Thoughts on Teleportation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Azurren

Jul 29, 2019
This is an open discussion thread, there is no Right or Wrong here :)

I have been giving teleportation a lot of thought recently. My first ever heavily modded minecraft world heavily utilized teleportation using both item and liquid teleport pipes, Thaumcraft 2 portals and enderchests.

Yet when I was reaching the end of the world (To many mods, to many updates, to many Pre-releases and betas causing constant crashes) I noticed that I had completely neglected Railcraft
One of my all-time favorite mods (It just gels with minecraft so well)

The reason was that telepot pipes and enderchests were just so cheap, easier and a lot more effective. From that time onwards I've never used teleport pipes or enderchest, instead using the slow and expensive railcraft mod instead (A lot more fun!)

Also some examples of complex and fun builds by-passed using teleporters:

Huge magtube line sending items quickly back to base:​
Replacement: Enderchest placed next to quarry​
Geothermals powered by a mobile, frame underground lava pumping and drilling platform:​
Replacement: Nether pumping station using enderchests or Mystcraft portals​
Underground Tube Network linking several key areas together using minecrafts, switches and signals​
Replacement: Linking books..​

So now with PortalGun being a "core-mod", Mistcrafts portals and intra-age linking books replacing a lot of Direwolf 20's newest and most complicated builds do you feel they are a little (Or very) OP?
I myself use portalgun a lot as it's so annoying to treck half-way across your world to you're new build only to find you've forgotten your restriction tube. I don't, however use portal spawners

Teleportation is a mixed blessing. Some people wanting a challenge will ignore these items and build alteranatives themselves. However some will just become reliant on these things and won't even give a thought to Railways or Magtubes..

If you owned a server would you limit / disable some of these items? Would you even go as far as to request they be removed from the XYZ pack on FTB?
In any case, thanks for reading!

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I think the Portal items just need appropriately higher expense. Unfortunately Enderpearls do not make for an effective ammo mechanic due to how pathetically easy they are to accumulate thanks to the pathetically barren End overrun by easy to cheese Endermen.

IC2 teleportation at least costs a lot of power depending on your inventory, when that's on. That provides some incentive to use other systems for certain purposes.

Enderchests are probably a little too powerful and a little too cheap. I'm surprised that people actually consider them too expensive to spam given what they do. Look at what Eloraam did with her Turtle army and Enderchests. And the enderpouches! The ability to send IC2 gear back to your workshop for a quick recharge no matter where you are is absurd. Buildcraft gates do have the necessary support to do this.

Mystcraft is OP, plain and simple. Everything is too cheap, and the only significant challenge is obtaining all the symbols, a task so horribly tedious and luck driven that the mod maker recommends just cheating. It's a very incomplete mod, and the mod maker is planning to make the link book modifications, symbols, and stuff in general have more of a progression and have a more interesting method to obtain them. But until it actually does have a "tech tree" of some sort, it's only there to be abused. :/

Railcraft needs more love. It has so much potential for fun but is brushed aside so much in the name of convenience and expedience.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
To me the main problem with railcraft is its reliance on loading a ton of chunks between locations to safely transport items. Whether it is via a anchor cart linked to a train or via the new mini anchors it just gets a little crazy. Especially on servers where you want as little of the world loaded at any given time as you can due to memory limits. In addition their is the insane amount of iron and other resources needed to make a long rail line that takes time to setup and tear down once it fulfilled its purpose. So it's uses for transportation are a bit limited by the nature of minecraft grant it the whole concept behind the mod is awesome its just hard to justify it against its more server friendly competitors.

Reactions: Tylor

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019
OP or not, i take the ender chests for example because it just makes it easier to transport stuff. no need to overcomplicate yourself or "study" a guide to build a complicated system that is simply going to do the same thing.....

Kelmian

Jul 29, 2019
I feel that railcraft should have an early/mid/end game caveat that no other mod should have. Something that makes it unique and makes players want to effectively utilize the entirety of the mod.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea how that's possible when its primary function is transportation and Mystcraft can travel farther, faster, and askew.

Reactions: Kelmian

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Railcraft is very low-lag, but just too expensive to compete with other transport systems.
On the other hand, it can be used WITH Mystcraft for long-range item transport.

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft is very low-lag, but just too expensive to compete with other transport systems.

This. Railcraft PLUS Mystcraft is a killer combo.

gusgillis1

Jul 29, 2019
This. Railcraft PLUS Mystcraft is a killer combo.
Agreed, one of my main power gen. is pumping lava from the nether, through Myst portals, into a tank, into about 28 geothermal gen.'s. Fills up a single MFSU very very quickly, faster than a Nuke. reactor. Although, just 7 of the geothermal gen.'s takes a little more than a stack of iron and a moderate amount of rubber. But other then that, its pretty beast.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
railcraft is just one of those mods you have to choose to use. it does not fulfill any key task by itself that cannot be done cheaper by other mod's, but boy does it add a tonne of style to the process :cool:

I also find that all the teleporting is cheapening gameplay wise tho. I try to not abuse it too much, so while i use the portal gun while building to get an easy way home to fetch stuff and whatnot, i won't be making any travel networks. I strongly prefer to travel by rail whenever i have it available.

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
Because making the quarry spit out to a chain of Aerial Faith Plates makes a lot of NOISE.

We just got mag-tubes and intelligent sorting back yesterday.

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019

i still have not learn how to use mystcraft portals to teleport from one place to another within the same world....

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
i still have not learn how to use mystcraft portals to teleport from one place to another within the same world....
step 1 make a portal frame and put a receptacle on it.
step 2 make a linking book while standing in front of this portal.
step 3 go to the destination for this portal trough other means of travel.
step 4 make the second portal frame and put a receptacle on it.
Step 5 put the first linking book in. you should now have an active portal.
step 6 make a new linking book in front of this now active portal
step 7 step trough portal.
Step 8 put the new book into the receptacle of the first portal.
Step 9 Profit

Variations:
Try to stand very close to the portal with your back towards it when creating the linking books. this makes it look like you actually stepped trough a 2 way portal.
Make a portal landing pad where all your incoming portals link to. that way you can make a computerized portal system with redpower computers. (very cool)

Reactions: Scghost

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
He said within the same world.

That requires a Link Modifier. Place a book in it and it will let you set it an Intralinking book, which is what you need for within world travel.

Reactions: Scghost

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, considering neither Logistic Pipes nor Redpower 2 were updated (officially for LP) until now, and now one of them are available, that would certainly qualify as getting intelligent sorting back without making any sort of comment on whether LP is intelligent or not as it is still not in.