TickThreading - concurrent entity/tile entity ticks and other optimisations

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
This project has been discontinued.

TickThreading is not 100% stable. Please make sure to keep regular backups if you use it.
Make sure to check the mod compatibility list on the wiki before installation.

1.6.4 Testing build: latest very unstable
1.4.7 Stable build: latest

1.5.2 Discontinued build: latest

What it does:

* Ticks multiple worlds at the same time in different threads
* Ticks multiple entities and tile entities within worlds at the same time in different threads
* Performs movement updates in network threads, so players will move smoothly even if TPS is bad
* Adds profiling tools which allow you to find what's being slow
* Performs chunk loading and chunk generation asynchronously - no lag spikes from players logging in or teleporting
* Replacement mob spawning algorithm which is faster than in vanilla, while also fixing a long-standing bug causing mobs from to spawn underground too much during the day preventing any spawning at night
* Improved collision code which can handle thousands of mobs in a single block space without terrible TPS. Will still break clients.
* Many more small tweaks to minecraft's internals and other mods, both to improve performance and ensure that multithreading doesn't break everything.

Installation guide:

https://github.com/nallar/TickThreading/blob/master/INSTALL.md

Will this magically fix everything and make your TPS 20 with no CPU load? No. It should improve TPS, but I can give no guarantees. If performance is terrible, follow the guide on the wiki to record a profiling snapshot with jvisualvm so I can fix it.

Commands:

See the wiki.

What to do when everything breaks:

Make an issue here, paste logs to http://gist.github.com/, pastie or pastebin. Make sure to give the full log - there's not much I can do if you only give me part of the problem!

Changelog:

See the commit log here: https://github.com/nallar/TickThreading/commits/master

Acknowledgements

YourKit is kindly supporting open source projects with its full-featured Java Profiler. YourKit, LLC is the creator of innovative and intelligent tools for profiling Java and .NET applications. Take a look at YourKit's leading software products:YourKit Java Profiler and YourKit .NET Profiler.

Last edited:

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
TileEntity ticks are more important on large servers, although entity ticks can easily become important when players have thousands of passive mobs in farms.

edit: Or after using mining lasers on scatter...

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
As of about an hour ago, the last major bug we were able to find in testing is fixed - steve's carts doesn't crash clients. This may actually be usable on a non-testing server, I know Dethemium has been running it for a few days now without major issues.

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
Is there an SSP version?

edit: No, there isn't any more, as there's absolutely no need to use it in SSP - it will make no noticeable difference in most cases.

It works in SSP, following the same instructions. There isn't as much reason to use it in SSP though - most time is normally spent rendering.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Looks to be a good idea. Now lts hope its a great implementation :D.

Il be keeping track on this, and trying it for myself once a more "stable" version is out :)

Sp0nge

Jul 29, 2019
The build is starting to get really stable now. Still some "minor issues" to resort. Been testing this for a few days now on a testserver with a few people, and its now almost playable nomatter what you do :)

ncreen_same

Jul 29, 2019
This is really interesting, the /tps command alone makes it useful, is it possible to use the same approach on terrain gen?

AliasXNeo

Jul 29, 2019
Will be testing this on our new FTB server. So far it's been working flawlessly, hitting 20 TPS with no problems.

Puremin0rez

Jul 29, 2019
Have been using this for the past week and he was able to very quickly fix any deadlocks or issues I found.

Highly recommend this! Nallar is a great developer and fixes issues quickly and is willing to work with people to fix them.

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
edit: Disregard that, v7 is fine as long as you change the config to get rid of some bugged bees.

NooBxGockeL

Jul 29, 2019
Well then it was the Tickthreading that caused sooo much problems...
f.e. Exception in server tick, out of memory(still had ~300 mb free -.-") stuff like that, will pm you tomorow with some logs so you might figure it out...
For now i sadly had to switch back to v6 without the Tickthreading.

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
f.e. Exception in server tick, out of memory(still had ~300 mb free -.-") stuff like that, will pm you tomorow with some logs so you might figure it out...

If it's due to being out of heap space, it means what it says - you're out of memory.

edit: Oh, you have bad timing. Recent builds are a bit broken. By a bit I mean completely! :(

Puremin0rez

Jul 29, 2019

If it's due to being out of heap space, it means what it says - you're out of memory.

edit: Oh, you have bad timing. Recent builds are a bit broken. By a bit I mean completely! :(

Hey NoobX,

Build 289 is a pretty perfect build and you should give it a shot - I have no idea about the newer builds, but since nallar said they're broken - i'll assume that