Thermionic Fabricator help!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed that the thermionic fab constantly consumes mj. And if I cut off the power with melted glass in it, the melted glass disappeares. Any help on how to fix this will be much appreciated.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
AFAIK there's no fix for that atm, the TF doesn't even work with gates (no "has work" conditional). I work around the problem by having the redstone conduit that powers the TF visible, and switching it on with an Crescent Hammer only when I need it, so it doesn't draw energy constantly. You will still loose the glass that way, but hey, it's only glass after all...

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but the thing is that the thermionic fabricator can also be operated with way costlier items, like emeralds, or diamonds, along with was casts to make tools and blocks.
You might want not to switch them off when they contain 4-6 diamonds in liquid form, just saying.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but the thing is that the thermionic fabricator can also be operated with way costlier items, like emeralds, or diamonds, along with was casts to make tools and blocks.
You might want not to switch them off when they contain 4-6 diamonds in liquid form, just saying.

You're absolutely right, I didn't even think of that, I only use it for electron tubes...

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
could just set it up on a RS cell and wire up a lever on the wall to turn off the RS cell so it wont output

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Try only throwing as much glass, diamond, etc. in there as you need for your item, so there won't be any liquid left over to disappear. And, of course, cutting power to the thing when it's not needed.

In any case, however, I think that someone should add magma crucible recipes for glass, diamond, etc, and carpenter recipes for electron tubes, stained glass, tools/armor, and the like.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I just thought of this, but it is possible to just stick an energy cell only for this particular machine, and set the output to 3MJ when you need it to run, right?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Any help on how to fix this will be much appreciated.

Here are the ways to fix this, ordered from the easiest to set up to most automatic:

1. Break the power connector to back of the machine each time you finish using it, and reconnect it when you start.
  2. Build a redstone conduit, and use a BC/omniwrench to flip the state of the conduit every time you finish using it, and back again when you want to use it.
  3. Build a redstone energy cell and place it behind the machine, and manually change the MJ/t output to zero when you are finished using it, and up to five when you are using it.
  4. Build a redstone energy cell and place it behind the machine, and set the redstone state to high, then attach a lever to a redstone current that will be able to toggle the cell. Flip the lever when you finish using the system, and reflip it when you want to use it again.
  5. Build a redstone energy cell and place it behind the machine, and set the redstone state to high. Then build a BuildCraft assembly table, and make a gate. Place the gate below the machine, set it to detect work Items In Inventory, and output a redstone signal. Run that signal so the redstone energy cell toggles from it. This is fully automated.
Obviously, the last option is the best option. But four and three, and even two aren't all that bad. Good luck.

Last edited by Dafuq? on Sunday, March 03, 2013 (03/03/2013) at 21:47:30 PST by Gus.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Place the gate below the machine, set it to detect work

Last time I checked, the gates had no "has work"-conditional when placed next to a Thermionic Fabricator. But it's been a while, maybe that got fixed?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Last time I checked, the gates had no "has work"-conditional when placed next to a Thermionic Fabricator. But it's been a while, maybe that got fixed?

Ah, yes, you are correct. That was whatever other MJ-using machine nibbles power slowly. You want to use "Has Items In Inventory". Updating my post. Thanks!

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
my solution to this (once I get a good supply of energy) is to make multiple thermionic fabricators each with their own redstone energy cell behind them, and set each one of them to just enough MJ/tick to melt whatever material you are using. That way, it isn't using MJ to keep one at full heat, when you are only melting glass. Yes, I'm aware that each cell will take a diamond and 40 redstone, but this will be my ultimate setup. (of course by then, I probably won't need it.)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you could also keep it powered constantly with a few low upkeep engines. Separate from the rest of your network. Or if not sepparate, then at least disconnectable - via RS cell.

Magmatics come to mind. And a liquid tesseract. Or a single electric engine.

This would work flawlessly - for me atleast - as I tend to produce large amounts of lava.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, yes, you are correct. That was whatever other MJ-using machine nibbles power slowly. You want to use "Has Items In Inventory". Updating my post. Thanks!

I think the other machine you're talking of would be the rolling machine, that one works fine with gates.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I think the other machine you're talking of would be the rolling machine, that one works fine with gates.

Yeah, that is it. It properly works with the "Has Work" gate, versus the thermionic fabricator that only works with the inventory. Just make sure to not fill its inventory unless you want to use it.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you set up a deployer with a wrench in it next to the conduit and press a button to turn on/off?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you set up a deployer with a wrench in it next to the conduit and press a button to turn on/off?

I am fairly sure deployers do a right click action, not left click. An engineering turtle might do the trick, though, but BC gates really work the best.

Dasein808

Jul 29, 2019
It's not the most efficient method, but I use a lever, red alloy wire, & electric engine setup.

I don't use my TF very often, but I have yet to find anything that I couldn't make due to a lack of power. I ended up going this route for the same reasons mentioned in the OP. I don't like the idea of having to manually disconnect / reconnect the power and having to leave the power connection exposed.