. And on default settings, more or less needs it too in order to go at any sort of decent speed.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019

They also have time restraints meaning you will want many of them if you are building any of his T4 stuff within a real life day.

I'm not sure how you can power anything off a single nuclear reactor by the way... if that's all you use in IC I don't really see the point, a few hundred eu/t? Some people just for going through the game have workshops eating multiple K's while running not including the matter fabs 8k/side.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
They also have time restraints meaning you will want many of them if you are building any of his T4 stuff within a real life day.

I'm not sure how you can power anything off a single nuclear reactor by the way... if that's all you use in IC I don't really see the point, a few hundred eu/t? Some people just for going through the game have workshops eating multiple K's while running not including the matter fabs 8k/side.

Perhaps I don't understand what teir 4 is. Is tier 4 the industrial processing machines? I had a single nuclear reactor in my old bunker powering all my macerators, furnaces, grinders, centrifuges, etc. It worked fine for me, but I wasn't running it 24 hours a day. It seemed sufficient to power the processing of 4 miners and the occasional strip mine foray. I don't remember running low on power ever, but I had 2 more reactor rooms carved out and ready to go.

The power generation of your base doesn't need to match the consumption of every machine in it running simultaneously so long as you have proper storage for EU.

Honza8D

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech will have very energy consuming wormhole generator that could send you to its own dimension, or something like that, in the future

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Except the matter fabricator itself, which takes up to 8096 EU/t. And on default settings, more or less needs it too in order to go at any sort of decent speed.

Except that this isn't original, it's a hardmode version of a machine that's already in IC2. Aside from this, what else even uses more than 128 per tick?[DOUBLEPOST=1359821785][/DOUBLEPOST]
Gregtech will have very energy consuming wormhole generator that could send you to its own dimension, or something like that, in the future

That sounds fantastic, do you have a quote on that?