Things to automate?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
M

MikW

I'm currently playing ATM 3, it's an extremely big pack with almost all mods, from every category (tech, magic, exploration, etc.) in it. Any ideas on things to automate? I prefer non-OP endgame items, but not mundane things too.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Botania is a treasure trove of interesting automation challenges.

There is, of course, your standard "Automate the wither" build, which has a decent degree of freedom in how you approach it.

Similarly, coming up with new ways to automate common things, or using mods you don't normally use for something, or even using an unusual combination of mods. Examples: Cobble Works build (your basic materials), tree farm, farm in general. I had particular fun one playthrough using botania for my tree farm (with the bonus of using the leaf eating generator for my mana gen).

If you're willing to add mods, there's an add-on to Embers called Soot, which adds several things (and also changes some things, most notably the ash amounts needed for transmutation though I think there's a way to turn that off). With it, you could automate transmutation recipes. Or you could try figuring out how to automate with existing mods.

Thaumcraft, automating common alchemy recipes.

Basically, look for new stuff or new ways to do stuff, and you should come up with plenty ideas.

Reactions: Brian Cherrick

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Everything, automate everything

Literally. Everything.

I've reached the point where I have taken this attitude into real life. I'm buying a house right now and all I can think about is how many roombas I will need and which assistant AI is going to run my thermostat.

I've literally been trying to automate automation itself. Hell, at this point, I'm surprised I haven't written a program to play Minecraft for me.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Literally. Everything.

I've reached the point where I have taken this attitude into real life. I'm buying a house right now and all I can think about is how many roombas I will need and which assistant AI is going to run my thermostat.

I've literally been trying to automate automation itself. Hell, at this point, I'm surprised I haven't written a program to play Minecraft for me.
This. That's what Krakaen went for, and by and large managed it! Believe me, there's so many random crafting things, some of which are challenging to automate, that going for as many as possible is a cool goal :)

M

MikW

Currently setting up AE2 autocrafting for simpler stuff. I'm kinda new and this is my first time using AE2 to its full potential. I learned most stuff from tutorials on YouTube. How large do you build your AE2 setups?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Eventually, pretty large for me. While its not perfect, it can do most autocrafting really nicely, if necessary combined with things like conduits and so on to make sure the right items get to the right places in the right amounts.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Currently setting up AE2 autocrafting for simpler stuff. I'm kinda new and this is my first time using AE2 to its full potential. I learned most stuff from tutorials on YouTube. How large do you build your AE2 setups?
Large enough for it to start taking several minutes to update when making changes/additions to the network :p

For me the most fun use of AE2 is trying to minimize the number of channels used. You can do this pretty effectively by creating combos with other automation/pipes/whatever.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Large enough for it to start taking several minutes to update when making changes/additions to the network :p

For me the most fun use of AE2 is trying to minimize the number of channels used. You can do this pretty effectively by creating combos with other automation/pipes/whatever.
I'm going to be taxing my ability to do this in A PolyChromatic World - the AE2 recipes are highly altered to integrate Thaumcraft, and controllers are very expensive, so I'm going to have an ad-hoc network as my first one for quite a while I suspect. And even when I DO start getting controllers, I'm going to want to make as few as possible - so between P2P and minimising channels through clever automation, that should be a challenge!

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Take it to a meta level.

Create a self-aware crafting system that can automate manual tasks without your oversight. Essentially automating your automations for you.

Praises be to Colin

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019

Just a heads up, Refined Storage is far easier to automate and can be done way earlier in the game than AE2.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
True, RS automations start to have major issues once the systems gets too big or complex. Works yes, but not as robust at AE2.