The Strange Case of Mystic's Computer - Seeking Solutions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
Normally I'd start this with a joke or something, but this has got to the point when I want to pull out my hair.
Let's go back about a year, when I played FTB several hours a day on the 1.6 Direwolf20 modpack. The laptop I was using had an i3 Processor, 4GB RAM, and an Intel 4000 Graphics card. The game ran fine- Loaded up in about 5 minutes, I was getting about 30-40 FPS (Yes, those are my standards.), considering the pack had about 150 mods in it. Hell, I even started to play the 1.7.10 DNS pack on the ATLauncher, which has about 200 mods and I still got about 25 FPS.

Fast-forwarding to November, it's my birthday (Yay). I get a brand-spankin' new laptop. Inspiron 17 5000 Series. Basically the same as the old laptop, with i3 Processor, 4GB RAM, and an Intel 4400 Graphics card (*Cries*). Everything is slightly newer, so it should just run slightly better, right?

Wrong.
Dead Wrong.
I go to play the 1.7.10 Direwolf20 pack on said new computer.
-Click "Launch Modpack"
-Waits patiently for the game to load, expecting it to take about 5-10 minutes, as it's the first time it's loading.
-10 Minutes later-
Game has not loaded. Somewhat suprised, but just walk away, expecting it to load still.
-20 minutes later-
Come back, still hasn't loaded. Check the console- The last message sent was from 15 minutes ago. Me goes WTF, but wants to just wait it out.
-1 HOUR LATER -
THE GAME LOADS! FINALLY! I turn down most of the settings, enter in the server's IP, click Connect-
-Freezes for about 5 minutes, server loads in.
5 FPS.
0 FPS.
Crashes.

Keep in mind I have a good 1.5 GB of my RAM set in the launcher.

Recently, I tried to boot up Infinity with it and it doesn't load after 2 hours. Yesterday I tried to launch FTB Lite 3 with 2GB of RAM. It loads after 15 minutes, but crashes without warning as soon as I click a button.

So, Mighty FTB community, I pose you this question-
What could possibly be causing this disaster? Is there any way I can solve it?
And no, I will not buy a new computer. I'm not even in high school yet and don't got da cash.

I WILL BE REPLYING TO ANYTHING RELEVANT. PLEASE, HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (*dies*)

Last edited:

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
Is there a way for you to grab your crash log?
Also, what is your version of Java?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Is your new laptop Win 8? Was the prior laptop Win 7?
Are you sure it's a 4400 and not a 5500 graphics card? I was hard pressed to find an Inspiron 5000 series with that description. The cruddiest graphics card I could find was an Intel HD 5500.

What is the CPU? If it is a Intel Core i3-5005U @ 2.00GHz then it isn't horrible. Sort of a mid-range CPU. How does it compare to the CPU in your old laptop?

As @Dezz asked, what version of Java are you running? If you were running on 7 before and 8 now, that could affect your performance. For some, Java 8 is better, for others they swear it messes them up.

What is your performance like on completely unmodded vanilla minecraft? Can you achieve your 30-40fps running plain vanilla with nothing else on this new laptop?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'd say you're starving for ram, if you only have 4GB installed.

If you run 1.7.x packs you should probably have 6GB:

1). 4GB for Java and Minecraft as the recommended Java settings = Mininum Ram = 2GB, Maximum Ram = 4GB, PermGen = 256MB. These are the defaults in Java 8, BTW.

2). Somewhere around 2GB ram for Windows to live in. This could be a bit more ore less depending on your Windows version and if your GPU has it's own dedicated video ram.

When I get a new laptop I won't be too concerned with running Minecraft on it... It would cost way too much to even get close to my Desktop performance.

I will concentrate on the important things that aren't easily changeable... CPU, GPU, making sure to get the ports I want to have, etc., and go with at least 8GB ram so I could suffer along with Modded MC if I had to :D

I can, at least with HP laptops (you can download a service manual with all the part numbers), do an after-market upgrade to a faster CPU but only the same model chip, if I can find a reasonable vendor that sells mobile CPUs.

Some laptops actually have removable video modules similar to the AMD or Nvidia desktop boards with dedicated ram, and if you custom order direct from the manufacturer you can sometimes get extra ram on sale for the price of the standard amount, etc.

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013

1). 4GB for Java and Minecraft as the recommended Java settings = Mininum Ram = 2GB, Maximum Ram = 4GB, PermGen = 256MB. These are the defaults in Java 8, BTW.

2). Somewhere around 2GB ram for Windows to live in. This could be a bit more ore less depending on your Windows version and if your GPU has it's own dedicated video ram.

I run an 1.7.10 modpack on single player fine with 160 mods in it using only a max of 2GB ram.

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way for you to grab your crash log?
Also, what is your version of Java?
I've tried to find the crash log and it never creates one.
Also, I have the newest Java (Java 8 or whatever).

Is your new laptop Win 8? Was the prior laptop Win 7?
Are you sure it's a 4400 and not a 5500 graphics card? I was hard pressed to find an Inspiron 5000 series with that description. The cruddiest graphics card I could find was an Intel HD 5500.

What is the CPU? If it is a Intel Core i3-5005U @ 2.00GHz then it isn't horrible. Sort of a mid-range CPU. How does it compare to the CPU in your old laptop?

As @Dezz asked, what version of Java are you running? If you were running on 7 before and 8 now, that could affect your performance. For some, Java 8 is better, for others they swear it messes them up.

What is your performance like on completely unmodded vanilla minecraft? Can you achieve your 30-40fps running plain vanilla with nothing else on this new laptop?

Both of the laptops are Windows 8.1.
Yes, it is a 4400, and the CPU is Intel Core i3-4030U @ 1.90GHz. Slightly worse than the one you just listed.
I get about 80 FPS on vanilla. No Optifine. However, I play with all settings turned down simply because I don't care much for the Fancy stuff or texture packs.

When I get a new laptop I won't be too concerned with running Minecraft on it... It would cost way too much to even get close to my Desktop performance.

I will concentrate on the important things that aren't easily changeable... CPU, GPU, making sure to get the ports I want to have, etc., and go with at least 8GB ram so I could suffer along with Modded MC if I had to :D

I can, at least with HP laptops (you can download a service manual with all the part numbers), do an after-market upgrade to a faster CPU but only the same model chip, if I can find a reasonable vendor that sells mobile CPUs.

Some laptops actually have removable video modules similar to the AMD or Nvidia desktop boards with dedicated ram, and if you custom order direct from the manufacturer you can sometimes get extra ram on sale for the price of the standard amount, etc.
The strange thing with that is that I was playing a 1.7.10 Modpack, the DNS Techpack on ATLauncher and was getting 20-30 FPS with a 5 minute load-up. I had about 2GB RAM set to it.

The Laptop I am using is http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17-5749-laptop/pd . It's the second laptop from the left, 500 bucks. And sadly I can't really upgrade anything in this due to the fact that I'm entering high school next year and I don't really have any spending money. The money I had was used for some games and a HyperX Cloud headset.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Is it too late to return the laptop? $500 would get you the better inspiron senseidragon was looking at. More importantly though, it's only barely better than your old laptop. You would be FAR better off returning it, and getting a desktop.

A quick 30 seconds search of newegg turned up:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=PPSSRVHEXEKHAR-_-83-229-619-_-Product

It has room for another stick of ram, so a quick:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104441

Bam. Vastly superior CPU, it actually has a video card which is also superior, and would then have double the RAM ( and far better RAM at that. ) NTM being a desktop, it's very upgrade-able for when you DO get money.

Anyways:

We really need more of the specific details ( Like the exact java version ). Your forge log would help a ton.

There's probably some mod interacting poorly for some reason with your laptop. It could be in the packs that run bad, but not in the one that runs well.

It's really hard to say though without the log, and seeing exactly what all is going on.

Reactions: Senseidragon

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
Is it too late to return the laptop? $500 would get you the better inspiron senseidragon was looking at. More importantly though, it's only barely better than your old laptop. You would be FAR better off returning it, and getting a desktop.

A quick 30 seconds search of newegg turned up:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=PPSSRVHEXEKHAR-_-83-229-619-_-Product

It has room for another stick of ram, so a quick:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104441

Bam. Vastly superior CPU, it actually has a video card which is also superior, and would then have double the RAM ( and far better RAM at that. ) NTM being a desktop, it's very upgrade-able for when you DO get money.

Anyways:

We really need more of the specific details ( Like the exact java version ). Your forge log would help a ton.

There's probably some mod interacting poorly for some reason with your laptop. It could be in the packs that run bad, but not in the one that runs well.

It's really hard to say though without the log, and seeing exactly what all is going on.
That does look like a good idea, but I run into some problems:
- I'm entering school next year, and I need a laptop to do work, as well as play.
- This current laptop is a birthday present. Asking to return it... well, may not go over well with parents.
However, it is still an option as I do believe the warranty is still valid.
As for the Java version, I'm updating to Java 8 update 45 today.
As for the forge log I am going to try to launch FTB Lite 3 today and see what happens.