The thaumostatic harness officially blows MPS out of the water in terms of speed and maneuverability

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I can't watch a video right now, care to explain?

You move at least 2x faster than an MPS suit allows with more maneuverability, downward momentum, and horizontal control.

It's addictive to fly with. Also drains a full jar of potential in about 5 minutes if you use it constantly.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
You move at least 2x faster than an MPS suit allows with more maneuverability, downward momentum, and horizontal control.

It's addictive to fly with. Also drains a full jar of potential in about 5 minutes if you use it constantly.
Good thing potential is cheap, the real question is what to do with the other aspects you end up with :p

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Does it still do that annoying screen glitch thing to people near you...
My screen spazzes out whenever other players use it near me. This is the current 1.5 version mind you, at least I think it is it it might be a 1.5 dev version I'm using.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
Even with a "flight only powersuit?" meaning no armor or anything else to weigh it down, just jet boots [or shock absorbers], jet pack and flight control?

Wow, I always wanted a reason to use more magic.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019

Is this in 1.6.2? Is it via enchanting?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Does it still do that annoying screen glitch thing to people near you...
My screen spazzes out whenever other players use it near me. This is the current 1.5 version mind you, at least I think it is it it might be a 1.5 dev version I'm using.

Last time I tried it doesn't do that anymore. Might just be an outdated/brand new version, though.

Is this in 1.6.2? Is it via enchanting?

1.5.2, enchanting the thaumostatic harness with haste.

Reactions: RedBoss

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah those things are a hoot. It's reeeeeeally good for doing work.. I'm just one of those finicky people who hates watching the bar go down... So I don't really travel much via flight much, merely leaping across areas. But out of all ways to fly, this thing is tops. Even with just the harness enchanted you go really quick. Though using the boots and pack appears to be making you go much faster. I just wore my force boots so I could skate on water.... Oh man wear wing force boots while using the jetpack... it takes a bit of fenagling, but you go INSANELY fast across the ocean pairing up the two.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Ok. Yeah I've had haste III on it. It's a nice alternative but a but annoying with the need to refill potentia. I've used it more often for building since it's more like creative mode flight. You can approximate it with MPS but I hate fiddling with my uber settings.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I still prefer MPS, with the tinker table upgrade on the power fist, I can configure my MPS settings on the go.

Plus, I hate having to recharge frequently.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
For MPS, it isn't just about it's capability. For me, I like how it looks and how you can customise the way it looks and how it works.

The modular aspect of the suit also allow you to make a basic suit and upgrade as you go. You aren't stuck with a crappy suit the whole way and needing to craft a new suit when you want to upgrade.

In terms of power wise, it is probably mid tier, leaning towards high (my opinion). It still doesn't give you true invincibility like the full Quantum suit does and I do hope it doesn't. And I do enjoy using it a lot. I also like how you can customise keys for different modules of the armor, which I prefer over those that uses Minecraft's keybinding list.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
This arms race of faster and faster flight solutions reminds me a bit of the macerator race.

"Use my mod, it gives you even more ingots per ore!" - "Use my armor, it lets you fly even faster!"

Power creep is even worse for this game than most games. Eventually we will have a single wooden stick that you can just click things to make other objects, and give you complete invulnerability. "punch a tree, craft a stick, and get all the items, be invulverable! It blows other mods out of the water!' In this game, being more powerful is not always better. But it appeals to basic human desires, so it works, unfortunately.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Power creep is even worse for this game than most games. Eventually we will have a single wooden stick that you can just click things to make other objects, and give you complete invulnerability. "punch a tree, craft a stick, and get all the items, be invulverable! It blows other mods out of the water!' In this game, being more powerful is not always better. But it appeals to basic human desires, so it works, unfortunately.

pff punching a tree is too much work. Enable TooEasyMode in GT and just punch some dirt for uu matter. ;)

Reactions: zorn

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting. I believe you can also benefit from the boots and haste there as well?

Faster movement speed from the Haste enchant on boots is a vanilla feature.

I doubt we will get there, because just as much as there are people looking for ways to make things easier, there are people who are looking for ways to make things harder. I've seen it happen with many mods - it starts up, it gathers attention, it grows rapidly and becomes popular and releases a blitz of feature after feature. And eventually the author sits back and goes "wow, all this stuff I added kind of screws with the game in ways I never intended". And then he goes and nerfs. Good example: Thermal Expansion. A mod that started small, garnered massive positive attention, quickly grew to become borderline broken and then got reined in until it settled in the form we know and love today.

Plus there will always be different flavors of developers making different flavors of mods for different people. Powercrystals errs on the side of making everything quick and easy and super-owerful, GregoriousT errs on the side of hiding the truly powerful stuff behind a gigantic progression tree, and IguanaMan errs on the side of NERF EVERYTHING FOR FUN AND PROFIT. And all three of them have a good following, and their mods are being used in active gameplay.

Reactions: Flipz

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt we will get there, because just as much as there are people looking for ways to make things easier, there are people who are looking for ways to make things harder. I've seen it happen with many mods - it starts up, it gathers attention, it grows rapidly and becomes popular and releases a blitz of feature after feature. And eventually the author sits back and goes "wow, all this stuff I added kind of screws with the game in ways I never intended". And then he goes and nerfs. Good example: Thermal Expansion. A mod that started small, garnered massive positive attention, quickly grew to become borderline broken and then got reined in until it settled in the form we know and love today.

Plus there will always be different flavors of developers making different flavors of mods for different people. Powercrystals errs on the side of making everything quick and easy and super-owerful, GregoriousT errs on the side of hiding the truly powerful stuff behind a gigantic progression tree, and IguanaMan errs on the side of NERF EVERYTHING FOR FUN AND PROFIT. And all three of them have a good following, and their mods are being used in active gameplay.

I read that Greg plays with a chickenbones mod that removes infinite water blocks. 0_o And... it sounds fun. Except needing to drain an ocean ...daily...to run my base.

But your point is completely true, i think. Maybe all of the 'balance' arguements are because people like me like the TE items, but want them to be 'harder'? And people who rail against gregtech do so because they want a cool industrial grinder... but not all the 'grind' that Greg adds with it? You'd think if people just hated gregtech, they would forget about it, wouldnt you? maybe all the arguing is because the mod is cool as hell (industrial grinder coolness factor vs a pulverizer? no contest) but people want the mod to work in a way that fits their playstyle more?

Curious, how was TE stronger than it is today?

Reactions: Flipz