These are required for administration

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Phat32 said:
I can think of way too many open holes with grief protection that doesn't make it with using. For example, someone runs around throwing Nazi symbols everywhere, you can use that nature tool sure, but how do you know who did it? Who do you ban? You have no idea. What about the big open builds that dont have a claim? If it gets stuff added all over or windows are broken you now have to manually fix it cause grief protection doesn't keep backups. I can see the use of it for some cases and sure, but you still want the safety and security that block logging offers. Even if its just block logging without rolling back. Admins need a way to hold players accountable for their actions.

Again I have to agree with Phat32. Sure GriefProtection is excellent in preventing grief on players and server areas but it's not perfect and Phat32 added a great example with the offensive structures that can be created. Additionally, GriefProtection is a plugin that you have to learn to use, and if you have new players who are still adjusting to the mods throwing less-than user friendly plugins into the mix won't help, it will cause server staff to spend additional time answering questions (and yes you can place instructions in the spawn but that also takes time). Don't get me wrong, GriefProtection isn't a bad or difficult plugin at all, but, alas, we all know that not all players are in the same IQ level. :p

GreedSeed said:
Ass off comments to you both, its still a personal choice chat you use. But it is a fact what uses more power from your server system, and LWC is not a easy one on that.
Also hawkeye or coreportect are nice but once you start rolling back and such you strain your server to the limit.

I agree those plugins can sure suck up server resources, specially CoreProtect. I've never used HawkEye and can't vouch for it but I do know that CoreProtect allows you to (apart from identifying the soon-to-be-jailed player) specify the variables of the rollback such as the user, time, radius, etc. For example, if you wanted to remove a swastika you can just stand next to it and rollback all the blocks placed by that player in a small 10 block radius and based on the results you get from the wand you can specify the time as well (I.E: /co rollback u:quewhat t:2h r:10). This is MUCH easier on the server than having to rollback the whole server or all the players.

Again, it all depends on the server's needs. The server I own isn't towny and therefore we don't really need any area protection/ownerships. We do have a server shops area where players can own plots but for that admins simply use the /eco take user $# command to remove the specified funds and then use WorldGuard (along with WorldEdit of course) to assign that area to that specific player. Our server has only 2gb ram and 20 slots but we rarely ever have lag (except that one time that I thought I could /nuke only a specific player, woops!).

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Nope griefprevention actually tracks some block "symbols"
and if you got good protection they wont be able to destroy any blocks.

I have bin and still am a server admin for over 2 years on servers larger then 70 players online at one time. (this is how i got this moderator job on FTB) And i can tell you. if you have decent "grief prevention" plugins, you RARELY use Hawkeye. dont say its not handy to have, just saying its a very rare use.

Phat32

Jul 29, 2019
I do the same. I am a live streamer and when I launched my FTB server 2-3 days ago on stream we had 50 people in right away and right now we have around 20+ people and its the middle of the work day. I have been admining servers for 2-3 years before this as well. I personally find tools like hawkeye very handy for block logging and all that so we can hold a player accountable. My other admins have previously looked at Grief Protection and came to the same conclusion i have without me even knowing about it.

I am not arguing that its a handy plugin, I like parts of what it does. But other parts I am not the biggest fan of. I can see the benifits of running it sure, but I would still require a block logging plugin. Like I said even just for tracking, it doesn't have to have rollback abilities. Just the ability to check on a block and find out who did it.

I am running a 100 slot server ATM with 10GB of the 24GB of ram avaliable to the FTB server. I have a dedicated server box running many servers at once, its stupidly powerful so attaching to a MySQL server is trivial and won't come close to impacting preformance

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
I am running a 100 slot server ATM with 10GB of the 24GB of ram avaliable to the FTB server. I have a dedicated server box running many servers at once, its stupidly powerful so attaching to a MySQL server is trivial and won't come close to impacting preformance

I can tell you that even the higher machine will feel impact from this. If you have only 5 online users you wont. But i am talking about 200 slot servers with at least 70 online at one time.

We are past the "dedicated server host" and we OWN our own hardware. We build our own machine and manage it. we physically have our own datacenter and have our own Linux manager, Java manager, web dev... and so on.

i mean we are running 192 gig ram servers with 24 threads of pure power, not that the 24 threads matter since Minecraft is still a single core. but we had some ingenieus applications that would help spread the load up to 3 core's

and still i can promise you. the moment you start a rollback on a server with 70 online, you will notice that loads start to spike and hitting the tops of your capability's

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I like about CoreProtect; no need to setup MySQL, and although this plugin isn't recommended for small servers due to the resources it uses I have to say it runs on my 2GB server just fine.

GreedSeed, I believe you admin a private/whitelist server correct? Those are much easier to admin since you are able to be selective to a degree as far as who joins in which would explain why you make do with just GriefProtection. Whereas open servers need to rely on the block logging plugins more since you are open for all, including the Nazis and creeper-wannabes. GriefProtection is great though for townies, I can't say I haven't enjoyed playing in a few servers that have it before. Anyway I'm not arguing, just conversing :D

EDIT: GreedSeed you bring up a good point, can't argue with that. Pop. size does matter for those plugins

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I like about CoreProtect; no need to setup MySQL, and although this plugin isn't recommended for small servers due to the resources it uses I have to say it runs on my 2GB server just fine.

GreedSeed, I believe you admin a private/whitelist server correct? Those are much easier to admin since you are able to be selective to a degree as far as who joins in which would explain why you make do with just GriefProtection. Whereas open servers need to rely on the block logging plugins more since you are open for all, including the Nazis and creeper-wannabes. GriefProtection is great though for townies, I can't say I haven't enjoyed playing in a few servers that have it before. Anyway I'm not arguing, just conversing :D

Graylisted. And even then 99% of all applications got accepted. the only reason we had a graylist was since we NEED players to create a account on the site since we have ranking system on our server. and the only one's we filtered out are members that have 10+ bans on whitelist.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
GreedSeed said:
Graylisted. And even then 99% of all applications got accepted. the only reason we had a graylist was since we NEED players to create a account on the site since we have ranking system on our server. and the only one's we filtered out are members that have 10+ bans on whitelist.

Well then, ya'll are doing something right that I'm not, I get almost the same equivalent of griefers/idiots as I get honest players :D. Hats of to ya.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
xD well griefer can easily be stopped :p Our community took care of them most of the time. We only had 1 to 2 grief reports a weak, thats a very small number for a large server like that.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Just don't try to /nuke griefers like I did, it doesn't work :p (I'm probably the only one that didn't know that until I tried it.) Anyway, getting off topic sorry :D

Phat32

Jul 29, 2019
I can tell you that even the higher machine will feel impact from this. If you have only 5 online users you wont. But i am talking about 200 slot servers with at least 70 online at one time.

We are past the "dedicated server host" and we OWN our own hardware. We build our own machine and manage it. we physically have our own datacenter and have our own Linux manager, Java manager, web dev... and so on.

i mean we are running 192 gig ram servers with 24 threads of pure power, not that the 24 threads matter since Minecraft is still a single core. but we had some ingenieus applications that would help spread the load up to 3 core's

and still i can promise you. the moment you start a rollback on a server with 70 online, you will notice that loads start to spike and hitting the tops of your capability's
Mine is a dedicated server that I own and managed myself. I have some other people who know what they are doing starting to help me. So far the performance we have seen has been excellent in the past year+ that we have run hawkeye.

As for spreading the load how did you do that one? I can't be sure if mine is or not, and it would surely help.

ShadowSkippie

Jul 29, 2019
I think the question i'd like to ask is this

Greed, you are co are working on some plugins now, you stated that these plugins are for griefer protection. do these plugins include any logging tools in it
We are going to be using other mods for now, we are not terribly impressed with them but they will do until you have pushed out the altered plugins :)

our server is a small South African server running within an ISPs gaming server environment....lets say they have sponsored us this server :)
(the games admin has come to us and said the resources that we ask for for our Tekkit server would run 20 COD servers :p, i have a feeling the FTB one will be the same :D )
we run it through a whitelist, ppl have to sign into the forum, read the terms and conditions and then sign our whitelist thread. from there we let them on the server, there is no ressing, no house protection, the plebs must secure there belongings themselves. we find the use of logging tools important because every now and then we get a spontaneous griefer, not often but sometimes. the logging tools allow us to find the guy and ban him.

Our rules are set in stone and everyone who joins this server has to read it. they allow for allot of player fun and on the odd occasion PVP :D but if any of the rules are crossed it is an instant ban. this method has allowed us a very sensible community that plays well together and they are even kind enough to come to us and show us exploits they come across (although i think this is the fear of ban that drives them :p)

anyways, what i'm getting to is this. RP is almost around the corner, all our world gen requirements are almost fully presented. what we need now is some form of logging tool. but i will add this.....we'll only need it within a month after that.

Once RP is out we still have a month before it is needed. we have told our tekkit community that once the work starts on the new map they have a month to start mining, refining and selling goods within our economy system to gain monetary assets and then store those assets in the bank so that we can bring some currency over to the new map.

so, that is out situation.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
We are trying, we hope to have plugins up and running within a month from now. The problem is that communication is difficult. a lot of plugin devs have fear to try and those who do have a very hard time requesting the hooks they need. So its tricky but we are not giving up yet.

ShadowSkippie

Jul 29, 2019
Listen, no worries greed.
Do what you need to but don't rush yourself

I've been talking with my co admins and we have decided tool or no tool we're going ahead. We are going with the "I trust you enough not to be a chop" approach unroll we have what we need ;-)

Lightforger

Jul 29, 2019
--Disable crafting
We need something that can be used to disable potentially dangers items.
We want then disabled, not just changing the item ID to 0 and the may be a time that and admin requires the item but we don't want to give crafting of sat nukes to the players as it only takes one.
Here's a forge-compatible recipe remover (as of this post up to MC 1.4.4):
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...e-remover-v11-updated-11152012/#reciperemover

smpfihgu's command mods which Sou1Co11ector posted has a pretty good protection/command set from what i can read, have yet to use it though.
GriefProtection for... well, grief protection :p
These 2(or 3 including recipe remover) combined should work pretty well for house/spawn protection.

So, still needed (or very handy to have) would be,
--World guard (border)
--Backups (for those with home-host?, must interact with MC itself to use /save-off)
--Block logging

~Just another person trying to run a small server :)

Chakyl

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a forge-compatible recipe remover (as of this post up to MC 1.4.4):
So, still needed (or very handy to have) would be,
--World guard (border)
--Backups (for those with home-host?, must interact with MC itself to use /save-off)
--Block logging

~Just another person trying to run a small server :)
Permissions would also help immensely, do you know a mod that can accomplish this?

Lightforger

Jul 29, 2019
the command mod has it's own permission module as well, but that seems to be mainly for controlling the commands from it's own mod.

NovusNecrontyr

Jul 29, 2019
Now that I finally have the time, I am able to show interest.. Yup, I'm that "strange" admin that delegated this task to Skippie :p

After reading all the replies, I still have a few concerns:

Compatibility. It's all good and well to add mod's but will they be FTB dedicated? By posting here, most would assume so, but I want to be 100% sure that all the mods of the FTB pack will fall under the control of the Server mods. I want to be able to stop portal guns from rearranging blocks that should be protected or be able to register modded blocks with a block logger.

Anti-Griefing vs Block Logging. I can see valid points in both. "Prevention is better than cure" is a common view when it comes to dealing with troublesome players but through all my experience, there will ALWAYS be loopholes. I need to know who accessed that chest and stole someones valuable coal* or who built that TNT cannon (yes, all my explosives still work).

World Control. I want creepers to kill, but not destroy all that hard earned machinery. I'm looking for something to control the enviroment, like fire-spread, creeper damage, ghast damage etc..

Something else we definitely need is backup mod. I have 0 % access when it comes to RDP. All I really have is FTP and a web control that allows us to start or stop the server. I also have rcon, but beyond that, we cant execute other programs.. we are restricted because of the limited resources being spread amongst other games as well.

The ranking is important for us because the higher a rank, the more they can do. Obviously not as important as protecting a server, but it is something that helps create structure. I know of a few server's that would *require* this because of the gameplay style they have..

I am still experimenting with alternate mods, and some look promising, but my largest concern is still the compatibility between the mods themselves.

I truly hope that bukket -> forge porting works..

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
NovusNecrontyr said:
World Control. I want creepers to kill, but not destroy all that hard earned machinery. I'm looking for something to control the enviroment, like fire-spread, creeper damage, ghast damage etc..

You can use the new 1.4 vanilla command for this, although it disables all mob griefing (more info):

Code:
/gamerule mobGriefing false

Waarlod

Jul 29, 2019

Greed, what are you using to spread the load across 3 cores?