Tinkering with Fusion Reactors

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so more playing around with the dang thing and still can't get any energy out in my test world. I know energy can pass through the superconductor wires because I got hit with a full reactor EU packet resulting in instant death while wearing full gravity suit/quantum gear at full charge. Picking it back up, I discovered it was nearly drained utterly. :eek:

Might I trouble someone to post a pic of a setup they have working? I cannot imagine why I can't seem to get ANY power out though. I am tempted to say I have a strange bug the more options I experiment with. It's not meant to be this difficult just to get the EU out of the reactor. :confused:

And like I said, GT is still rising with further ideas and more machines. Give it time to flesh out and massage the balances. :D

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
They are supposed to only take 8k per side, but fair enough.
Do you have a citation for that? The matterfab can accept 8196 packets so it can be placed next to a lightning rod without intervening transformers, but I've not heard of an intended speed cap.

As it is, there is no point to building more than one fab until energy production exceeds 1 UU per tick. The more practical concern is ensuring scrap production keeps pace, though with the massfab once power reaches ludicrous levels one can afford to neglect efficiency a bit.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so more playing around with the dang thing and still can't get any energy out in my test world. I know energy can pass through the superconductor wires because I got hit with a full reactor EU packet resulting in instant death while wearing full gravity suit/quantum gear at full charge. Picking it back up, I discovered it was nearly drained utterly. :eek:

Might I trouble someone to post a pic of a setup they have working? I cannot imagine why I can't seem to get ANY power out though. I am tempted to say I have a strange bug the more options I experiment with. It's not meant to be this difficult just to get the EU out of the reactor. :confused:

And like I said, GT is still rising with further ideas and more machines. Give it time to flesh out and massage the balances. :D

Have you tried my suggestion to connect fusion reactor->superconductor wires->16 HV transformers->glass fibres-> IDSU/MatterFabricator?

Here's the pic:

dyren

Jul 29, 2019
There's some misinformation in this thread. The matter fab can handle hundreds of thousands of EU/tick(current) so long as no individual packet exceeds 8192 EU/packet (voltage). I connected 12 Fusion Reactors to a single Matter Fabricator using the Superconductor Wire and 48 Supercondensators which transferred 393,216 EU/tick on average from the Reactors. The Matter Fab. produced 1 UU-Matter in just over 2 Seconds.

In the current version of GregTech, Supercondensators are basically transformers that take super-ultra-extreme-mega-high voltage (1,000,000 EU/packet) and transform it down to 8192 EU/packet. One fusion reactor will, as stated earlier, produce ~32,000 EU/tick so you need 4 Supercondensators per Fusion Reactor to draw that much power away from the Superconductor Wire which will be connected to the Matter Fab output. This will transfer ~32,000 EU/tick away from the Fusion Reactor and into the Matter Fab. in packets of size 8192EU.

If you want to connect the output to any other storage device you need to step down the voltage to the appropriate voltage (2048EU/p for AESU or IDSU, 512EU/p for MFSU, etc.)

This is all from personal experimentation in Mindcrack v8.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried my suggestion to connect fusion reactor->superconductor wires->16 HV transformers->glass fibres-> IDSU/MatterFabricator?

Here's the pic: (snip)
It started working. For some reason, I could not get it to function but I had not tried something like the setup in your pics. I had not registered what you said exactly (the reason I asked for a screenshot :oops:) , so had been missing the glass fiber cables. A good 25 HV transformers were pulling 52100 EU/t and the reactor was draining the buffer. Many thanks. :D

Now to start getting myself a setup for the future power core. I'll post a shot of the completed internals once I am satisfied. I am saving the casing ideas for later base construction and may or may not involve frames, but unsure if I'll ever NEED to access the internals after finishing setup. :cool:

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Majority of the power core design is now finished. Generates over 165k EU/t and is automatically tended by managers. Production of the actual Tritium/Deuterium cells is trivial by contrast, though it is a LOT of machines to make it self-sustaining. Off the top of my head, I think it was around 125 total to maintain 5 fusion reactors infinitely. This setup specifically gives you 197,772,160EU/t over about 51.2 seconds per cycle. You will have a hard time utilizing that much power in many cases. :)

Granted, there are some aspects that are obviously not going to stay in place and this was meant as a proof of concept and getting measurements in place. Some aspects may even be placed underground or otherwise well distant, while others will be further condensed. Glass fiber cabling will have some areas longer than 40 long, but I don't really believe a little EU loss in transmission is going to matter here. :p

2013-02-03_07.52.37.png
2013-02-03_07.53.01.png
If anyone has suggestions or comments, please feel free to share. :D

Reactions: Squigie

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Another hint: you can share fusion coils with other fusion reactor..
Actually that is irrelevant for this particular intention as I am doing a pillar approach. If I were to go wide, then I would certainly make good use of that functionality. :D

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's just another hint so that you can run the second fusion reactor setup more faster after the first one.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
I mean faster time to set up the second fusion reactors so you can get even more fusion reactors with lesser time.

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pondering how much more compact this might become if the logisitc pipes port were added in. I might need to experiment....

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pondering how much more compact this might become if the logisitc pipes port were added in. I might need to experiment....
Ditto, but I'm waiting for Krapht to release LP2 first.

And by the time I get to this beastly construct there will be substantial infrastructure already present for energy. Upon completion of the power core, I will dismantle most other power generation infrastructure. I haven't even finished the first leg of four that will form the tower. :p

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
You have no EU in the reactor. The "Start" value NEI shows is the minimum EU the reactor needs to have stored for the reaction to begin.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Did you see that big circle on the sides of the fusion reactor? That's the eu input sides to the reactor and the other 2 sides (small white dot) are the output of reactor.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
I have configured fusion generator as in the pictures in page below but does not work:

images, click here

I used: superconductor wire, 16 HV transformer, MFSU. What is wrong ?
Ditto as already said about powering the reactor until it reaches ignition level. THEN you can see if you get power out from the fusion reaction.

Also note, you need to input power on one of the two sides you have not attached a cable to. The superconductor wires are attached to the output sides already, so it is easy. A glass fiber cable from a solar or whatever powergen you want will be fine but it will require a lot of EU to ignite before you get any power out.

They're expensive as heck because they have incredible output once they're running and provided you keep the reaction materials loaded, you never have to charge it again. For reference, 25 industrial electrolyzers should be able to fully provide your fusion reactor fuel with slight surplus. Meaning once you get it set, you never really have to touch the system ever again and have endless EU to your heart's content. :D