The most underused starting strategies?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with this. 10:1 is a nice deal especially for somethings one cannot do in the slag furnance.
I just did this in last nights LP recording session. that episode is not done editing yet. been busy fixing the brakes on my car and going trough the oath ceremony for my scout flock.
(the best unpaid job ever. I get to teach kids how to become responsible adults, while running around in the woods playing survival).

Vixation

Jul 29, 2019
Instead, I just unsubbed from the one that was annoying me. (Which wasn't Bdub or GenB, as they're clearly playing fun) To be fair, on a server, there is force involved. Guude is forcing that config on the other players.

Guude isn't forcing anyone, they decide together, bit of course not Everyone can get what they want, but you have to compromise. I know i'm late, just felt the bees to point that out.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
The Induction Furnace and Pulverizer both work on Buildcraft energy and have their own internal power 'batteries'. As such, if you surround them with Redstone engines and are patient, you can 'freely' macerate and smelt your ores and (with the pulverizer) get other dusts and stuff as well. Pulverizers are also a LOT easier to make than a macerator and, unlike the macerator, don't downgrade when you break them to move them.

You do know that Redstone Engines NO LONGER produce BC energy? Redstone engines only pull items and liquids out through wooden and emerald pipes. It was changed to prevent what you are talking about.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
You do know that Redstone Engines NO LONGER produce BC energy? Redstone engines only pull items and liquids out through wooden and emerald pipes. It was changed to prevent what you are talking about.

False.

Redstone engines definitely produce Minecraft joules. What they don't do is transmit over redstone pipes or conduits. Nor do they transfer power through muiltiple engines.

They absolutely most certainly do power machines when used directly on that machine face.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
False.

Redstone engines definitely produce Minecraft joules. What they don't do is transmit over redstone pipes or conduits. Nor do they transfer power through muiltiple engines.

They absolutely most certainly do power machines when used directly on that machine face.

Was this recently changed, as I used to have a small redstone engine into redstone conduit field back before I was sans boilers and I wanted to keep some farms running on a timer. Thank you.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
it was changed recently, I think last BC update.

redstone engines only output into machines directly or as suction on pipes. They no longer output MJ into pipes or conduit (though maybe they work on tesseracts)

Reactions: Guswut

Phicksur

Jul 29, 2019
As others have said, it does still work. Hell, I just did this last night on both my server and my Let's Play.

Redstone engines generate 1MJ/second, compared to Stirling's 1MJ/tick, so it takes 10 times longer with just one engine (I usually use 4), but you CAN pulverize and smelt pretty easily with just redstone engines. I just put a stack of whatever I want in and then go do something else for a while. I just put one stirling attached to each machine (so only one open face on the machine) if I need something in a hurry.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
As others have said, it does still work. Hell, I just did this last night on both my server and my Let's Play.

Redstone engines generate 1MJ/second, compared to Stirling's 1MJ/tick, so it takes 10 times longer with just one engine (I usually use 4), but you CAN pulverize and smelt pretty easily with just redstone engines. I just put a stack of whatever I want in and then go do something else for a while. I just put one stirling attached to each machine (so only one open face on the machine) if I need something in a hurry.

heh - need something in a hurry - flip on the combustion engine bank :)

Fuel is such a good source of energy, I really don't know why people waste their time with the "infinite" energy that redstone engines provide.

Phicksur

Jul 29, 2019
Fuel is such a good source of energy, I really don't know why people waste their time with the "infinite" energy that redstone engines provide.
Well, I never use combustion engines (never bothered making them), and play only in survival with my limited time, so for folks like me with patience redstone works fine, especially in the setup stage of a base.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

I don't use them because they're only useful for a limited time - while you have some oil - and during that time Im not likely to have gates, so the engines are actively dangerous to use.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
On the original topic, the first things I build are a turtle, and a coke oven. In my opinion, two of the cheapest, most useful things in the mod pack.

Reactions: Guswut

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
On the original topic, the first things I build are a turtle, and a coke oven. In my opinion, two of the cheapest, most useful things in the mod pack.
I used to do that for a while too.
My last startup had me build a rail line to bedrock instead. free rails from an abandoned mineshaft rocks hard.
Now i can travel to the bowels of the earth in style. money train style.
PS: I found the carts and crowbar to make trains to boot. all i had to do was add a furnace to one of the empty carts i found.
Gotta love rail-craft sometimes.

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
My current starting strategy on my new world is completely IC2 based. I got a generator/macerator going until I got my BatBox running. I turned my generator into 2 water mills and set up some tin cabling. I manually feed buckets of water into each to generate more power, and passively get some while mining. After I got a fair amount of resources, I started making solar panels until I had one LV array.

I always build into mountains and make 7x7 (inside measurements) rooms in a grid pattern, each with my most used crops. I got wheat, carrots, potatoes, and now flax. Currently working on a cheap sorting system. Probably will have to mix and match Buildcraft and RP2.

Direwolf20 pack, btw.

Edit: Also will need to get some bees running, mostly for fuel. Buildcraft is also a must, along with Thermal Expansion; some ores don't work in the macerator....

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
You know what I find vary under used in Modded MC?

Caving.

People just don't do it much preferring to auto mine the world alway.

Few things with going caving with decent gear. You can silk touch and fortune things giving you really high outputs when combined with processing. You get XP soooo much XP. You don't leave holes in your world. It can be a lot of fun.

Also you can combine caving with something like the enderbag to feed right into your processing system like you would your quarry or tunnel bore.

I know it is not for everyone. But I highly recommend at least doing some caving mid and even late game. It least to me never stops being fun.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I know it is not for everyone. But I highly recommend at least doing some caving mid and even late game. It least to me never stops being fun.

Caving is a nice change of pace, especially after you have an ender pouch system set up to sort your materials, but it will never beat the efficiency of an IC2 miner, or frame quarry. That said, caving is loads of fun, and needs to be done often in the early game.

But when you get into the midgame and endgame, caving is something that is really best left as something fun to do, and not a way to gather resources. Unless you find a hallow hill, and can silk touch the heck out of it, you won't get output anywhere near as high.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Caving is a nice change of pace, especially after you have an ender pouch system set up to sort your materials, but it will never beat the efficiency of an IC2 miner, or frame quarry. That said, caving is loads of fun, and needs to be done often in the early game.

But when you get into the midgame and endgame, caving is something that is really best left as something fun to do, and not a way to gather resources. Unless you find a hallow hill, and can silk touch the heck out of it, you won't get output anywhere near as high.

I found myself in a position late game on a Mindcrack server that mining anything by hand was simply a waste of time. My tunnel bore was a chunk wide with two heads, one at diamond another at copper level and a large 4-wide arm connecting the two- basically a large 'I'. Running through that tunnel to work on the bore I passed so many diamonds and the like but never stopped to mine them. The time I spent mining could have been spent on catching up to the bore (upwards of 15k blocks away) to get it operational and do the mining for me.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

The only output you need to match is the pace at which you want to do things.

That said caving works perfectly fine for me. I can get off work do an hour or two to unwind and then on the week end use all that material to do what I want to do.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Thaumcraft. A friend and I are focusing on it earlygame, and I'm predicting awesomeness. (Custom modpack, basically Mindcrack with Thaumic Bees, Universal Electricity, and possibly a few others that aren't coming to mind.) We haven't gotten very far, we've only researched Nitor so far, but, again, I expect great things.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Caving is a nice change of pace, especially after you have an ender pouch system set up to sort your materials, but it will never beat the efficiency of an IC2 miner, or frame quarry.
If you're just looking to tear up the world until you happen across whatever you might need at some point in the future, yeah. If you're looking for what you need right now, nothing beats spelunking.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The only output you need to match is the pace at which you want to do things.

That said caving works perfectly fine for me. I can get off work do an hour or two to unwind and then on the week end use all that material to do what I want to do.

Yeah, it is all about your pacing. And my pacing is "I like it when the number of iron ore blocks I have goes up a magnitude!", heh.

Besides that, though, at a certain point you will get more resources than you need. That point of oversaturation is one of the best places to be, as it is the start of the endgame.

If you're just looking to tear up the world until you happen across whatever you might need at some point in the future, yeah. If you're looking for what you need right now, nothing beats spelunking.
Especially if you "spelunk" in a hollow hill you keep saved away for just such an occasion.
But getting to the point where you never have the thought "Oh man, I wish I had one more stack of <X>" is extremely important for megabuilds.