Tinker Construct - Best Weapon (not tool)

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Any tips for a good bow/arrow combo?

bow: slime,slime and enchanted sting. pile on the redstone.

arrow: feather fletching always and slime rods for range and paper when needing an extra buffslot.
arrowheads depending on what properties you want. thaum for extra buffslot (paired with a paper rod this gives a whooping 5 slots), cactus for decent dps sniper shots, and the manyullyn stuff for that ultra heavy boss slayer arrow set (overloaded with quarts ofc).

cactus tipped sniper arrows tend to get lost, so don't bother quartsing them up much, just a single piece per arrow for half a heart bonus, and a single blazepowder to roast your dinner with when on the move.
For killing difficult bosses it seems that quarts is the way to go, altho you can add an enderpearl and obsidian block for beheading as well for hunting those pesky witherskellies. Don't bother with fire tho, not worth it with bosses since they are often immune annyhow. a wither bone may also be good, havent tested that myself, but if it works as advertized then getting health from ranged kills is very very powerful.

Reactions: ZeSapper

ZeSapper

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Antice! I'm pretty familiar with TiC but the bows added a whole new level of depth. How do you get the enchanted string though? It's not coming up in NEI for me, is it a mob drop or dungeon loot?

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Antice! I'm pretty familiar with TiC but the bows added a whole new level of depth. How do you get the enchanted string though? It's not coming up in NEI for me, is it a mob drop or dungeon loot?

it's from thaumcraft actually. so you need to research it there. until you get to that point however, I suggest just using ordinary string. that extra slot is not that important tbh. most effects has to be put on the arrows to work anyhow, so apart from moss and redstone there aren't many uses for them.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019

its three pieces of enchanted fabric, you learn it really early in thaumcraft (was the first thing i learned)

ZeSapper

Jul 29, 2019
it's from thaumcraft actually. so you need to research it there. until you get to that point however, I suggest just using ordinary string. that extra slot is not that important tbh. most effects has to be put on the arrows to work anyhow, so apart from moss and redstone there aren't many uses for them.

Oh okay so all you get out of it is an extra upgrade slot, kind of meh then lol. Thanks for the help!

WangthePhoenix

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I also couldn't decide, so I got multiple weapons. (Though I do not recommend the experience unless you have the Dual Hotbar Mod.)
1a. Rapier
Manyullyn Blade
Paper for whatever is used as the binding/guard/bar
Green Slime tool rod
Whatever Modifiers You Want

1b. Longsword
Manyullyn Blade
Paper handguard
Green Slime tool rod
Whatever Modifiers You Want

2. Pan (Yes, I know it's not very popular, but it's useful in tight situations with lots of mobs.)
Iron (or whatever material you want) Pan
Green Slime tool rod
Two full modifiers of knockback will give more knockback than you will ever need.

3. Longbow
Blue slime limbs
Blue slime plate (though Thaumium would be great if you have it)
Strings (Flamestring for greater arrowspeed/slightly more drawback time)(Enchanted string for extra modifier/less arrowspeed and drawback time)

4a. Arrows (General Use)
Blue Slime/cactus head (Blue slime = greater ammo but less damage, so add a quartz modifier; cactus = lesser ammo but more damage)
Sugarcane shaft
Slimeleaf fletching

4b. Arrows (Boss kills)
Manyullyn Head
Sugarcane shaft
Slimeleaf fletching
Moss modifier if you want it

Now, if you're sure you want to one-shot mobs w/out adding modifiers and you will not encounter mobs of mobs, just get the classic manyullyn cleaver, or get a battleaxe if you don't mind the extra knockback and want the swing speed.

BUT IN THE END, just get whatever works for you and find how you like to slay mobs.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I tend to find the Rapier entirely too situational for every day use. I'd much rather use the Longsword and it's air critting capability. Lunge and smash them in the face. Killed the Ender Dragon with that.

I use Steel Blade, Paper guard, Cactus Rod. All the quartz, and one splash of moss.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
For crossbows, I'm now a huge fan of Plastic crossbow arm. It has the same arrow speed as slime, but with faster reload. Also Thaumium Stock, because that counts as the handle. Paper binding, because d'uh. And I like to use Fiery String rather than Enchanted. You can still put enough Redstone on it to drop it down to a RoF of 0.5 including a modifier for Flux, but it will do way more damage than using enchanted string.

For Bolts, Steel is the way to go. Same damage as Manyullen, MUCH easier to make. Keep some steel ingots on you for repairing on the fly with a table or with IguanaTweaks. Steel shaft as well for extra weight, and thus extra penetration. Slime leaf fletching is supposedly the best, but I don't think the stonebound modifier from the plain leaf fletching actually applies to bolts, meaning you can triple your stack size by using them. After the modifier nerf, do *NOT* bother with any damage modifiers. They don't work any more. A full three modifiers of nether quartz affected damage otuput, according to Damage Indicators, not in the least. Knockback might be useful, a punch bow is always for Lulz around cliffs and such, and so might blaze powder.

I really like using a Rapier for every-day use, but then I also play with Mekanism. You know no woe until you run into full glowstone or osmium armored mobs. If you don't run into many armored mobs, then utility drops rapidly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Scythe yet. I don't count it a tool, because its only use as a tool sucks when compared to other options. However, the ability to hit multiple opponents in an area effect is absolutely amazing. Toss one knockback on it, Flux of course, maybe necrotic (although after the nerf, not much point in it), and load it up with Nether Quartz. The knockback will ensure they never get to close with you, and you have reach on them. Even if it doesn't do the most damage per hit, the ability to hold off mobs is not to be underestimated.

Reactions: Shadeslayer97
S

Shadeslayer97

For crossbows, I'm now a huge fan of Plastic crossbow arm. It has the same arrow speed as slime, but with faster reload. Also Thaumium Stock, because that counts as the handle. Paper binding, because d'uh. And I like to use Fiery String rather than Enchanted. You can still put enough Redstone on it to drop it down to a RoF of 0.5 including a modifier for Flux, but it will do way more damage than using enchanted string.

For Bolts, Steel is the way to go. Same damage as Manyullen, MUCH easier to make. Keep some steel ingots on you for repairing on the fly with a table or with IguanaTweaks. Steel shaft as well for extra weight, and thus extra penetration. Slime leaf fletching is supposedly the best, but I don't think the stonebound modifier from the plain leaf fletching actually applies to bolts, meaning you can triple your stack size by using them. After the modifier nerf, do *NOT* bother with any damage modifiers. They don't work any more. A full three modifiers of nether quartz affected damage otuput, according to Damage Indicators, not in the least. Knockback might be useful, a punch bow is always for Lulz around cliffs and such, and so might blaze powder.

I really like using a Rapier for every-day use, but then I also play with Mekanism. You know no woe until you run into full glowstone or osmium armored mobs. If you don't run into many armored mobs, then utility drops rapidly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Scythe yet. I don't count it a tool, because its only use as a tool sucks when compared to other options. However, the ability to hit multiple opponents in an area effect is absolutely amazing. Toss one knockback on it, Flux of course, maybe necrotic (although after the nerf, not much point in it), and load it up with Nether Quartz. The knockback will ensure they never get to close with you, and you have reach on them. Even if it doesn't do the most damage per hit, the ability to hold off mobs is not to be underestimated.

Which mods has plastic, fiery string and flux capacitor?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm pretty sure the TE metals have been nerfed to a point where it's not really worth using
Not if you're still on 1.7.10 it's not. The bolts were nerfed quite a bit, to the point that it was nigh worthless to bother putting any Sharpness on the bolts, but the signalum limbs with the enderium bolts still cranked out 50+ damage a shot.