Time to clear up a faulty rumour

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I've seen this posted more than once on the forums and I thought that this false information should be nipped in the bud. Tinkers Construct smelteries can still be generated in villages. They weren't removed from village generation. This may seem not to be the case but I assure you, they were only made to generate more rarely. I just found a generated smelter inside a village using the latest stable version (1.4) so yes, this is the latest version and they still spawn. Any information to the contrary is false.

There, now maybe people will stop saying villages can no longer spawn them.

Addendum: If you use the seed 3215739466374980400 and go to the coordinates +165x, +135z you'll see a village with a chance to spawn a smelter on both default and BoP world types. However, the smelter spawning is NOT guaranteed - to reroll the generation completely close out minecraft to the FTB launcher and relaunch the game to try for a smelter.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I've seen this posted more than once on the forums and I thought that this false information should be nipped in the bud. Tinkers Construct smelteries can still be generated in villages. They weren't removed from village generation. This may seem not to be the case but I assure you, they were only made to generate more rarely. I just found a generated smelter inside a village using the latest stable version (1.4) so yes, this is the latest version and they still spawn. Any information to the contrary is false.

There, now maybe people will stop saying villages can no longer spawn them.

Addendum: If you use the seed 3215739466374980400 and go to the coordinates +165x, +135z you'll see a village with a chance to spawn a smelter on both default and BoP world types. However, the smelter spawning is NOT guaranteed - to reroll the generation completely close out minecraft to the FTB launcher and relaunch the game to try for a smelter.
Thanks. Nice work.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well, you know most people, once they are used to something being easy to obtain, having it now being harder is classed as a mod breaking nerf.

Reactions: tehBlobLord

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Actually making a smeltery is even easier in the latest version. Once you get a simple 1 high smelter you can start smelting cobble to make seared stone which can be used instead of seared bricks, and then the seared stone can be made into other patterns including seared bricks using the chisel. The only thing that could remotely be considered an issue at that point is getting the small seared bricks for making the stuff such as drains, controllers, tanks, faucets, glass, tables, and basins. Even then the clay isn't that hard to get unless you have no water around for a long distance and if you have the tinker's recovery mod you can uncraft the blocks to get the smaller bricks (not sure if it's up-to-date though).

My main point is people are spreading false information because of confirmation bias and I wanted to stop it.

Edit: Also some other things to add for the drawbridges - drawbridges don't carry redstone signals to every other connected drawbridge, it only carries a signal like any other block. Placing redstone blocks with the drawbridge forces it to stay on so you can't retract the blocks. Any redstone placed by the drawbridge won't get picked up if it's retracted at the same time as the block it's placed on. Redstone signals don't go through the front of the drawbridge, so if you have a lever turning on the drawbridge from behind you would need a redstone signal coming in from the side to activate the redstone. Rednet cables can be place with drawbridges and act the same as redstone for the signal, doesn't need to be placed on another block, and defaults to white.

lrUgSE6.jpg

D1QodL0.jpg

dWphLuC.jpg

Pic 1 is the drawbridge and lever setup from the front, pic 2 is from the side, and pic 3 is extended from the side. With the lever and cable set up where they are you can extend the bridge and give a redstone signal with one lever.

Reactions: Juanitierno

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, since drawbridges only extend to 15 blocks (down from the original 16 due to redstone's constraints) it makes it so you can use the drawbridges in some interesting redstone circuits.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
I got an abstract thought of an automatic mining system using ME TPlanes and Drawbridges :D.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
There used to be a mod(Mike's Tech or something like that) way back in the day before forge even that used a similar system for garage doors. The problem is that it didn't work with any blocks except his "door".

The awesome part of those garage doors was that you had a handheld remote that you used to open and close them. I've going over all the handheld stuff available now, but I can't seem to find something to replicate it yet. I had a feeling I could make something happen with the new logistics pipes, but I can't figure out how to retract from there. A handheld wireless remote for a wireless redstone mod would be really nice.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not familiar with logistics pipes, but if you can get a wireless system that outputs a cobblestone onto a pressure plate to open it up that might work.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if it does, but if it does that would be one way. The other way would be setting up a system similar to KirinDave's where he had a piston door that opened and closed whenever someone with his key card walked close enough. Logically this would also work with a drawbridge door but might not be what you're looking for. Personally I would want to make a wall that gets retracted when you step on a pressure plate and gives you enough time to cross, then closes again - either that or one where it closes again if you step back on the pressure plate. The first one would need a properly set timer, while the second one you can have another drawbridge that goes perpendicular to the main ones that blocks them off until it receives another signal.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I just had a stupidly simple idea. I'm kicking myself right now.

A player detector of some kind(several mods have these), even a player-only pressure plate(plenty of those to go around too), connected to a flip-flop of some kind. I would just use a Rednet Controller for it. The other side of the door would have another detector which would flip the signal and close the bridge/door behind me.

Herp.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
I just had a stupidly simple idea. I'm kicking myself right now.

A player detector of some kind(several mods have these), even a player-only pressure plate(plenty of those to go around too), connected to a flip-flop of some kind. I would just use a Rednet Controller for it. The other side of the door would have another detector which would flip the signal and close the bridge/door behind me.

Herp.
You wouldn't need the second detector or the T flipflop, logically wouldn't the door just close again when you left the play detector range? They work by states not pulses.

Also, if I recall correctly, Kirindave already made one of these but with pistons (see above post by DB :D )

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
You wouldn't need the second detector or the T flipflop, logically wouldn't the door just close again when you left the play detector range? They work by states not pulses.

Also, if I recall correctly, Kirindave already made one of these but with pistons (see above post by DB :D )

Yeah, I'm tempted to look at Dave's setup. I play RR anyways. :D

I'll be trying a few configurations at least. I've definitely copied designs before, but, for me, debugging and finding your own way to do things is one of the most rewarding parts of modded MC.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I think mdiyo nerfed the spawning of smelteries because he added a function to the smeltery where you could boil villagers into emeralds, or maybe he already removed it again :(