Thinking about setting up a 1.10 pack for myself, not sure though

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I have to admit, as cool as it looks, I can't really bring myself to like Actually Additions. It's a fantastic mod, but I think I had one of those moments where: EVERYONE is using this mod, and I'm over saturated with it. We need power... Canola Generators!

I agree that it's the new hotness, but it has a bunch of very handy stuff which makes it worth getting into. Since it isn't exactly a compilation of non-connected blocks, and it actually has a tech tree of sorts, the tendency is to use more of it than you expected when you first started in after that one thing.

Canola/Oil Generation took off because it filled a needed gap in the early game power market. Other early game options include: Immersive Engineering wind and water, which, while passive and free, don't provide much overall power unless you spam them, which isn't exactly efficient either; XU Culinary Generator, which has been done to death and was never a great thematic piece; several forms of coal/charcoal generators, which again have been done to death, and ultimately rely on a decent tree farm; lava power *yawn*; or maybe wait until you can build a small Extreme Reactor like we've done for years. I'm not saying Canola is any better than any of these (except pumping the Nether dry *yawn*), but it's a new engineering challenge with new pieces and new possible mod combinations. New is fresh, and fresh is good. I get the whole, "Ugh, everyone is doing that, so I don't want to" line of thinking, but we can't be expected to be excited doing the same things over and over again - that's why we updated in the first place.

If that's not your cup of tea, there is a Bioreactor akin to the MFR Bioreactor/Biofuel Generator combo which is something slightly different. Up to eight bio products can be used at once with power output going up for each different kind of material pumped in. I don't have hard numbers on it yet, as it's on my "look at" list this world, but I'm thinking it's how I'm going to dispose of farm overflow.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
My favorite bit actually turned out to be the Phantomface's, which are something that Thaumic Tinkerer started, and it's nice to have a tech equivalent of.

It's more a matter of I can't do anything new with it, because it's been done already.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Not to be the bearer of bad news but Azanor released a message on his patreon today that development of TC for 1.10.2 and beyond is ceasing due to RL issues.

I respect his decision and have learned to play without it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Since the last version was for 1.7.10, it's not that big of a stretch. On the other hand, he's only said he doesn't have have free time for it, so he may return to it, just can't develop it now.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Since the last version was for 1.7.10, it's not that big of a stretch. On the other hand, he's only said he doesn't have have free time for it, so he may return to it, just can't develop it now.
1.8 had a version of Thaumcraft, the one with the Golem Factory. I'm trying to put together a 1.8 pack for my personal use to try it out. In fact, it was not only one of the first mods ever released for 1.8, and one of the most fully developed mods for 1.8 before everyone jumped the wagon for 1.10, but probably one of the few mods which would encourage me to play in 1.8 since most of the other mods were... well, let's just say most of them never got off of Forgecraft before the version iteration.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I was curious as to why Azanor decided to start again from scratch on his way to 1.10. From what I had seen way back when 1.8 was discovered to be a monumental change, Azanor was very much hesitant to make all of the changes it would take to move, and he stated that if it were to happen he would likely rewrite the mod in it's entirety. He then surprised most by being the first major mod on the move to 1.8 (with the full rewrite, from what I gather), only to decide to rewrite it again on it's move to 1.10. Unfortunately, the 1.8 version will never be ported forward, and the 1.10 version will likely never be finished, leaving many to never experience TC beyond TC4.

Maybe I'm wrong on some of this, as I've stopped dwelling on the TC forums some time ago (mid 1.7 era), but it seems like an awful lot of wasted effort. I'm not knocking him for doing it (hell, it's his mod and his time), but it does make me selfishly wish he had concentrated his efforts on pushing some form of useable mod into the 1.10 era.

After reading through the thread again, it makes me wonder if this pack wouldn't end up being a "Where are they now?" more than a full nostalgia dip.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Maybe I'm wrong on some of this, as I've stopped dwelling on the TC forums some time ago (mid 1.7 era), but it seems like an awful lot of wasted effort. I'm not knocking him for doing it (hell, it's his mod and his time), but it does make me selfishly wish he had concentrated his efforts on pushing some form of useable mod into the 1.10 era.
More a bad gamble than anything else. Bear in mind that we had reasonably stable modded-community-landings at 1.4.7, 1.6.4 and 1.7.10. There was a sizeable contigent which felt that 1.8.x was the next big thing. Some devs were leery (for instance, Reika) and steered clear (possibly a bad example, he hasn't ported past 1.7.10 yet)

Ultimately we seem to have settled on a bit of a messy combination of 1.10.2 and 1.12.2, with the fortunate blessing (for us players) being that there's little difference between the two, such that many devs simply program towards both simultaneously.

Like many here, I'm bummed: I really wanted to try the new TC toys, but I have zero interest in getting into a 1.8.9 pack.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I was sitting here wondering when Thaumcraft was going to make it to 1.10 so I can finally give it a real go. I can't go back to 1.7 now, either. So I'm super bummed. It's like your dad telling you you're gonna stop for icecream, but then he forgot :(

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It sounds like 1.10 required some back end work, and it's always been easier for Azanor to start over, rather than try and rework. That's why it was on TC5.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It was my understanding that he was wanting to clean up a bunch of back-end stuff. Basically his back end code was apparently layers of patches on patches, and he wanted to toss it all and start from scratch on a more efficient foundation. Which he had been planning on getting around to 'one of these days'.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I can't really blame him. I do the exact same thing: A significant upgrade may trigger a overhaul because 3-years-ago-me can never seem to code worth crap.

Reactions: Inaeo

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Hrm. TechReborn? Looks like another add-on for IC2. Might make this world my obligatory "ah soddit, i'll use IC2 power for my base this time round" world. I usually have one per generation XD

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hrm. TechReborn? Looks like another add-on for IC2. Might make this world my obligatory "ah soddit, i'll use IC2 power for my base this time round" world. I usually have one per generation XD
Its actually a standalone which credits IC2 and GT for inspiration. It actually looks rather nice except that it utilizes a single dimensional power system (RF) which is unappealing to me for a GT stand-in.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Its actually a standalone which credits IC2 and GT for inspiration. It actually looks rather nice except that it utilizes a single dimensional power system (RF) which is unappealing to me for a GT stand-in.

So it uses IC2's aesthetic and component recipes but it's actually an RF mod? That's...odd

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So it uses IC2's aesthetic and component recipes but it's actually an RF mod? That's...odd
I know we're splitting hairs here, but I'd argue its GT's aesthetic (but better). And yeah, my understanding is its RF-compatible, probably WhateverForgeEnergyIsCalledAgain-compatible, and probably loosely IC2 compatible.

Actually, I can just look this up:

http://ftb.gamepedia.com/TechReborn

RF, Tesla, EU. But I doubt the EU is two-dimensional.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
I've not used it myself, but it has transformers and I've seen lots of complaints from folk who've blown up equipment, so I think it's still got some complexity. If you use external wiring or switch it to use RF internally, it (usually) autoselects the right packet size, though, so effectively one-dimensional in larger packs, though.

Was pretty buggy the last time I'd tried it, though.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Far as I can tell, it's actually just plain running Forge Energy. It lists everything as FE. Probably the simplest way in a pack. Anyone know which machine to start with? There's no clear 'macerator/furnace' option like IC2.