These are required for administration

ShadowSkippie

Jul 29, 2019
Good morning all
i come to you guys as a few things need to be addressed...i felt it needed to be aired instead of crossing my fingers and hoping it'll come to pass.

So, myself and a some other guy run a tekkit server. We have been following FTB closely and are eagerly awaiting it final release which we wish to implement. This is due to the fact that Tekkit will probably not update and FTB has more more....although the more mods is what sold me.

However, i have come into a small problem, forge is no longer bukkit compatible, this is a slight issue due to the administrative tools we use and i'm sure there are a few Tekkit servers out there sitting with the same issue as myself and team.

Consider this as a check list of what is required, i know that what i am about to ask for some if not everything may exist but it felt this is required.

So, here we go

--Command book
We would like everything that this presents but the following is the important stuff:

Setting Spawn
TP to spawn
Warps (or something similar)
the muting and unmuting of ppl
debug clock and debug info
kick
ban
unban

--Permissions Ex
When it comes to a bukkit server this is the best plugin we have found.
We need some just as powerful and granular

--World guard
We require some form of border guard.....when you have a limited amount of HDD space on a server you need to make sure ppl don't go increase the world size to ungodly GBs

--World Edit & World Guard
The ability to be able to protect areas and modify or repair these areas is a must, no Ifs about it.
We find found these plugins worked the best.
Some akin to this is required.

--Backups
Well truth be told we have not found the perfect fit when it comes to backups and tekkit but the need to for backups is paramount....hell we have to backup every 15m.
this one i don't think is too hard to find a solution but it needs to work and work well.
a server that dies and cannot be recovered due to faulty backups will lose its playerbase

--Block logging
Block logging is heavily needed....with out this we cannot do our jobs. Again it is tricky to find a plugin that works with all the mods presented but the need for this is very important.

--Disable crafting
We need something that can be used to disable potentially dangers items.
We want then disabled, not just changing the item ID to 0 and the may be a time that and admin requires the item but we don't want to give crafting of sat nukes to the players as it only takes one.

--Chat manager
This is more aesthetic but it is very useful.
Just something that can be used to interface with the permissions and colour code the player
For eg.
[Senior Admin] -Red
[Standard Admin] -Orange
[Legendary] -Lime
[Pleb] -Blue
And so and so forth

Now as i said most if not all of these have either been done or are being worked on but a clear list of what is required i think is needed

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Dont wurry about this to much shadow.

I am on teamspeak a lot and i follow in the dev room what is hanging about. And from what slowpoke told me there are steps underway to solving the bukkit - forge issue. This will get fixt! Maybe not on release but it wont be far behind.
I own a big server myself and i have no fear for this. I have complete faith in FTB to complete this hurtle.

Il try to keep you guys up to date on the FTB - Bukkit - Forge issue and what might be the official sollutions once i have the permission from slow to release them!

ShadowSkippie

Jul 29, 2019
hmmm...all the info would be great. where would you put this info though as i need to keep an eye on it.

Our one admin is signed up to all the IRC channels of interest...i trawl twitch a lot trying to catch as much info from there and the third guy embraces Google to its fullest :p
(The senior Admin just looks after the server and expects us to report back to him)

Basically the moment we are happy with FTB we will change and that is easier if the info is easily attainable.

Thanks for the response though :)

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
The fact that your main admin is not really taking time into this is a bit "Strange", But oke :) That might just be me.

I will put all main news and info about FTB servers here in this section. I will release as soon as i can.

I will NOT release any content that i am not allowed so please don't expect me to :)

I'l inform myself with slow again today and see what i can get out.

Zelden

Jul 29, 2019
Any updates on this are eagerly awaited. I just wish they would delay release until these server issues are resolved.

kuceens007

Jul 29, 2019

Nentify

Jul 29, 2019
Always used it ,never had problems :)
How long have you used it for? I've had so many issues with it, so have most plugin authors. Even from it not handling permissions correctly to reloading PEX in-game not even processing correctly.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Good morning all
i come to you guys as a few things need to be addressed...i felt it needed to be aired instead of crossing my fingers and hoping it'll come to pass.

So, myself and a some other guy run a tekkit server. We have been following FTB closely and are eagerly awaiting it final release which we wish to implement. This is due to the fact that Tekkit will probably not update and FTB has more more....although the more mods is what sold me.

However, i have come into a small problem, forge is no longer bukkit compatible, this is a slight issue due to the administrative tools we use and i'm sure there are a few Tekkit servers out there sitting with the same issue as myself and team.

Consider this as a check list of what is required, i know that what i am about to ask for some if not everything may exist but it felt this is required.

So, here we go

--Command book
We would like everything that this presents but the following is the important stuff:

Setting Spawn
TP to spawn
kick
ban
unban

--Permissions Ex

--World guard
We require some form of border guard.....when you have a limited amount of HDD space on a server you need to make sure ppl don't go increase the world size to ungodly GBs

The ability to be able to protect areas and modify or repair these areas is a must, no Ifs about it.

--Backups
Well truth be told we have not found the perfect fit when it comes to backups and tekkit but the need to for backups is paramount....hell we have to backup every 15m.
this one i don't think is too hard to find a solution but it needs to work and work well.
a server that dies and cannot be recovered due to faulty backups will lose its playerbase

--Block logging
Block logging is heavily needed....with out this we cannot do our jobs. Again it is tricky to find a plugin that works with all the mods presented but the need for this is very important.

--Disable crafting
We want then disabled, not just changing the item ID to 0 and the may be a time that and admin requires the item but we don't want to give crafting of sat nukes to the players as it only takes one.

--Chat manager
Just something that can be used to interface with the permissions and colour code the player
For eg.
[Senior Admin] -Red
[Standard Admin] -Orange
[Legendary] -Lime
[Pleb] -Blue
And so and so forth

Now as i said most if not all of these have either been done or are being worked on but a clear list of what is required i think is needed

Just a quick sum up from your list. Since there is a time frame in this there are big prioritys.

--Command book
No direct need for this. Spawn can be made by using beds. OP's can still tp to players. And command blocks might be able to be implemented. It is a usefull plugin but not a big priority.

--Permissions Ex
Agree a permissions system is on the works of porting to Forge

--World guard
World border might get on the port list soon

Working on porting GriefPrevention. A zone by player protection. Very efficiant and usefull. Also contains grief repair tools.

--Backups
No need since a lot of web interfaces have this option.

--Block logging
Usefull but lower on priority list since GriefPrevention will prevent a lot of this stuff.

--Disable crafting
A lot of the things can be disabled by not giving it a ID so that is a need but i think we can handle without on the start.

--Chat manager
Very low on the list since Permissions EX has a chat manager that CAN be used once PermX is ported

ShadowSkippie

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks guys, us admins really appreciate the work you are doing for us.

If i knew how to program i would offer to help in some fashion but alas i am just a server administrator :p

just one thing, we do really need to spawn bit, being able to modify where players spawn and allowing to tp there is important for us....but i will wait according to your schedule :)

Sou1Co11ector

Jul 29, 2019
Good morning all

So, here we go

--Command book

Setting Spawn
TP to spawn
kick
ban
unban

--Permissions Ex

--World guard

--Backups

--Block logging

--Disable crafting

--Chat manager
For eg.
[Senior Admin] -Red
[Standard Admin] -Orange
[Legendary] -Lime
[Pleb] -Blue
And so and so forth

You might want to take a look at this mod set.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1484373-142smpfihgus-command-mods-for-vanilla-server

It provides Login, Permissions, Protection and Teleport functionality. I'm using it and it is Forge compatible and doesn't require Bukkit servers.

You can /setspawn, /setwarp, /sethome and most of the commands you should be used to. Check it out.

ShadowSkippie

Jul 29, 2019
already know about it. We have been testing it buts lacking some details that was available from the stuff we are running on our tekkit server. we are informing him though of what he needs to add...but we do miss our old tools XD

Phat32

Jul 29, 2019
I would much prefer a block logging system to GreifProtection. I watched the video on it after seeing it referenced here, and I have to say I don't much care for it. I understand what it does and how it works, but I don't really like how it does certain things. I want to know who did what and where. The claiming of land like it does doesn't really work when you have a town with a cave system under the city like we commonly have. You would just encounter walls you can't get past and all that. And if users are build inside of a mountain and one makes a house / room above another, you can't do that anymore. In addition if we have a community chest and give resources but make it a server rule you can only take X number of Y, we no longer have a way to track / enforce this.

I use Hawkeye and I love it. Connecting to a MySQL database is trivial, in the video he said it can be complicated for new server admins. But I think if your going to admin a server, you should learn how to do that. Its not the hardest thing in the world and there are tons of guides for it.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree with Phat32, I first started using GriefProtection in my server but it just didn't work for us, too much work. I found that using CoreProtect, WorldEdit, LWC with edited config, and Essentials was enough for us. Your blocks would get locked with LWC and any other griefing would be easily and quickly fixed with CoreProtect's lovely rollback, that way we didn't have to worry about whitelisting (we had a greylist using EssentialsGroup). Of course, every server is different and so are their needs.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Well the word from IRC is that they are working on it. Who "they" are I don't know, how far through (or even if it's been started) I don't know. We all need these tools though if FTB is going to survive and they know that, so I guess watch this space, unless someone from the FTB team cares to shed more light on it?

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Well the word from IRC is that they are working on it. Who "they" are I don't know, how far through (or even if it's been started) I don't know. We all need these tools though if FTB is going to survive and they know that, so I guess watch this space, unless someone from the FTB team cares to shed more light on it?

Then i will tell you again. They are working on it. :)
This is not a simple matter. And as soon as we have info that we can share we will do this ! for now check my sticky post in "Server tech section" about "a life without plugins"
I would much prefer a block logging system to GreifProtection. I watched the video on it after seeing it referenced here, and I have to say I don't much care for it. I understand what it does and how it works, but I don't really like how it does certain things. I want to know who did what and where. The claiming of land like it does doesn't really work when you have a town with a cave system under the city like we commonly have. You would just encounter walls you can't get past and all that. And if users are build inside of a mountain and one makes a house / room above another, you can't do that anymore. In addition if we have a community chest and give resources but make it a server rule you can only take X number of Y, we no longer have a way to track / enforce this.

I use Hawkeye and I love it. Connecting to a MySQL database is trivial, in the video he said it can be complicated for new server admins. But I think if your going to admin a server, you should learn how to do that. Its not the hardest thing in the world and there are tons of guides for it.

I have to agree with Phat32, I first started using GriefProtection in my server but it just didn't work for us, too much work. I found that using CoreProtect, WorldEdit, LWC with edited config, and Essentials was enough for us. Your blocks would get locked with LWC and any other griefing would be easily and quickly fixed with CoreProtect's lovely rollback, that way we didn't have to worry about whitelisting (we had a greylist using EssentialsGroup). Of course, every server is different and so are their needs.

Ass off comments to you both, its still a personal choice chat you use. But it is a fact what uses more power from your server system, and LWC is not a easy one on that.
Also hawkeye or coreportect are nice but once you start rolling back and such you strain your server to the limit.

Try preventing not healing. In that fact GriefPrevention come's in. Its a very nice light wait plugin.
On the note of the clain/depth size, you can set max claim depth in you config of this plugin. A town owner can share a special plut so there can be a community machine room.

Phat32

Jul 29, 2019
I can think of way too many open holes with grief protection that doesn't make it with using. For example, someone runs around throwing Nazi symbols everywhere, you can use that nature tool sure, but how do you know who did it? Who do you ban? You have no idea. What about the big open builds that dont have a claim? If it gets stuff added all over or windows are broken you now have to manually fix it cause grief protection doesn't keep backups. I can see the use of it for some cases and sure, but you still want the safety and security that block logging offers. Even if its just block logging without rolling back. Admins need a way to hold players accountable for their actions.

Reactions: QueWhat and Raimbur