The Ultimate Minecraft Machine - What do I need?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm looking for deeeeeeeluxe. Vivecraft in 1.12.2 with mods and shaders deluxe, and when not in VR, I want it in pristine 4k with 128k textures if at all humanly possible.

So, I'm on the fence about how to accomplish this. I have an alright PC right now. A 4ghzish quad core i7 (I do not know the model number), 16 gigs of ram and SSD already. The processor is about 2 years old, the rest 3-4. I believe the weakest link is the AMD r9 390 graphics card.

Now, here's where I'm torn. I have two routes here. I can upgrade just the graphics card, or I can get a whole new PC. I do have some need for separate PC's eventually anyway, but not right off the bat.

So, basically, should I drop $2k on a brand new desktop, or $800 on a graphics card? Would I get enough benefit from other hardware that I'm not totally aware of the value yet (specifically, I'm wondering if a stronger cooling system would lead to better performance? Will a more up to date motherboard have any real world affect? I really don't know).

edit: This PC is for more than minecraft, too. I am a heavy VR user and this will be the main source of entertainment on 4k OLED, so I need it to crank on all cylinders. I post it here, though, because Minecraft seems like the neediest application.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'd hold off on a new system, especially if you insist on Intel... Check to see if there's a faster CPU for your socket, as the next CPU release is going to change the motherboard (again). Or, check Newegg for one of their CPU/Motherboard combo deals and replace those.

You say the rest of the system is 3-4 years old so I can't tell if you have DDR3 or DDR4... Your upgrade may need new ram. You don't need to worry about Ram faster than recommended, though... Fast Ram doesn't improve Intel system performance much at all.

Newegg has also been selling GPUs at near MSRP for 2 weeks now. Check the prices. You should be able to update for less than $1500

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Great reply, thanks!

I will look into DDR4 vs DDR3, I have no idea. They were a tick or two faster than the rest at the time I bought them, though.

I have been noticing the graphics cards are dropping. I'm prepared to drop some cash on one if it will really make the difference. I did see on one comparison site that the 1080ti was like 135% faster than the one I'm running, so for general gaming, this will probably suffice. I'm just not sure if it will make a dent in minecraft or not.

Would the cooling have any real effect? Here's the weird thing, when I'm trying to get the most out of Minecraft with all the fancy stuff on, I don't see either the graphics card OR the processor ever tapped out at full force, even if my framerate is dropping. So, I'm not sure where the bottleneck actually even is.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Found more details in my emails:

i7-4790K Quad-core (4 Core) 4 GHz Processor

ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB
(2x8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 RAM

Cooling is stock, power supply, I can't find the info but probably needs to be upgraded as well. Less of a big deal, though.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Are you tied to using Intel? Just asking because I've used AMD since the 90s and know more about current Ryzen stuff.

Check out "Paul's hardware" on YouTube... Every month he specs out 2 systems in the first part of the month and builds one of them at the end of the month. He's done at least 2 $800 gaming systems this summer:

The August specs: (includes recent prices) (uses included cooling)

The July build. He also does Intel builds but there's a lot of interest in Ryzen Gen2 right now and next month will probably be Threadripper 2.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm not married to intel at all, that's just what I happen to already have. I posted these questions in another place, though, and it looks like my processor is pretty solid.

What I am married to, however, is Nvidia for the graphics. This is from experience with AMD, which did just fine with most common games, but had tons of issues with minecraft shaders. I am sort of running with the assumption that anything amateur or experimental would be written with Nvidia in mind, so I'm definitely going with them.

I do think I've decided that I will most likely go with the graphics card for now. I just bought a house and I would like to keep something of a cushion in there in case I burn it down or something.

So, now it comes down to, which card do I get? My instincts have been telling me a 1080 ti, but is there a better one out there that's worth it?

edit: looks like the 1080ti is the best bang for the buck by a pretty wide margin, so I guess the question should be whether or not there's something on the horizon that's worth waiting for.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I think the 1080Ti is the highest end for the 100 series, so either wait until the next series comes out and be bleeding-edge there, or settle with the 1080Ti. Maybe SLI a pair of them, if that's still possible?

I'd wait for the next generation chips, since as was mentioned they are going to be reconfiguring the MOBO as well. While they are doing the MOBO again, they'll probably have considerations for bleeding edge RAM. Upgrading your proc at the moment seems like a high cost investment for relatively low return and rapid outdating.

Also, run it on an SSD. What is probably your choke at this point isn't graphics or RAM or cycles, it's probably down to efficiency at this point. Prices of SSD's have been dropping steadily lately, you should be able to net yourself one at a reasonable price.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I thought about 2 cards, but I feel like that's going to be less useful than it seems if games don't specifically support it, right? I think since I'll be getting this in a matter of weeks, I'm probably going to just go with a 1080 ti. From what I was looking at, they're better than I was expecting. Now that the prices are dropping, it looks like a steal, really.

But, I do have an SSD already. I've been running Minecraft on it, too. So I'm still not sure where that bottleneck could be. This is part of why I was originally considering starting over with a whole new PC, hoping that it resolves whatever it is in my configuration that's holding me back. But, I'd be looking at like 2k for a new box, vs $600ish for the 1080 ti, which does seem to be the biggest issue at least in general gaming, if not Minecraft.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I thought about 2 cards, but I feel like that's going to be less useful than it seems if games don't specifically support it, right? I think since I'll be getting this in a matter of weeks, I'm probably going to just go with a 1080 ti. From what I was looking at, they're better than I was expecting. Now that the prices are dropping, it looks like a steal, really.

But, I do have an SSD already. I've been running Minecraft on it, too. So I'm still not sure where that bottleneck could be. This is part of why I was originally considering starting over with a whole new PC, hoping that it resolves whatever it is in my configuration that's holding me back. But, I'd be looking at like 2k for a new box, vs $600ish for the 1080 ti, which does seem to be the biggest issue at least in general gaming, if not Minecraft.
Plus if you get a 1080Ti, then later get a new MOBO/proc, then you can slot your modern video card into the new computer, so it is an upgrade you can retain even if you upgrade the whole tower.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'd hold off on a 10x0 GPU until September, to see if nVidia really has a new board coming in the next couple of weeks. If they do then existing boards will probably go on sale as demand peaks for the "New Hotness"

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That's a good point about sales. Not only that, but with the crypto boom going down (or at least the separation from the graphics cards into the specialized equipment) I'm sure if I shop around for the next few weeks, I can find a real steal out there somewhere from someone trying to dump inventory. That might be risky depending on where I get it, though.

We are talking early September anyway. No big purchases until I sign on this house at least. But that might put me in position to wait a couple of weeks before making a move. I'd hate to drop $700 on something that's going to be $550 the next week...

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Exactly… I've seen reputable advice on YouTube (Jayz2cents, Pauls Hardware, Bitwit, Gamers Nexus, etc) all recommend waiting. If the new Nvidia chipsets are announced this month as Nvidia is implying, and possibly new cards, a lot of the market competition for 10 series cards will drop hard as the "bleeding Edge" buyers, both gamer and crypto wait for the new "Trophy GPU".

Couple that with the rumored return of over 300,000 top-line cards by a distributor to Nvidia last month and there is a price drop in the air :D

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I am very glad I posted this thread, lol.

I saw some stuff show up on my google news feed this morning on the new NVidia cards, too. Could be dropping in a week or two even. By the time I'm ready to pull the trigger, this is gonna be nice and cheap!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yeah, I saw the news about the new chips yesterday and a brief mention of the boards. I'll stick with my 6GB 1060 for now, as I have other upgrades to watch for, being a Ryzen user.

I have a R51600 (6-core 3.2GHHz base) now so I'm watching the results of the new products. Right now I can upgrade to a R72700x with my existing motherboard but am keeping an eye on where 1st gen. Threadripper prices end up.

At the very least I want to upgrade to a 2000 series CPU and X470 motherboard for the improved features but if 19xx Threadrippers drop far enough that may become an X399 board and TR4 CPU :D

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I don't know what most of those words mean :)

I'm a tech guy and all, but I don't follow the gobbledygook. I have people like you all that I can trust are having my back when I'm looking for the best bang for the buck :p

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
They introduced the new Quadra boards (high end productivity and scientific) at beyond consumer prices. However, Nvidia slipped a clue that something is coming on August 20, at the big convention in Cologne Germany.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Nvidia dropped its announcements. Now I have to decide, do I try to find a cheap 1080 ti or pick up an RTX 2080 for about what the 1080 ti was supposed to cost...

I feel like going to 999 for the 2080 ti is probably just a trap. But I was prepared to look around for a $550 1080 ti, but if the 2080 (without the ti) is just going to end up being aorund 799, maybe I should just do eet?

What do you all think? The biggest factor I'm seeing is exactly when is it that I'm going to start seeing the 1080ti's drop, for real? I'm still seeing some buttholes selling their used ones for $2300, hoping some idiot spends the money. In the meantime, I'm over here with an actual need for one. Also, let's say I do find a 1080 ti for $550, but then these 2080's flood the market and the old 1080 ti's start selling for $250 just to clear stock. I think I'd feel like a fool for buying it.

I know, I know, the safest bet is to just wait. The new ones aren't coming out for about a month anyway, so I have exactly that much time to make a decision.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Nvidia dropped its announcements. Now I have to decide, do I try to find a cheap 1080 ti or pick up an RTX 2080 for about what the 1080 ti was supposed to cost...

I feel like going to 999 for the 2080 ti is probably just a trap. But I was prepared to look around for a $550 1080 ti, but if the 2080 (without the ti) is just going to end up being aorund 799, maybe I should just do eet?

What do you all think? The biggest factor I'm seeing is exactly when is it that I'm going to start seeing the 1080ti's drop, for real? I'm still seeing some buttholes selling their used ones for $2300, hoping some idiot spends the money. In the meantime, I'm over here with an actual need for one. Also, let's say I do find a 1080 ti for $550, but then these 2080's flood the market and the old 1080 ti's start selling for $250 just to clear stock. I think I'd feel like a fool for buying it.

I know, I know, the safest bet is to just wait. The new ones aren't coming out for about a month anyway, so I have exactly that much time to make a decision.

I wouldn't pop for an RTX 2000 video card at all right now. For one thing they will most likely sell out to the bleeding-edgers, even if the Crypto dudes aren't interested.

At the MSRPs announced today, especially sub-$500 for the 2070, the GTX cards cannot help but drop in price, probably before the first RTX cards get to customers on 9/20.