TiCon2 Bows and Xbows: the new deal

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I don't care about realism in a game where critters can sneak up behind you and explode, I just want to be able to one-shot the damned things at a distance fast enough to not get mobbed.

And a square dirt clod can be stacked horizontally with no support to infinity...

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I may have to revise my numbers as they seem to be incorrect. An Electrum limbed crossbow (electrum limb, paper binding, cobalt tough rod, bowstring) with Many tipped bolts (feather fletching, wood shaft) can one-shot everything I've tested it on so far, including Fallen Knights and Wither Cats from EnderIO, even at a range where the damage should be significantly lower than their hit points. As a result, I will be doing more comprehensive testing to come up with what is actually going on here.

Also, an addendum to crossbows which I like: Right click and hold to reload. Letting go loads the bolt. Then right click again to fire, but if you hold down the right click, it will draw back immediately. This makes it, effectively, bolt-action, and a nice compromise. I feel this is more balanced against bows, simply in reverse. Once you load your crossbow, your shot goes off immediately, then has time to reload, instead of drawing back to fire and firing. Either way, you've got a delay between shots, however the crossbow fires immediately whereas the bow is generally faster (all other things being equal) and has no reload time after the shot.

I will be doing more testing and release the findings once I am confident of their accuracy.

T

taxableduck6671

So I know this has nothing to do with what your talking about but can someone please help me download this mod pack!?!? Please and thanks! Maybe a link to a YouTube video would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
So I know this has nothing to do with what your talking about but can someone please help me download this mod pack!?!? Please and thanks! Maybe a link to a YouTube video would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which mod pack are you wanting to download? If it is my pack (ShneekeyCraft) it is available for download through the ATLauncher. Under the packs tab, you can search either by scrolling down the list, or by typing 'Shneekey' into the search bar at the top, which should bring it up immediately. Then you just click either 'New Instance' or 'Create Server' depending on how you would like to play it. Either way, enjoy!

S

ServerLagger™

I don't care about realism in a game where critters can sneak up behind you and explode, I just want to be able to one-shot the damned things at a distance fast enough to not get mobbed.
Manyulllyn/Paper/Endstone/Bone Shurikens with the right amount of Quartz and Blaze Powder will surely do the trick iirc.

As far as bows go, I like the direction this has taken, and I love Magma Slime crossbows with Steel head / Blaze rod / Feather fletching bolts to snipe these pesky ghasts in the Nether / to remedy for my low bow skills.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
+1 for Tinkers Construct. Hands down my favorite mod. I had a bit of a sour taste in my mouth with the 1.0.0 revamp but now that I have experimented with the alloys, I find I like it better in many ways. The only thing I miss is that certain alloy that is no longer there and flux.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Manyulllyn/Paper/Endstone/Bone Shurikens with the right amount of Quartz and Blaze Powder will surely do the trick iirc.

As far as bows go, I like the direction this has taken, and I love Magma Slime crossbows with Steel head / Blaze rod / Feather fletching bolts to snipe these pesky ghasts in the Nether / to remedy for my low bow skills.
That seems like a very poor tool for sniping ghasts with. A better idea would be a crossbow made of Paper binding, Cobalt rod, Electrum limb, and regular bowstring. Since the only properties the bow/crossbow confer to the shot is the bow limb's modifier for arrow draw speed and damage, the rest is immaterial. Blaze rod shaft a) is sub-optimal for shooting ghasts since they are immune to fire, and b) have a really lousy durability meaning fewer shots. Go with Steel head/Wood (or treated wood) shaft/feather fletching instead. The ecological trait gives you regenerating bolts and treated wood actually has a bonus to stack size, which means you can fire longer and can afford to miss more frequently, being more forgiving to someone with poor aiming skills.

+1 for Tinkers Construct. Hands down my favorite mod. I had a bit of a sour taste in my mouth with the 1.0.0 revamp but now that I have experimented with the alloys, I find I like it better in many ways. The only thing I miss is that certain alloy that is no longer there and flux.
Both of these items were added on by other mods. Fluxed came from Thermal Expansion, and the certain alloy you are talking about (I'm assuming Signalum or Enderium) came from Thermal Foundation and the IMBA stats they possessed came from the additional addon crossover mod ExtraTiC. Since neither of these mods exist in 1.10.2 (yet), neither does these items.

S

ServerLagger™

@shneekythelost, blaze rod bolt cores actually slow down the bolt but make it travel on a straighter line. Magma Slime is used for the limb due to its abundance in my system, and durability of bolts is not really a problem due to me mass-producing it and really needing the bolts in very few occasions, given that my shurikens of doom cover any mid-to-meelee targets.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
@shneekythelost, blaze rod bolt cores actually slow down the bolt but make it travel on a straighter line. Magma Slime is used for the limb due to its abundance in my system, and durability of bolts is not really a problem due to me mass-producing it and really needing the bolts in very few occasions, given that my shurikens of doom cover any mid-to-meelee targets.
Anything that reduces arrow speed is bad when you are sniping, Endstone Rod would be far superior. Ghasts move fast enough, and their hitbox is deceptively small enough, that something floating like a blaze rod core arrow or bolt is never going to hit except by blind luck or amazing predictive powers and leading your target appropriately.

Then again, when I refer to sniping, I'm generally talking 50+ block range. That may be in excess of where you're trying to shoot.

Which is insanely, the wrong way. It should go straighter when it goes FASTER.
The property is called 'hovering', I take it to mean that the substance is somewhat lighter-than-air so that the weight overall of the projectile has neutral buoyancy with respect to the atmosphere.

T

taxableduck6671

so how do i get this mod pack to launch with forge?? because it is curently not doing so!??

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Okay... this is very interesting.

I was using MmmMmmMmmMmm (the Test Dummy mod) to test the damage, however it was by no means accurately reporting the damage I was doing. Using an Electrum-limbed crossbow and bolts consisting of Many head, blaze rod shaft and feather fletching, it was doing 23 damage a hit if the Damage Indicators mod I was using is accurate. Which I find most interesting because it was at a range that it was reporting as doing 5 damage by the test dummy. Obviously, I need a better system of determining damage.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
so how do i get this mod pack to launch with forge?? because it is curently not doing so!??
Umm... I have no clue what you are talking about. The pack already has forge built in. You run it through the ATLauncher, or through MMC if you prefer. Forge isn't a launcher, so it can't really 'launch' anything.