Thoughts on Teleportation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AliasXNeo

Jul 29, 2019
Well, considering neither Logistic Pipes nor Redpower 2 were updated (officially for LP) until now, and now one of them are available, that would certainly qualify as getting intelligent sorting back without making any sort of comment on whether LP is intelligent or not as it is still not in.

There's an official version of LP out? And the 'unofficial' version of LP has been going for some time now. I started using it about 6 weeks ago, so we've had 'intelligent sorting' for at least that long.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Not in the pack, we haven't. The pack team is waiting on the official version to finish being updated to include it.

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
I find it more fun to use non teleporting systems to transport stuff, in an old world I pumped lava out of a volcano and pipe it a few hundred blocks to my power station base. And when the lava ran out I used EE to create lava buckets and had RP deployers placing the lava just so I could carry on pumping it through my pipes.

I think now I will use railcraft to move stuff long distances, just need to play with how trains work first so I don't need to place a ton of chunk loaders.

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
step 1 make a portal frame and put a receptacle on it.
step 2 make a linking book while standing in front of this portal.
step 3 go to the destination for this portal trough other means of travel.
step 4 make the second portal frame and put a receptacle on it.
Step 5 put the first linking book in. you should now have an active portal.
step 6 make a new linking book in front of this now active portal
step 7 step trough portal.
Step 8 put the new book into the receptacle of the first portal.
Step 9 Profit

I know you misspoke when you said to stand "in front" of the first portal (instead of looking away), but it just occurred to me that you could easily make a horrible infinite-falling trap this way thanks to the fact that portals preserve momentum, and that you can make them facing up/down..

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I know you misspoke when you said to stand "in front" of the first portal (instead of looking away), but it just occurred to me that you could easily make a horrible infinite-falling trap this way thanks to the fact that portals preserve momentum, and that you can make them facing up/down..

I did that to a cow once. :D
Was really funny too, until the cow glitched out on world reload...

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Just hope that the person doesn't have a jetpack or mining laser... Although you can also make two portals link directly to each other.

Another really bad / annoying trap has to do with forestry machines. (If you place forestry machines in a box around the spawn of a world, and set them to private, no-one can get out. If you combine this with Redpower + wireless redstone CBE (with private channels), you can actually make a machine that only allows selected people access to a Mystcraft age - have the only book in tp people to a box of forestry machines, with a frame contraption to pull out part of the box on a (correct) wireless redstone signal. Pity it only works with CBE - I used to use this contraption on my last server, which was a "almost-everything-goes" server. As far as I could tell, I was the only person actually built anything permanent. If anyone has any other ideas for what to use for the key, that would be swell. I've been thinking about using maps, but that's difficult to setup.)

Azurren

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys! I tend to agree with the majority of views here

Agreed, one of my main power gen. is pumping lava from the nether, through Myst portals, into a tank, into about 28 geothermal gen.'s. Fills up a single MFSU very very quickly, faster than a Nuke. reactor. Although, just 7 of the geothermal gen.'s takes a little more than a stack of iron and a moderate amount of rubber. But other then that, its pretty beast.
Infinite, cheap EU with little effort.. This is one of the things which completely imbalances IC2 and UU matter generation :(
And, once invested in, it costs nothing to keep running almost indefinitely

Imho Railcraft needs another look, perhaps make the tier-1 rails cheaper and increase the speed of the t2 rails (High-speed / re-enforced ) to make them more viable
Wooden rails are an option but a waste of creosote oil

mfgamesys

Jul 29, 2019
I use a HP (32 tanks) steam boiler (with bc fuel) for power mostly and move the oil via mystcraft portals and railcraft tank carts and its easy to setup another oil source when one depletes just setup a pump and a liquid loader and a portal and your good to go. I sometimes feel like a oil exploration company sometimes lol. Also I don't touch ender chests for their string of bugs(just my personal choice) so I use mystcraft portals for my quarrys to send the items back to my base and have them drop onto an obsidian pipe and to be sorted from there.

Don't know why there is a need to use bc tele pipes anymore, I like building my teleportation system instead of placing two pipes down seems too easy imo.