The ultimate Tinker's Construct Scythe!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OoDex

Jul 29, 2019
Hello there fellow friends!

I am playing a ton of sky factory 2 lately and stumbled across the scythe for the first time. I never even considered using it, since the dmg is lower and aoe normally useless, if I oneshot anything anyways, but now that I can use it for my farm I would love to know which materials would be the best to combine.

Lemme put you into my position:
I live on a small Island with a 3x3 mob farm (where I kill them), perfectly for the scythe. What I want is pretty much as many modifiers as possible, all with Lapis to get more Loot. Damage isn't needed at all, I don't fight Monsters, so Quartz would be completly wasted on it.
Goal: Looting III (if that is the Maximum), if some modifiers are left I would love to go for some durability and at least 1 spot for auto-repair.

Well, as you might guess, I need help with the materials. I thought of:
Manyullyn as head (if you can, please Name something similar, thought of Obsidian but I am not sure, don't have ardite yet).
2xPaper Tool Rod
1xPaper Binding (or how it's called, the one with the creeper head :c )

I hope you have more experience as I do :D

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
A Tool has 3 Base modifire and for each paper you get 1 More so you need one modifire for looting 3 which requires 50 Blocks of lapis the creeper had thing (large plate ) if you have it i suggest the thaumium plate which i think you can Make in a partbuilder and the Rest paper exept the "blade " manyullin or Steel is a Good choose
And cactus gives you More dmg. The lower the durability is so
Paper rod cactus rod thaumium or paper plate because the plate affects the durability and dmg. As well and a Steel or manyullin blade
Then you should have 5 modifire no Moss because you get everything from nothing so Maybe flux later
One looting
Diamond or Emerald if Your durability is higher than 500 Use Emerald and i think quarts is Never Bad so Good luck

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Considering the nature of scythes with mob grinders, I would say that damage is not the priority but durability. SF2 I haven't played, so I dunno if bedrockium tools is in there, but I reckon all paper/thaumium with one obsidian part, so that's reinforced 3 with 6 mods. you can then use the gold block + diamond, nether star, and notch apple +diamond block, to get reinforced 3, 9 mods. so you can add 7 obsidian plates and full lapiz.

So this should give you unbreaking (reinforced 10), Fortune 3, and one other modification. add quartz or something, since there's no point adding moss or flux to something indestructible.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I made my scythe with an obsidian head and the rest paper. Add two modifiers and you get enough to make it unbreakable with 7 obsidian plates and there's room for the lapis, too. You can even add one more modifier with a nether star but it's probably a waste if you want damage as it would be better to start with a better head material and use obsidian on the handle. There's really nothing else you can add to a grinding tool anyway.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

OoDex

Jul 29, 2019
@All before I answer:
I decided for a tool shown in the answers below. Thanks a lot for your responses, I know it's hard to hit the mark with what I need, since I am playing a specific modpack, e.g. I don't care at all about damage, and priotize looting and durabilty.

@HeroWing2 Well I can't use paper for the Rod, as I said I wanted as many modifier as possible, so I went for Obsidian - Thaumium - Thaumium - Thaumium (3 Modifier).
Cactus is no good choice, since I a) need no damage and b) normally the weapon is at max durability.
Well I am going for: Moss + Dia + Lapis until max, the plan right now :)

@CaptPanda You got it! Funny enough, that's exactly what I did - 1 Obsidian (Head), 3 Thaumium.
Let me rank my upgrades (considered right now):
Looting - to the max, no matter what.
Auto-Repair - min. 1 moss ball
-----
+500 Durability - it's possible, since a Scythe uses up quickly
+1-2 Auto-Repair - lvl 2/3 makes it infinite, I like that choice over repairing
+1 Emerald - If I use one I will reduce Auto Repair by one, I'm just not 100% sure about that one

@Zelfana Sadly enough, paper is not possible in the mod pack, but thaumium did it and got me 3 modifier.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Yeah, Zelfana and I had the same idea as I with having the thing indestructible, so there would be no need to add the diamond or autorepair.

But so long as you're happy with what you've got, that's what matters in the end.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually using the scythe more for plants than mobs. I might add a lava crystal to auto-smelt potatoes just for fun.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually using the scythe more for plants than mobs. I might add a lava crystal to auto-smelt potatoes just for fun.
That'd be useful for passive mob farms as well, as long as you have a method of separating the stuff you want to kill from the stuff you want to keep. :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Paper and Obsidian here too for unbreaking. Really don't care about using it for mobs, purely using it for flowers or leaves etc. But then again its 3x3 area is annoyingly small and I often just make a cheap PR(?) sickle instead.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Paper and Obsidian here too for unbreaking. Really don't care about using it for mobs, purely using it for flowers or leaves etc. But then again its 3x3 area is annoyingly small and I often just make a cheap PR(?) sickle instead.
All I can think is "Public Relations Sickle" but I know that's not it... Acronym meaning, please? XD

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
All I can think is "Public Relations Sickle" but I know that's not it... Acronym meaning, please? XD
Project Red. It adds various Sickles made from gems/metals etc. At least in 1.6.4.

Thermal Foundation adds the sickles made of metals in it.
I think that stems from a compatibility with the PR sickles. At least in 1.6.4 TE added an Invar Sickle with identical crafting pattern to the PR ones.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Project Red. It adds various Sickles made from gems/metals etc. At least in 1.6.4.

I think that stems from a compatibility with the PR sickles. At least in 1.6.4 TE added an Invar Sickle with identical crafting pattern to the PR ones.
Yeah, in 1.7.10, there's metal tools for every TE metal, including swords, pickaxes, axes, shovels, hoes, fishing rods, bows and sickle's. You're missing out, man. :p
You should totally play my pack when you decide to update! //Shameless plug, ignore if you want (but don't ignore if you're nice ;))
On top of that, you can use them all in Tinker's Tools. Electrum is better than or equal to cobalt in mining speed, and Shiny/Platinum is the same with Manyullyn.
Overpowered? Maybe, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. :p

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
The electrum silver and platinum have a high mining speed But the durability... Diamond Please!
Electrum 12 50
Silver 10. 25
Shiny 16. 100

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
I never really thought about using scythes for farming, might try that actually. The 3x3 isn't so important for me when killing monsters as I can siphon them all into a 1x1 and hit them all at once. so combining the two as a multifunctional tool would be pretty neat.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've always used it as a farming tool, and then weapon in emergencies. Unless something has changed, looting is only one modifier to get to level 3. It's also stupidly effective for navigating jungles. (Chops a big path through the leafy undergrowth.)